Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Underrated/Overrated Actors thread? Watch

ReputationRep:
    simple , you can include TV and other actors in here if you want to , but out of all the actors you have seen , which performances do you think have been overrated by viewers or media and which of them do you think have been underrated?

ReputationRep:
    Underrated

Bruno Ganz (his depiction of Hitler in Der Untergang was mind-blowing)

Overrated

Tom Hanks (used to love him, but his performances since Road to Perdition have been abysmal)

ReputationRep:
    Underrated: Stephen Root, Stephen Tobolowsky, Jim Beaver, Pete Postlethwaite, Richard Jenkins

Although tbf they are character actors all and probably wouldn't work headlining a film.

ReputationRep:
    Underrated; Adrien Brody, Jamie Campbell Bower
    Overrated; Gwyneth Paltrow, Megan Fox

ReputationRep:
    underrated - Jason Done.

ReputationRep:
    Underrated: Emily Deschanel - I think she is often typecasted as the weird, intelligent person within a group. I think she's capable of playing other roles...

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen of her performances, Sally Hawkins could count as an underrated actress, though it might be more accurate to say that she's just underexposed.

ReputationRep:
    underrated Jason Done

overrated - Miley Cyrus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa17)
    Underrated; Adrien Brody, Jamie Campbell Bower
    Overrated; Gwyneth Paltrow, Megan Fox
    Won an Oscar...

ReputationRep:
    Pete Postlethwaite, Ralph Fiennes, Ciaran Hinds, Sam Rockwell, Garrett Dillahunt, Michael Stuhlbarg, Naomi Watts, Lee Van Cleef, and Eddie Marsan are/were all underrated.

Tom Hanks, Channing Tatum, Russell Brand, Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, and Will Ferrell are all overrated in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Underrated- Shane West
    Overrated-Tom Cruise

ReputationRep:
    As much as I've liked him in the past, I actually think Johnny Depp is a bit overrated. There are other actors who are fantastic and on the same level of versatility as Depp who don't get nearly as much hype or attention.

Underrated: probably Cillian Murphy. I know he's recognisable but to me he just doesn't seem to get as much attention as he deserves - he's a great actor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Pete Postlethwaite, Ralph Fiennes, Ciaran Hinds, Sam Rockwell, Garrett Dillahunt, Michael Stuhlbarg, Naomi Watts, Lee Van Cleef, and Eddie Marsan are/were all underrated.

Tom Hanks, Channing Tatum, Russell Brand, Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, and Will Ferrell are all overrated in my opinion.
    Good list for underrated, I would add Casey Affleck.

Not so sure about overrated, I do really love Cooper and Gosling.

ReputationRep:
    Underrated :monty clift
    Overrated : Humphrey Bogart

ReputationRep:
    Overrated: Will Ferrell
    Underrated: Gérard Depardieu

ReputationRep:
    Underrated: Colin Morgan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Good list for underrated, I would add Casey Affleck.

Not so sure about overrated, I do really love Cooper and Gosling.
    Casey Affleck is a great shout actually. He was so good in Jesse James. Much better than his brother in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Casey Affleck is a great shout actually. He was so good in Jesse James. Much better than his brother in my opinion.
    I fell in love with him in Gone Baby Gone. I like everything about him, even his voice. I don't know how to express it, I think he really brings across the characters he plays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I fell in love with him in Gone Baby Gone. I like everything about him, even his voice. I don't know how to express it, I think he really brings across the characters he plays.
    I've not seen him in much, need to watch some more of his films.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Underrated

Bruno Ganz (his depiction of Hitler in Der Untergang was mind-blowing)

Overrated

Tom Hanks (used to love him, but his performances since Road to Perdition have been abysmal)
    I think he over acted the bit where his Xbox subscription got cancelled.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.