Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of people who stay in education forever? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend started his UG degree in 2007, graduated in 2011, did a 2 year part-time PG course, completing this summer, and has now been offered a 5 year funded PhD beginning in September - all at the same uni!

In a way I am jealous, but what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    My friend started his UG degree in 2007, graduated in 2011, did a 2 year part-time PG course, completing this summer, and has now been offered a 5 year funded PhD beginning in September - all at the same uni!

In a way I am jealous, but what do you think?
    It just means he's clever and it following the natural route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    But is there not an argument to say that once you have achieved your first UG degree, then you now have the tools to at least start to earn money in the real world?

11 years at the same uni is insane! However, I am still jealous

ReputationRep:
    But is there not an argument to say that once you have achieved your first UG degree, then you now have the tools to at least start to earn money in the real world?

Eh, what if the person just wants to pursue his interests by going into academia.

Besides, judging by the 2 year PG course, and the 5 year part time PhD, he's either going to be taking it "easy" in comparison to a full time course, and possibly start working.

ReputationRep:
    Some of them make a good and prominent job. For example, I'm extremely grateful for services 've received from people in this very field while applying for the university. Thnx to Admission-Essays.org.=)

ReputationRep:

He's earning money... In the real world.

(Original post by tehforum)

What's that then? Hunt, gather, **** and make babies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    He's earning money... In the real world.
    No he is not.

His PhD is being funded by the Government, and in return he must act as a part-time lecturer at his uni, teaching all the eager young undergrads. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)

What's that then? Hunt, gather, **** and make babies?
    the natural route* for someone possessed of an academic intelligence and keen for a career in academia is to remain in university and pursue postgraduate study.

*standard path, usual avenue, normal course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.