Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Male dominance still present in society? Patriarchy watch

ReputationRep:
    Being the 21st century, 2013 we wouldn't really accept the fact that there is gender inequality but Is Male dominance still present in society?

0<x>140

ReputationRep:
    In some areas. But it is truer to talk about class inequality. You have more in common with the boy living next door to you than a privileged rich woman.

ReputationRep:
    In the buisness world, yes. In the family-running world, no.

ReputationRep:
    Need I say more?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2298528

ReputationRep:
    Of course there is. The genders will never be truly equal.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that systematic oppression and discrimination is brushed away as "boys will be boys", "it's evolutionary", "they can't help it", "it's just how things are", proves that it is. No other -ism in society would be so protected or casually labelled as inevitable and moved on from.

(Original post by edithwashere)
    Of course it is. Male dominance is always going to exist, it's instinctive (not that I agree with it for that matter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Your friend gets married, whose last name do you think everyone assumes they'll have? Who might cause some stir by keeping their last name? When people assume they're Mr and Mrs ____, how often do they guess the man's original name, and how often the woman's?
    Your friend tells you that one parent will stay at home with the children, who do you immediately assume it will be?
    Your friend isn't staying home with the children, and is going to work. Your friend is getting seriously judged for this. What gender is your friend?

It's more ingrained than you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaoshi)
    The fact that systematic oppression and discrimination is brushed away as "boys will be boys", "it's evolutionary", "they can't help it", "it's just how things are", proves that it is. No other -ism in society would be so protected or casually labelled as inevitable and moved on from.
    Male dominance is different from the oppression caused by male dominance. My point was that men are by nature status driven, and thus male dominance is inevitable. I's a sad fact that by being dominant, somebody else will probably be oppressed by your dominance. I didn't move on from it, I just didn't want to go on some long rant about patriarchy before this thread had even started developing a discussion.

Edit: also, since I said "I don't agree with it" why on earth did you neg me? I'm on your side of the argument :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    In some areas. But it is truer to talk about class inequality. You have more in common with the boy living next door to you than a privileged rich woman.
    Sorry but I don't get why id be more in common with the boy living next door than a rich woman?
    Sorry if it's obvious

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is. Male dominance is always going to exist, it's instinctive (not that I agree with it for that matter)
    Good point

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahaa, interesting - what are you trying to prove..

ReputationRep:
    I could disagree with you there, what about traditional families?

ReputationRep:
    I got in touch with my feminine side yesterday...made myself a sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodbye)
    Being the 21st century, 2013 we wouldn't really accept the fact that there is gender inequality but Is Male dominance still present in society?

0<x>140
    What are we classing as male dominance? An example please?

Your friend gets married, whose last name do you think everyone assumes they'll have? Who might cause some stir by keeping their last name? When people assume they're Mr and Mrs ____, how often do they guess the man's original name, and how often the woman's?
    Your friend tells you that one parent will stay at home with the children, who do you immediately assume it will be?
    Your friend isn't staying home with the children, and is going to work. Your friend is getting seriously judged for this. What gender is your friend?

LOL. Coming up with hypothetical situations when you can't be bothered to look for any solid facts. Again, what are we classing as male dominance? An example please?

Male dominance is different from the oppression caused by male dominance. My point was that men are by nature status driven, and thus male dominance is inevitable. I's a sad fact that by being dominant, somebody else will probably be oppressed by your dominance. I didn't move on from it, I just didn't want to go on some long rant about patriarchy before this thread had even started developing a discussion.

Edit: also, since I said "I don't agree with it" why on earth did you neg me? I'm on your side of the argument :rolleyes:
    What oppression? How are women oppressed? Can you provide any examples of a woman being oppressed that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that she is being "oppressed" for the nerve of being a woman?

All the scrambling for the moral high ground ITT. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

0<x>140
    More or less, and unless you change the biological make up of men and women that is likely to continue to be the case. I'd recommend Steven Goldberg's book on the same:

Specifiable hereditary psychophysiological differences between males and females engender in males a more-easily-released tendency for dominance behavior. This is observed by a society’s population and is incorporated in all aspects of socialization that mediate the psychophysiological and the institutional. As a result all societies, without exception, exhibit patriarchy, male status attainment, and male dominance.

In other words, the social is a dependent variable that gets its limits and direction from the independent variable of the psychophysiological.
    http://www.goldberg-patriarchy.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)

LOL. Coming up with hypothetical situations when you can't be bothered to look for any solid facts. Again, what are we classing as male dominance? An example please?

What oppression? How are women oppressed? Can you provide any examples of a woman being oppressed that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that she is being "oppressed" for the nerve of being a woman?

All the scrambling for the moral high ground ITT. :rolleyes:
    Male dominance suggests that males are superior over women. The examples given by Chaoshi suggest the way women might feel oppressed because they are downgraded to the jobs that give no respect. A woman might want to work but her family might think only males should work therefore not allow her to work.

ReputationRep:

Agreed. In some areas it is natural though e.g. businesses.

Another one to add to that list is "Mankind", it is thrown around a lot when referring to humankind.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's present... in isolated cases. Some guys are sexist idiots who consider themselves better than women, but I think it's reasonable to say that most aren't.

We males aren't born with some innate desire to repress women. We don't instinctively choose a male over a female as the best person for any job. We don't have secret board meetings where we sit around drinking Scotch, laughing and planning how to better subjugate females.

^ Might all seem obvious but I've heard many over-the-top feminists make equally stupid suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Male dominance suggests that males are superior over women. The examples given by Chaoshi suggest the way women might feel oppressed because they are downgraded to the jobs that give no respect. A woman might want to work but her family might think only males should work therefore not allow her to work.
    Those examples are all hypothetical, as is the one you gave. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Those examples are all hypothetical, as is the one you gave. :rolleyes:
    Have you watched the film bend it like beckham? That's a strong example, they don't let her play football because she's a girl.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.