Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm considering applying for a PGCE for 2015 entry, and was informed by a university that the GCSE requirements in English and Maths will be raised to a grade B for 2014 entry and later.

Is this going to be a national requirement for all PGCE providers, or is it the individual universities choice?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattieB)
    Hello, i'm considering applying for a PGCE for 2015 entry, and was informed by a university that the GCSE requirements in English and Maths will be raised to a grade B for 2014 entry and later.

Is this going to be a national requirement for all PGCE providers, or is it the individual universities choice?

Thanks!
    I had read this through a post on this forum, but I have no more information to give you unfortunately as I haven't seen anything elsewhere.

Subscribing to this thread, as I wish to know the answer too. I have an A and B in English, so I'm covered there, but only a C in maths. I wish to do a secondary social science PGCE. I hope this isn't a nationwide thing or that it only applies to certain PGCE courses, otherwise that counts me out

Out of interest, which university told you this, and what PGCE subject/age group were you enquiring about?

ReputationRep:
    This was Aberystwyth Uni for Secondary Drama.

ReputationRep:
    I've contacted a couple of unis about it, i'll let you know once they reply.

ReputationRep:
    Aberystwyth and Birmingham City replied to me.

Aber said it will be a requirement for all PGCE courses in Wales, but they're not sure about England.

BCU said they can't be sure of what the requirements will be for 2015, but the guidelines are still currently grade C or above.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that the expected pass mark for the Professional skills test in Literacy and Numeracy (Now required before the course starts) would be raised to the level of a GCSE B, rather than actually requiring GCSE B grades in English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adporter)
    I heard that the expected pass mark for the Professional skills test in Literacy and Numeracy (Now required before the course starts) would be raised to the level of a GCSE B, rather than actually requiring GCSE B grades in English and Maths.
    I heard this too. There may be a link that Welsh training providers are asking for a Grade B at GCSE as you don't need to pass the skills tests before starting the course in Wales. Possibly?

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that this is going to happen. Though I would assume it will be like the 2.1 requirement, not a national thing and up to the individual unis. However, as we've seen with the 2.1 requirement, the majority of unis have adopted it despite it not being compulsary.
    All you can do is wait and see really. If you don't have the grades, you'll have to resit if those are the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    This has been rumoured for a while - it would make more sense to raise the tests to GCSE grade B standard than ask for it. I too have a Maths GCSE at grade C so would rather the requirements did not go up either I don't mind revising for a test rather than having to do a whole GCSE again!

I have passed the tests already so I take it I am not that bad at Maths even if it is only a C!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    This has been rumoured for a while - it would make more sense to raise the tests to GCSE grade B standard than ask for it. I too have a Maths GCSE at grade C so would rather the requirements did not go up either I don't mind revising for a test rather than having to do a whole GCSE again!

I have passed the tests already so I take it I am not that bad at Maths even if it is only a C!
    The current QTS tests are only KS3 maths standard though

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.