The Student Room Group

Underrated/Overrated Actors thread?

simple , you can include TV and other actors in here if you want to , but out of all the actors you have seen , which performances do you think have been overrated by viewers or media and which of them do you think have been underrated?

Scroll to see replies

Underrated

Bruno Ganz (his depiction of Hitler in Der Untergang was mind-blowing)

Overrated

Tom Hanks (used to love him, but his performances since Road to Perdition have been abysmal)
Reply 2
Underrated: Stephen Root, Stephen Tobolowsky, Jim Beaver, Pete Postlethwaite, Richard Jenkins

Although tbf they are character actors all and probably wouldn't work headlining a film.
Reply 3
Underrated; Adrien Brody, Jamie Campbell Bower
Overrated; Gwyneth Paltrow, Megan Fox
Reply 4
underrated - Jason Done.
Underrated: Emily Deschanel - I think she is often typecasted as the weird, intelligent person within a group. I think she's capable of playing other roles...
From what I've seen of her performances, Sally Hawkins could count as an underrated actress, though it might be more accurate to say that she's just underexposed.
Reply 7
underrated Jason Done

overrated - Miley Cyrus
Reply 8
Original post by Lisa17
Underrated; Adrien Brody, Jamie Campbell Bower
Overrated; Gwyneth Paltrow, Megan Fox

Won an Oscar...
Reply 9
Pete Postlethwaite, Ralph Fiennes, Ciaran Hinds, Sam Rockwell, Garrett Dillahunt, Michael Stuhlbarg, Naomi Watts, Lee Van Cleef, and Eddie Marsan are/were all underrated.

Tom Hanks, Channing Tatum, Russell Brand, Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, and Will Ferrell are all overrated in my opinion.
Reply 10
Underrated- Shane West
Overrated-Tom Cruise
Reply 11
As much as I've liked him in the past, I actually think Johnny Depp is a bit overrated. There are other actors who are fantastic and on the same level of versatility as Depp who don't get nearly as much hype or attention.

Underrated: probably Cillian Murphy. I know he's recognisable but to me he just doesn't seem to get as much attention as he deserves - he's a great actor.
Reply 12
Original post by tjf8
Pete Postlethwaite, Ralph Fiennes, Ciaran Hinds, Sam Rockwell, Garrett Dillahunt, Michael Stuhlbarg, Naomi Watts, Lee Van Cleef, and Eddie Marsan are/were all underrated.

Tom Hanks, Channing Tatum, Russell Brand, Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, and Will Ferrell are all overrated in my opinion.

Good list for underrated, I would add Casey Affleck.

Not so sure about overrated, I do really love Cooper and Gosling.
Reply 13
Underrated :monty clift
Overrated : Humphrey Bogart
Overrated: Will Ferrell
Underrated: Gérard Depardieu
Reply 15
Underrated: Colin Morgan
Reply 16
Original post by danny111
Good list for underrated, I would add Casey Affleck.

Not so sure about overrated, I do really love Cooper and Gosling.

Casey Affleck is a great shout actually. He was so good in Jesse James. Much better than his brother in my opinion.
Reply 17
Original post by tjf8
Casey Affleck is a great shout actually. He was so good in Jesse James. Much better than his brother in my opinion.

I fell in love with him in Gone Baby Gone. I like everything about him, even his voice. I don't know how to express it, I think he really brings across the characters he plays.
Reply 18
Original post by danny111
I fell in love with him in Gone Baby Gone. I like everything about him, even his voice. I don't know how to express it, I think he really brings across the characters he plays.

I've not seen him in much, need to watch some more of his films.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Underrated

Bruno Ganz (his depiction of Hitler in Der Untergang was mind-blowing)

Overrated

Tom Hanks (used to love him, but his performances since Road to Perdition have been abysmal)

I think he over acted the bit where his Xbox subscription got cancelled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending