Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have question on my revision work. Hope someone around here is able to help

Why is it a good approximation to assume that the relative mass of the G+, cations, calculated from the mass spectrometry, is the same as the relative atomic mass of Ga?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissa.darshini)
    I have question on my revision work. Hope someone around here is able to help

Why is it a good approximation to assume that the relative mass of the G+, cations, calculated from the mass spectrometry, is the same as the relative atomic mass of Ga?

Thanks in advance!
    Assuming you mean Ga+
    Because electrons have a tiny mass, even compared to protons and neutrons, around 1/1838. So the mass spec, and the Ar are very similar.

ReputationRep:
    As above, the mass of the electron lost during the ionisation is essentially not observable to us. If you consider the fact that an electron weighs 9.11x10-31 kg then it's obviously impossible to measure this with weighing scales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Assuming you mean Ga+
    Because electrons have a tiny mass, even compared to protons and neutrons, around 1/1838. So the mass spec, and the Ar are very similar.
    Oops! yes, assuming it's Ga+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissa.darshini)
    Oops! yes, assuming it's Ga+
    lol - no biggie.
    :tsr:
    welcome to TSR btw

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.