Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Website blocker? Need to get rid of distractions! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to get rid of distractions, TSR being one of them, in order to help me revise!
    I cant seem to have any will power to stop going on Twitter, TSR and Facebook and was wondering if there are any free programs which can limit my access to these sites?
    I dont want them blocked for good, I would just like their usage to go to 1 hour a day...
    I wish I could be like some and just have the will power to never go on these sites but I seem to be incapable.

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the library or somewhere quite take no electronics with you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CosmicVengeance)
    Just go to the library or somewhere quite take no electronics with you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would do that if i lived in the centre of town. I live in the middle of nowhere and would require a 30 minute car journey, so it is a bit of an inconvenience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DelBoy12)
    I need to get rid of distractions, TSR being one of them, in order to help me revise!
    I cant seem to have any will power to stop going on Twitter, TSR and Facebook and was wondering if there are any free programs which can limit my access to these sites?
    I dont want them blocked for good, I would just like their usage to go to 1 hour a day...
    I wish I could be like some and just have the will power to never go on these sites but I seem to be incapable.
    I tried using selfrestraint v.03, and that works pretty well and is very user-friendly!

ReputationRep:
    Googled it this sounds good? http://hackmystudy.com/how_to_block_..._websites.html

I've never actually used it though, so i don't know if it works

Lol dw i have the exact same problem, i just lock myself in my room and only leave for food

ReputationRep:
    http://getcoldturkey.com/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its called self-control. Heard it's free.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZRO)
    Yeah its called self-control. Heard it's free.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's also called being literate. If you read my post then you will see I am someone who lacks will power with regards to distractions and a FREE "website blocker" in any case is better than self-control

ReputationRep:
    Try "StayFocusd" if you use google chrome.

You can put a time limit on how long you're allowed on a website each day and you can set it so that if you attempt to change the settings well... you'll see 8D.

ReputationRep:
    If you have Chrome, then StayFocusd is the bomb

ReputationRep:
    Well, you won't be able to block distractions in near future when you'll need to focus on something. Just gather yourself up and say NO to distractions.

ReputationRep:
    It's also called being literate. If you read my post then you will see I am someone who lacks will power with regards to distractions and a FREE "website blocker" in any case is better than self-control
    No, there's actually an app called self-control. I think it's mac only though.

Also StayFocusd doesn't block all access, just access through Chrome and not even incognito so there's hardly any point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Well, you won't be able to block distractions in near future when you'll need to focus on something. Just gather yourself up and say NO to distractions.
    What is it with people on TSR who refuse to give helpful advice? I am asking for a program which blocks a few websites, not a life lesson.

I am now using "StayFocused" and only allowed 1 hour a day on websites which distract me. Cheers to the posters who actually answered my question

ReputationRep:
    What is it with people on TSR who refuse to give helpful advice? I am asking for a program which blocks a few websites, not a life lesson.

I am now using "StayFocused" and only allowed 1 hour a day on websites which distract me. Cheers to the posters who actually answered my question
    People are trying to help you by giving advice which is more useful than some programme which is just taking up space on the computer. You won't solve the problem by temporary hiding it..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.