Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eligibility for student loan watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I am a Swiss National (thanks to my grandmother!) but I was born and raised in South Africa where my immediate family currently resides. I arrived in the UK in March 2011 and I currently work in a Primary School as a teacher's assistant. I have been working there for two years. I applied to do a PGCE at Cambridge University starting September 2013 and I have been conditionally accepted. (CRAZY SHOUT OF JOY!) I have been investigating the requirements for student loans and because my family does not reside in the UK and I am 7 months short of 3 years when starting the course, it looks as though I will be unable to get one :cry2: This is devastating because the likelihood of getting accepted in a year's time to CAMBRIDGE is not very high. Can anyone suggest other options for me? Could I not still be considered because the course would be vocational training? Any advice would be enormously appreciated.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Ellenjayne,

Firstly congratulations on getting accepted into Cambridge!

Unfortunately though you won't be entitled to any student finance from SFE for this course as you don't meet the minimum residency requirements.

It might be an idea to speak with you the uni about the possibility of keeping your place but deferring it by a year, lots of universities can be accommodating about this.

Alternatively you may qualify for a Career Development Loan instead, more details here: http://bit.ly/YYcRAG

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.