Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting into that perfect little pink dress :) Watch

• PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hi there,

I'm new to this world of exercise. I am bored of being the fat one out of my friends and really want to start getting fit. Especially as my 21st birthday is in November and I really want to fit in this nice monsoon dress I have. I know this forum is pretty good and I always lurk about so any advice you can give me is great. My main issue is I lack motivation, I start something and get bored. And cheese. I blooming love cheese.

So yes, I've just started going to spin classes on a monday night. My stomach muscles are aching, and I do have a weighted hoola hoop and stationary bicycle in the house.

I'm 5ft3 and I weigh exactly 11.07stone. My stepdad got this awesome set of scales and everyone has their own profile :awesome: but he's a fitness freak.

Anyone have any recipes they've tried and can comment on?

Any tips or inspirational stories I'd appreciate.

Here are my starting photos.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  2013-04-01 18.49.22.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  306.1 KB
    Attached Images

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Subbed

But seriously, welcome to the club Have you heard of a website called "My fitness pal"? I would highly recommend it as it allows you to really calorie count to quite a lot of detail :yep: I've been doing it since December and lost almost 2 stones :gah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Hi there,

I'm new to this world of exercise. I am bored of being the fat one out of my friends and really want to start getting fit. Especially as my 21st birthday is in November and I really want to fit in this nice monsoon dress I have. I know this forum is pretty good and I always lurk about so any advice you can give me is great. My main issue is I lack motivation, I start something and get bored. And cheese. I blooming love cheese.

So yes, I've just started going to spin classes on a monday night. My stomach muscles are aching, and I do have a weighted hoola hoop and stationary bicycle in the house.

I'm 5ft3 and I weigh exactly 11.07stone. My stepdad got this awesome set of scales and everyone has their own profile :awesome: but he's a fitness freak.

Anyone have any recipes they've tried and can comment on?

Any tips or inspirational stories I'd appreciate.

Here are my starting photos.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  2013-04-01 18.49.22.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  306.1 KB
    Welcome :awesome:

A lot of people have trouble with motivation, once that is addressed everything goes a lot more smoothly. A good playlist is normally a good start and getting some variety in workouts helps too. So mix up the cardio with running, cycling and swimming (if possible).

Diet wise try to lay off the fatty foods, and up the fruits and veg - boring as it may seem at first, but there are some good websites online for recipes etc. And snacking tends to be a real problem for people, so replace the biscuits () with fruit or not at all.

Good luck
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Subbed

But seriously, welcome to the club Have you heard of a website called "My fitness pal"? I would highly recommend it as it allows you to really calorie count to quite a lot of detail :yep: I've been doing it since December and lost almost 2 stones :gah:
    Yup, I have it on my phone and I have it in my sig spoiler
    And wow that's so good!
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    Welcome :awesome:

A lot of people have trouble with motivation, once that is addressed everything goes a lot more smoothly. A good playlist is normally a good start and getting some variety in workouts helps too. So mix up the cardio with running, cycling and swimming (if possible).

Diet wise try to lay off the fatty foods, and up the fruits and veg - boring as it may seem at first, but there are some good websites online for recipes etc. And snacking tends to be a real problem for people, so replace the biscuits () with fruit or not at all.

Good luck
    Yea, I'm thinking about going to the uni gym, and oh, recommend any good artists? I'm not too bad at snacking, I don't usually I think its my portion sizes I need to deal with. I hate fruit though :P I love love veggies though

ReputationRep:
    Download this and listen to it pre-workout, hypes you up to no end

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I have it on my phone and I have it in my sig spoiler
    And wow that's so good!

Yea, I'm thinking about going to the uni gym, and oh, recommend any good artists? I'm not too bad at snacking, I don't usually I think its my portion sizes I need to deal with. I hate fruit though :P I love love veggies though
    Artist-wise it really depends on your preferences. My own playlists vary quite a bit and I use them depending on mood and workout, so for a long cardio workout I listen to some Bach and other classical music. For shorter, more intense workouts it can be the Foo Fighters, The Killers et al.

If you are going to use the uni gym then using weights might also be a good idea. Weights can be very good for losing weight (bizarrely) and are also good for breaking up tedium.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    Download this and listen to it pre-workout, hypes you up to no end

Thanks, it's good reminds me of spin class lol.
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    Artist-wise it really depends on your preferences. My own playlists vary quite a bit and I use them depending on mood and workout, so for a long cardio workout I listen to some Bach and other classical music. For shorter, more intense workouts it can be the Foo Fighters, The Killers et al.

If you are going to use the uni gym then using weights might also be a good idea. Weights can be very good for losing weight (bizarrely) and are also good for breaking up tedium.
    The thing is, I don't know how to use weights, sounds stupid I know, and I'm scared I'll hurt myself. Or embarass myself next to all the big rugby boys

ReputationRep:
    Best advice I could give is, if you want to lose weight, track calories religiously! I recommend myfitnesspal.com

Also, perhaps consider the possibility of doing some machines or weights - weight loss is great, but if you don't stimulate those muscles, you'll lose some muscle mass as you lose weight - this means that body composition doesn't change that much, and you'll ultimately be left with an "untoned" physique.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely recommend a calorie counting app! I've lost 3.5 stone from my heaviest weight from counting calories and exercising a bit more.
    It's hard to start with but when you start seeing those pounds melting away and your clothes fitting so much better you'll be motivated to the max!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STp1UtMrKR4

Great motivation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    Best advice I could give is, if you want to lose weight, track calories religiously! I recommend myfitnesspal.com

Also, perhaps consider the possibility of doing some machines or weights - weight loss is great, but if you don't stimulate those muscles, you'll lose some muscle mass as you lose weight - this means that body composition doesn't change that much, and you'll ultimately be left with an "untoned" physique.

Have you considered taking up a sport like skiing or climbing or tennis or something uni is a great place to do these things the nice thing is your working out but you don't even relies it

ReputationRep:
    Subbed-good luck
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by HFerguson)

Yea, I used it in the past but I broke my phone so I didn't have the app before. So hopefully keep at it! I've started spin class and I'm going to try and do exercise at home I really like the hoola hoop. But I dunno if that's any good.

(Original post by xStaceyy)
    I definitely recommend a calorie counting app! I've lost 3.5 stone from my heaviest weight from counting calories and exercising a bit more.
    It's hard to start with but when you start seeing those pounds melting away and your clothes fitting so much better you'll be motivated to the max!

Good luck
    Well done :awesome: I know I'm the heaviest I've ever been right now, when the scale tipped to 11stone I realised I had to change. I blame the boyfriend :P I got complacent and I started eating more with him. But I'm going to try eating healthier and my mum does slimming world so I'm going to steal recipes from her.

P.S Glasgow :five:
    Thank you very much
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    Have you considered taking up a sport like skiing or climbing or tennis or something uni is a great place to do these things the nice thing is your working out but you don't even relies it
    I know, the only sport I do at uni is archery which isn't much. I was thinking hockey next year as I used to play at school. But I'd have to wait til next term as uni is pretty much finished for the year

(Original post by areebmazhar)
    Subbed-good luck
    Thanks If I don't post come yell at me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it's good reminds me of spin class lol.

The thing is, I don't know how to use weights, sounds stupid I know, and I'm scared I'll hurt myself. Or embarass myself next to all the big rugby boys
    Everyone starts somewhere. A good exercise for weight-loss using weights are squats. There are some videos on youtube showing the correct technique and do not be afraid to ask an instructor for help regarding form .

If you do not want to use weights then just vary the cardio between HIIT (high intensity interval training - basically you go as hard as you can for 30 seconds, then rest period, and repeat.) and long steady pace training. Also vary by going on ergos (rowing machines), treadmill, swimming, cycling etc.

ReputationRep:
    I have found doing weights class really effective for losing weight and toning up which makes you look slimmer and feel great too. I don't know if they do a body pump class at the uni or nearby leisure centre but I would highly recommend of they do. I usually combine this with some cardio excercise as well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Ceri123)
    I have found doing weights class really effective for losing weight and toning up which makes you look slimmer and feel great too. I don't know if they do a body pump class at the uni or nearby leisure centre but I would highly recommend of they do. I usually combine this with some cardio excercise as well.
    I used to do kickboxing and loved it so I'm definately looking into body pump and body attack classes

On another note. I've been using my fitness plus and I'm not doing great I've to have 1200 kcal according to it and I've been over by like 200 the past two days. Eek. I'll get used to it eventually!

ReputationRep:
    I used to do kickboxing and loved it so I'm definately looking into body pump and body attack classes

On another note. I've been using my fitness plus and I'm not doing great I've to have 1200 kcal according to it and I've been over by like 200 the past two days. Eek. I'll get used to it eventually!
    I was dieting for a few months last year and had a 1200 calorie limit, it does get a lot easier in time! My mistake in the end was getting really obsessive over it: it's important to find a good balance between obsessing over every grape and being too casual about it, and that can take a while.

Anyway, if you're only 200 over just now that's still only 1400 a day, which is good! I'm currently adhering to 1500 per day and still losing weight...I was so used to sub-1200 that eating 1500 a day seems ridiculously indulgent, but it's still working
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by sweetestwave)
    I was dieting for a few months last year and had a 1200 calorie limit, it does get a lot easier in time! My mistake in the end was getting really obsessive over it: it's important to find a good balance between obsessing over every grape and being too casual about it, and that can take a while.

Anyway, if you're only 200 over just now that's still only 1400 a day, which is good! I'm currently adhering to 1500 per day and still losing weight...I was so used to sub-1200 that eating 1500 a day seems ridiculously indulgent, but it's still working
    Yea! The worst thing is I still have all my easter chocolate. And it's so yummy. I had a wispa chocolate bar today!

ReputationRep:
    Yea! The worst thing is I still have all my easter chocolate. And it's so yummy. I had a wispa chocolate bar today!
    I just noticed the pictures in your op and realised that we know each other, I'm Rachel from archery

I spent the Easter weekend in Edinburgh eating chocolate and being lazy and then I weighed myself when I got home and I'd lost two pounds since Thursday, still no idea how I managed that one!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by sweetestwave)
    I just noticed the pictures in your op and realised that we know each other, I'm Rachel from archery

I spent the Easter weekend in Edinburgh eating chocolate and being lazy and then I weighed myself when I got home and I'd lost two pounds since Thursday, still no idea how I managed that one!
    Ahh small world! Were you seeing your other half, I think I remember you saying he was in edinburgh.

Haha, I tried not to eat too much, but Tim bought me a big wispa egg. Also you going to archery tomorrow :P x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.