Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Short article on BBC News about a Samoan Airline charging passengers according to their weight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22001256

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Having someone sit on your leg for a long-haul flight can increase the risk of DVT (which can kill you), so instead of charging more, I'd just insist that if you can't fit into one seat, you buy a second. For the sake of your neighbour.

ReputationRep:
    Samoan people can't be too happy about this, those guys are freaking huge.

ReputationRep:
    they should do this everywhere.
    obviously for people who are huge, not just a bit fat.

can you imagine sitting on a long haul flight next to some 30 stone person?
    should have a section for morbidly obese people to sit in.

what i can never understand is- if you bag is slightly over the weight limit, you have to remove items, but people weigh far more so, will that 1 kg extra in your bag actually make any difference compared to someone weighing 25 stone?

i think samoan airlines had a good reason to do this- samoan people are huge!

ReputationRep:
    91% of Samoans are overweight/obese. Lol.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I don't really have a problem with this.

ReputationRep:
    I have to pay extra for going a little over my baggage allowance, yet the 30 stone mammoth who checks in next to me is allowed the same amount of luggage as me? I agree with the charge.

ReputationRep:
    Seems fair. If I have to pay extra for my baggage being a couple of kilos over the 20kg limit, they should have to pay more for adding an extra 15 stones of weight!

ReputationRep:
    Very against, it makes it cheaper for young children to travel and that would be a tragedy.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a great idea more airlines should do it, doesn't make sence how a child should pay for a full seat when they weigh much less than an adult. It will mainly give people an incentive to lose weight which is always good considering how much obesity costs the NHS haha.

ReputationRep:
    How sad. Poor Samoans. Is there only one ariline for them? if so how wrong is this?
    If Samoans are really obese (91%) it would seem to be not only discriminatory but also a method of controlling the population. Only people who are OK about the surcharge will pay. it is unfair.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather they charge for total weight - Say, you get a 110-120kg "free" limit and then you pay for extras? The average male mass is around the 80-90kg mark, plus 20kg for luggage and 10kg for carry-on. If you weigh less, you can take more. If you weigh more, take less.

Exceptions to be made for those with medical conditions which really do give them obesity.

It annoys me when they charge massive "overweight" fees for your luggage, yet don't even look at how much you weigh. How is a skinny 60kg person with 1kg of extra bags worse than a 200kg person with just a briefcase?

ReputationRep:
    Is it fair for those who are overweight for other reasons besides their own conscious actions? For example, drug aide effects, certain medical disorders, increased muscle mass, eating behaviours reinforced as a child, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure Somoa has a huge obesity problem (lamb flaps etc)

I don't really see a problem with it as long as it is totally objective. Presumably there would be an upper limit on weight anyway so it couldn't just be a case of the airline staff perceiving someone to be overweight and charging them.

ReputationRep:
    Aircraft don't work on number of seats, they work on weight. 100% behind this, should be adopted everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I support this, I'm only 74kg, how is it fair that I have to pay a surcharge for my suitcase being 500g over the weight limit* yet fatty boards with his vast 120kg bulk but with his suitcase within the weight limit and doesn't pay a penny extra?

And don't harp on about glandular problems/hypoglycaemia etc, if you're overweight, you're overweight.

*In reality, my suitcase barely reaches 10kg.

ReputationRep:
    It won't happen with EasyJet given that Sir Stelios is a large man, especially for his age.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I entirely agree with this in principle. However, in practice this is just going to make the check-in process really bureaucratic - is a small benefit to thin people actually worth the extra effort of having to subject every passenger to a 'weighing' every flight? I hope Samoans like long check-in queues!

ReputationRep:
    It's a fairly sound idea, but it is a bit unfair on tall people. A perfectly healthy tall person is going to have to pay more than a healthy short person. So it's not just fat people who are going to lose out.

ReputationRep:
    Weight of freight (human or non-human) is a determinant factor of the operating cost of an airliner; it is therefore entirely appropriate to charge customers variable amounts according to their weight, just as one may be charged for carrying more luggage or for sending bulkier items as cargo.

Really, airlines should charge people whatever they want for whatever reason or for no reason whatsoever; nobody is forced to buy a ticket from any particular airline; airlines that create value for consumers will be successful and those that fail to do so will not be. It's that simple.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.