Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am hopefully going to study at middlesex, and I know that getting a room with the unis accomodation is very unlikely as international students have preference. So I was looking at possibly flat share with students because I really want to live with other students! Does anyone have any advice, information or websites that could help me? Or is anyone interested in flat share for September 2013?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it's quite unlikely that you'll miss out on accommodation unless you live in London already. I live at Platt and there were sooooo many empty rooms that weren't filled at the beginning. If you apply to Platt (or at least have it as your second choice) then you'll get an offer. Don't worry.

Plus, I highly recommend living in halls if you can!

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you! That's really taken a weight off! I want to live in halls so bad, especially for my first year, so I feel a lot calmer now haha. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knappa90)
    Honestly, it's quite unlikely that you'll miss out on accommodation unless you live in London already. I live at Platt and there were sooooo many empty rooms that weren't filled at the beginning. If you apply to Platt (or at least have it as your second choice) then you'll get an offer. Don't worry.

Hi, I am also hoping to study at Middlesex and was really hoping to find some information on Platt halls and the route to Hendon campus. I looked at the distance from Platt to Hendon on googlemaps and it seemed quite a complicated journey to walk every day! The people I spoke to at the open day said it was a 10 minute walk but it took around the same time on the coach.. do the students have a preferred route to hendon or a common bus route?? as this is a factor in selecting my final uni. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it takes 10 minutes if you're a quick walker. Realistically though it's 15 minutes on average...at least for me anyway. But it's not a complicated route, it's literally just walking straight the entire way. For some reason there isn't a bus that goes directly to the uni, but there really isn't any need to get the bus, it's not a long walk at all!

ReputationRep:

That's untrue. I applied to Platt and was declined due to it being full, I did get a place at Ivy halls though.

I would have to reccomend Ivy Hall, it's the smallest, most tight knit and has excellent bus, rail and tube connections, closer to central however it takes slightly longer to get to Uni but only about 10 - 15 mins on the bus.

ReputationRep:
    Which halls are the best to stay in I don't mind the price just stuff life social life private bathrooms and showers etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shah_xx)
    Which halls are the best to stay in I don't mind the price just stuff life social life private bathrooms and showers etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Platt your guaranteed an en suite bathroom and from what I heard they have a generally good social life. Bad points I've heard are the cleaners aren't very good in the kitchen areas, birds often fly in (I know right?) and all the rooms look a bit like jail cells lol.

Usher, you won't get a place here unless your international pretty much.

Ivy there are on suite rooms, but you may not get one (like me), I hated the idea of sharing a bathroom at first but it really isn't that bad as there cleaned daily etc. We had a really good social life, partys all the time etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonnehh)
    That's untrue. I applied to Platt and was declined due to it being full, I did get a place at Ivy halls though.

I would have to reccomend Ivy Hall, it's the smallest, most tight knit and has excellent bus, rail and tube connections, closer to central however it takes slightly longer to get to Uni but only about 10 - 15 mins on the bus.
    Well, they lied to you. No two ways about it. Half of the rooms in my flat alone did not get taken until half way through the year. One guy in my flat has been living in Platt for the last three years. They told him at least three times that Platt was full but he knew that wasn't the case from previous experience - you gotta ring them up everyday and pester them otherwise they you'll lose out - they won't call you. I've also heard the weekly rent for accommodation at MDX is going up this year; if thats the case then it's almost certain that Platt will not get filled.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they lied to you. No two ways about it. Half of the rooms in my flat alone did not get taken until half way through the year. One guy in my flat has been living in Platt for the last three years. They told him at least three times that Platt was full but he knew that wasn't the case from previous experience - you gotta ring them up everyday and pester them otherwise they you'll lose out - they won't call you. I've also heard the weekly rent for accommodation at MDX is going up this year; if thats the case then it's almost certain that Platt will not get filled.
    hey, I have been 'unsuccessful' in my application for a place at Platt and had platt as my first and only option as I didn't want to live anywhere else! am gutted! really wanted to live in halls! but you genuinely think that if I keep calling them, that I may have a chance?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SarahLambe)
    x
    I've moved your thread here

ReputationRep:
    hey, I have been 'unsuccessful' in my application for a place at Platt and had platt as my first and only option as I didn't want to live anywhere else! am gutted! really wanted to live in halls! but you genuinely think that if I keep calling them, that I may have a chance?
    Yeah absolutely. Chances are that you'll move in two weeks after everybody else though - I think they want to be certain that people who are supposed to be occupying the rooms definitely aren't coming before offering the rooms to other people.

Don't get too down about it if you don't get a room though! Just mosey on down to Platt on the first night that everybody moves in - everyone will be outside meeting each other for the first time, you'll meet people that you'll friends with for the rest of your time at uni - that was one of the best nights that I can remember at Platt!

Halls is a great experience, but it was also an extreme pain in the arse!

Which other halls did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah absolutely. Chances are that you'll move in two weeks after everybody else though - I think they want to be certain that people who are supposed to be occupying the rooms definitely aren't coming before offering the rooms to other people.

Don't get too down about it if you don't get a room though! Just mosey on down to Platt on the first night that everybody moves in - everyone will be outside meeting each other for the first time, you'll meet people that you'll friends with for the rest of your time at uni - that was one of the best nights that I can remember at Platt!

Halls is a great experience, but it was also an extreme pain in the arse!

Which other halls did you choose?
    I am actually moving into a flat with 2 other girls now, just because I was too impatient to wait. Then as soon as I had sorted that I got an email from mdx saying there had been a cancellation and I have a room, and I actually had to decline it lol! It is such a faff though! So glad I'm finally sorted though, too much stress! Haha

ReputationRep:
    I am actually moving into a flat with 2 other girls now, just because I was too impatient to wait. Then as soon as I had sorted that I got an email from mdx saying there had been a cancellation and I have a room, and I actually had to decline it lol! It is such a faff though! So glad I'm finally sorted though, too much stress! Haha
    Ah! Well there are always cancellations, I know they'd offer you something. But you've probably made a better choice moving into private accommodation. As much as I loved halls, living in a flat/house is much better....at least I think so! But you should still go to Platt on the 23rd if you can, it's just such a great way to meet people!

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Well there are always cancellations, I know they'd offer you something. But you've probably made a better choice moving into private accommodation. As much as I loved halls, living in a flat/house is much better....at least I think so! But you should still go to Platt on the 23rd if you can, it's just such a great way to meet people!
    I am feeling good about it, hopefully it will be really good and yeah we will defo be going to everything happening at platt! Haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.