Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing A2 philosophy of religion and one topic is miracles. I find the responses both for and against the likely hood of miracles absolutely fascinating and would like to hear some more opinions.

So...

Do you believe in miracles? Why or why not?
    What to you perceive to be a miracle?
    Do you think a belief in a Supreme-Being is unnecessary for a belief in miracles?

I personally don't think I'll ever be able to come a concrete answer, but I would love to hear different opinions

ReputationRep:
    Outside of colloquial miracles, such as beating the odds or similar, miracles do not happen.

There is really no discussion about it. While the distinct possibility of a non- intervening god remains. An intervening god does not exist by virtue of a lack of evidence where evidence should be present.

There has never been an unexplainable miracle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Short Story Long)
    I'm currently doing A2 philosophy of religion and one topic is miracles. I find the responses both for and against the likely hood of miracles absolutely fascinating and would like to hear some more opinions.

So...

Do you believe in miracles? Why or why not?
    What to you perceive to be a miracle?
    Do you think a belief in a Supreme-Being is unnecessary for a belief in miracles?

I personally don't think I'll ever be able to come a concrete answer, but I would love to hear different opinions
    No, and it's annoying when a pilot does really well saving the lives of dozens of people then the credit goes to God.

Given enough instances, unlikely things will happen. Someone wins the lottery pretty much every week, but it isn't a miracle that one person out of millions managed to match the numbers.

(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Outside of colloquial miracles, such as beating the odds or similar, miracles do not happen.

There is really no discussion about it. While the distinct possibility of a non- intervening god remains. An intervening god does not exist by virtue of a lack of evidence where evidence should be present.

There has never been an unexplainable miracle.
    Dunno, that Dynamo guy does some pretty amazing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's all about chance and probability which are essentially linked. Miracles never just happen, luck just happens
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    No such thing as miracles. Just chance and time.

Someone actually define what the OP means by miracle?

ReputationRep:
    No. /end thread

ReputationRep:
    First tell me what a miracle constitutes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)

Well, I was actually inviting people to say what they thought a miracle was because interpretations are bound to differ depending on the definition they are referring to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)

Divine or supernatural intervention. The equivalent word for miracle in arabic is Mu'djiza which literally means "that by which confounds and overwhelms".

ReputationRep:
    A happy outcome resulted by chance, for me that is. If you are stuck in a negative situation for so long, something positive happening is said to be miraculous. You just have chance at your side.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for answering. So is a common idea that 'it's just chance or luck'? But can this chance or luck be attributed to a supreme being?

I don't want you all to think that I'm totally pro-miracles, I just wan't some new and alternative ideas for when I write my essays. All responses welcome.

Also:
    Anyone who does believe in miracles, why?
    What does the word 'miracle' mean to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Short Story Long)
    Thank you everyone for answering. So is a common idea that 'it's just chance or luck'? But can this chance or luck be attributed to a supreme being?

I don't want you all to think that I'm totally pro-miracles, I just wan't some new and alternative ideas for when I write my essays. All responses welcome.

Also:
    Anyone who does believe in miracles, why?
    What does the word 'miracle' mean to you?
    Chance is just the probability of some event occurring. Does a coin landing as a head or tail need a supreme being? Through the process of randomness and other natural processes you get to a certain result, and the higher the likelihood of something happening, the more times it will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0x2a)
    Chance is just the probability of some event occurring. Does a coin landing as a head or tail need a supreme being? Through the process of randomness and other natural processes you get to a certain result, and the higher the likelihood of something happening, the more times it will happen.
    I really like the bit in bold, will be using that in some way or another. Interesting point, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Years ago my sister's hampster went missing in the garage (long story as to why he was in there that night). In the morning my mum went to the garage to get him and the cage was on the floor with the door open and hammie had gone.

She drove around the alley way at the back of the house looking for him and praying for God to show us that he cared for the small things in our lives as well as the big things. All day we searched for the hampster in the garden, garage etc. We built ladders with food trails and all sorts but the hampster was still missing in the evening.

I was really young and couldn't sleep as I was upset so about 9.oopm ish I came down and said I couldn't sleep because the hampster was missing and was really upset, just at that moment we saw a white dot move across the dark patio outside, my mum screamed to my dad that the hampster had just run across the patio to the bence, he scoffed but did as he was told and went out to have a look. A few seconds later he raised his cupped hands and in there was hammie, totally unharmed and oblivious to what had happened. Now that was a miracle.

(Hampster's name has been changed for reasons of privacy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    No, and it's annoying when a pilot does really well saving the lives of dozens of people then the credit goes to God.
    Adding to that:

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in miracles in the religious sense, but I think a lot of things in science are miraculous. Just in general, like young being born and stuff. Yes it can be explained by science but to me that doesn't make it any less amazing or miraculous that it happens.

But for it's a definite no to miracles with divine intervention
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't believe in miracles because when considering whether I ought to believe a claimed thing, I must qualify it against criteria whose purpose serves to sieve out false claims. If a person claims something extraordinary to me, I can't just accept it because there are far many more extraordinary things claimed than there are extraordinary things that are true. If I want to believe only the true ones then I must have some method for protecting myself from the false ones. The way for me to believe an extraordinary claimed thing is for there to be reason for me to believe it - there must be some form of evidence speaking to its truthfulness.

If there is ever any evidence that a deity has intervened in human affairs, and I come across that evidence, then I would be the first to believe it. If it seems more likely than not that a miracle has occurred, then I will believe it; if not then I won't. Any miracles that have so far occurred, it seems they do not have enough evidence to make them seem more likely to have occurred than not, and so I remained unconvinced.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ReputationRep:
    Depends. A person who doesn't believe in God could say it's a scientific event that came about at the right time (so just a coincidence or chance). A person who believes in God could say either: A) God did it and they may ignore any scientific explanations. B) God brought the miracle about through science so that we can understand.

Personally, I just don't know.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting really because it's very hard to define a miracle. Travelling in the air for example would seem miraculous to almost everyone a couple of hundred years ago. Although now, this is very much normal. So where as something may seem miraculous at one period in time, it's nothing short of ordinary in another period. But is this the best way to describe a miracle? It may argued that a miracle does not have to be something extraordinary. For example some would say life itself is as a miracle.

However others would say a miracle is something which goes against the laws of Physics (although there is probably more things which we do not know than that which we do know so again it's tough to tell). For example conservation of energy is arguably the holiest of laws in Physics. But what happens if this concept is broken, does that mean it's a miracle or does this mean we'll need to revise the Physics?

So my question is, how do we know if something is a miracle anyway?

To answer your question anyway OP, I do believe in miracles in a sense that miracles are things which do go against the nature of the universe but I think this is only possible through the will of God. How we tell whether something is a miracle or not is a different question.

Does this mean that if I saw something extraordinary, I would attribute it to a miracle? Not necessarily but rather I would try to identify why/how it happened using Physics. However I do believe that certain actions in the past are miracles. This then leads to another question, can miracles still occur today?

ReputationRep:
    Will tell if i get an A* for accounting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.