Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am currently a year 12 student, considering to apply for Pharmacy. I only studied Biology at IGCSE level, but I do Chemistry, Physics and further Maths for AS. Would that be a problem?

I have got some information from a few sources. But I am still not sure what a Pharmacist really does. Also, what kind of work experience should I get?

I would also like to read some books about Pharmacy. I do not know much about it. What would you suggest me to read?

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure about pharmacy books, could take a look at pjonline.com they have a lot of current pharmacy stories and some more information.

With biology, it may be a problem. I'm not 100% sure which but I know some unis ask for biology at AS level, so could be worth looking at where you want to apply and see if you need to take biology up next year?

Basically there are two main areas of pharmacy after graduation, hospital or community. Hospital pharmacists work as part of the medical team in the hospital, check medical orders and dispensed drugs, conduct medications reviews, basically answer any drug related questions etc. Community check dispensed drugs, offer medication advice and counselling and services such as stop smoking, health checks etc. If you want a fairly steady job with decent hours, a fair amount of flexibility and a great degree of patient contact then pharmacy could be for you. If you want to diagnose, prescribe or make lots of money then I'd look elsewhere.

Also a few go into industrial pharmacy, but only like 8-10 places a year I think.

Approach local independent pharmacies for work experience.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to read a book which introduces the basics of Pharmacy and have some knowledge about it. Please help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.