Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just curious to know whether or not a B/C grade in AS critical thinking would significantly disadvantage me when applying to oxbridge for computer science provided that I achieve 4 A's in other more 'legit' subjects?

thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Possibly, although as long as you have good grades (and very high UMS if you apply to Cambridge) in more relevant subjects they may overlook it. But try to at least scrape an A - critical thinking really isn't that hard! Did you chose to take Critical Thinking or was it obligatory at your school?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, not saying that I am going to get a b/c, but considering I haven't actually done any work for it, and that i've just scraped a B on a paper, there's always a possibility At my school either critical thinking or general studies are compulsory, not really sure on the reasoning behind this though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Possibly, although as long as you have good grades (and very high UMS if you apply to Cambridge) in more relevant subjects they may overlook it. But try to at least scrape an A - critical thinking really isn't that hard! Did you chose to take Critical Thinking or was it obligatory at your school?
    I chose to do critical thinking and general studies on top of my chosen 4 as courses, would universities not accept me even with good grades because i took the two enrichment courses? because that's what i keep hearing from friends
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by aklim21)
    I chose to do critical thinking and general studies on top of my chosen 4 as courses, would universities not accept me even with good grades because i took the two enrichment courses? because that's what i keep hearing from friends
    They're not going to reject you because you do CT and GS, but your grades in them will probably not significantly affect your chance of getting in anywhere unless they are significantly below your other grades. Although my friend got into Oxford with a D in GS, so perhaps they don't care at all...

Basically, try to get a decent grade in them (A/B) and you'll be fine. They don't really give you much of an advantage in terms of uni admissions though.

ReputationRep:
    Critical thinking.. Thinking about thinking.. Thinkception.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.