Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As above, I am starting Physics at UoL in September and was wondering whether you need a laptop to take to university or is a laptop not a requirement of the courses?

I have a laptop at the moment, it is just an Dell Inspiron which will be about 3 years old in December, which is fine for general surfing the web and letter writing etc. It will not be any good if I need a laptop for university, so I would have to buy one, which I would rather not have too.

Does anyone know whether you need a laptop to take to university in order to complete your course?

Regards

ReputationRep:
    It's not technically a requirement; you can get by without one using the computers on the campus, but it'll make your life much easier if you do have one. Finding a computer can be tricky around exam times, and there is a lot of work which needs to be done and submitted electronically, so you'd have to be at uni to do that.

Having said that, all it really needs to be able to do is run the internet and MS Word, you don't need a high spec one, so I don't really see why you'd need to get a new one. Pretty much all you'll be doing on it is writing up reports/essays, submitting reports/essays, and researching for reports/essays. If you need more storage then just get a USB or external hard drive. It doesn't matter if it's a bit old, you'll be able to get by while you maybe try and save a bit to getting a new one when it starts dying. You could also consider just buying a netbook or something; bit cheaper and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyimbored)
    It's not technically a requirement; you can get by without one using the computers on the campus, but it'll make your life much easier if you do have one. Finding a computer can be tricky around exam times, and there is a lot of work which needs to be done and submitted electronically, so you'd have to be at uni to do that.

Having said that, all it really needs to be able to do is run the internet and MS Word, you don't need a high spec one, so I don't really see why you'd need to get a new one. Pretty much all you'll be doing on it is writing up reports/essays, submitting reports/essays, and researching for reports/essays. If you need more storage then just get a USB or external hard drive. It doesn't matter if it's a bit old, you'll be able to get by while you maybe try and save a bit to getting a new one when it starts dying. You could also consider just buying a netbook or something; bit cheaper and all that.

Like I said I have one already which I can use, but I was asking if I needed specifically to take actually into university (lectures), not just for university, if you get my gist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAXONGB)
    Like I said I have one already which I can use, but I was asking if I needed specifically to take actually into university (lectures), not just for university, if you get my gist.
    I get what you mean now. No, you don't need to take a laptop to lectures or into uni at all. A couple of people do sometimes, but pen and paper is much better, and you'll be given lecture notes

ReputationRep:
    As above, I am starting Physics at UoL in September and was wondering whether you need a laptop to take to university or is a laptop not a requirement of the courses?

I have a laptop at the moment, it is just an Dell Inspiron which will be about 3 years old in December, which is fine for general surfing the web and letter writing etc. It will not be any good if I need a laptop for university, so I would have to buy one, which I would rather not have too.

Does anyone know whether you need a laptop to take to university in order to complete your course?

Regards
    I'm 2nd year and the only thing I've used my laptop for (for the physics course) is writing stuff out in Open Office. You will never take your laptop to lectures and can get away fine without one full stop. The more advanced programs you use in physics are used on their computers anyway, all you literally need a computer for in physics is word documents and excel sheets (if that). You'll be absolutely fine with an old laptop only useful for browsing

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both.

ReputationRep:

Regards
    I'd reccommend the 12 inch macbook. It is expensive however it is worth looking into the first edition model to save money. This is an incredibly light laptop which you could just easily place in your bag, and it also has a very good battery life meaning if you have it charged up to say 50 percent it will still last you through a 9-5 at uni. It is powerful enough to handle having many applications at once and it can use programming stuff as well like Matlab ect without any issues. If you think you're going to rely on a laptop to use every single day, it's worth splashing out on a good one if you can afford to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.