Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it immoral to be extremely wealthy?

Is it immoral, regardless of your talents or ability within any occupation, to be 'extremely wealthy'?

Once an individual reaches a personal wealth of say, £10M, which in my opinion is extreme wealth, is it immoral not to donate a large proportion of your future earnings to charitable causes or those less wealthy than you?

This question is regardless of occupation and is not intended to be an attack on the financial sector (or any other sector for that matter). I'm just interested in what the TSR community defines 'extreme wealth' to be and if it has any moral restrictions.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Well, morality is all subjective. For me, no - it isn't actively harming someone, so it isn't immoral.

ReputationRep:
    Who defines what extreme wealth is? I'm sure if you told people in certain parts of Africa about your life they would view it as one of extreme luxury. Surely if whoever we designate as wealthy should be morally obliged to donate a large portion of their wealth then so should we? Why should we expect people with more money to have better morals than everyone else who could afford to give up their luxuries but doesn't? It could be viewed as immoral that they don't help the poor and downtrodden of this world however the vast majority of people in the UK or indeed the developed world should be considered just as immoral.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think extreme wealth is. The reason that some people are so poor is because there are people with far more money than they could ever even think about spending just sat there collecting more money. Greed is immoral.

ReputationRep:
    Billionaires like bill gates and buffet and even Steve jobs deserves all the wealth they earned.

Some crazy movie stars and sports personalities however don't.

I basing movie stars cuz I often read in the news them buying their kid 6.9 million mansion/treehouse and all that bull rap. L

ReputationRep:
    I would not call it immoral, no. Donating money would obviously be a nice thing to do, but you can still be a moral person with such wealth.
    In most countries, everybody is obliged to pay various amounts of taxes. So a person living in extreme wealth will pay vast amounts to society, whether they want to or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Well, morality is all subjective. For me, no - it isn't actively harming someone, so it isn't immoral.
    I beg to differ, refusing to share a portion of your supposed wealth is "actively" harming society in that you are being greedy amid poverty you revel in ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, completely, hence the 'in my opinion'. I'm interested to know what you all view the 'extreme' part as.

In my mind, if I was a multi-millionaire, the incentive to become more wealth would be gone.

I wonder where you would all draw the line between ambition and greed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    I would not call it immoral, no. Donating money would obviously be a nice thing to do, but you can still be a moral person with such wealth.
    In most countries, everybody is obliged to pay various amounts of taxes. So a person living in extreme wealth will pay vast amounts to society, whether they want to or not.
    What would you, in figures, describe as 'extreme wealth'?

ReputationRep:
    well as long as it still is the life long goal of most people in the society, it can't become immoral.
    Personally though, I hope the society move away from everyone wanting to accumulate as much wealth as possible, and actually care about things that matters.

ReputationRep:
    no whats immoral is calling people with wealth stingy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    Billionaires like bill gates and buffet and even Steve jobs deserves all the wealth they earned.

Some crazy movie stars and sports personalities however don't.

I basing movie stars cuz I often read in the news them buying their kid 6.9 million mansion/treehouse and all that bull rap. L
    I'm not sure about Bill Gates, microsoft had a monopoly on software for years.

He'd probably still be massively wealthy if they hadn't but to say he deserves all the money he has accumulated isn't necessarily true.

ReputationRep:
    Hoarding money could be seen as immoral

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    Billionaires like bill gates and buffet and even Steve jobs deserves all the wealth they earned. L

hmmmm even though they achieved a lot and worked very hard, im sure theres so many others who have worked just as hard/more hard and have only got average wealth..... you have to admit they were extremely lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncsoftlover)
    well as long as it still is the life long goal of most people in the society, it can't become immoral.
    Personally though, I hope the society move away from everyone wanting to accumulate as much wealth as possible, and actually care about things that matters.
    Yeah, I agree with you. We've got Edward Bernays in part to thank for that. I don't believe we're naturally greedy - or at least don't want to - I just can't see why you'd want to accumulate more wealth once you were a millionaire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dejah Thoris)
    I beg to differ, refusing to share a portion of your supposed wealth is "actively" harming society in that you are being greedy amid poverty you revel in ignorance.
    Well, in the same sense, not giving your wealth to society is immoral, then you being on this site and not giving your time to "society" is also immoral.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dejah Thoris)
    No, taking that money from people would actively harm society. Not sharing it is simply not helping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Well, in the same sense, not giving your wealth to society is immoral, then you being on this site and not giving your time to "society" is also immoral.
    How would you quantify time in money?

ReputationRep:
    No, taking that money from people would actively harm society. Not sharing it is simply not helping.
    It's just semantics catering to the greedy. Having the means and yet failing to utilise it for the greater good is just as bad as acquiring said means via questionable methods.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 321zero)
    Oh yeah, completely, hence the 'in my opinion'. I'm interested to know what you all view the 'extreme' part as.

In my mind, if I was a multi-millionaire, the incentive to become more wealth would be gone.

I wonder where you would all draw the line between ambition and greed.
    Well, that's not really to do with morality, right?

I don't think ambition and greed are mutually exclusive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.