Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please answer!! How does an EPQ work? Has anyone done one for Law? I'm in yr12 and wanted to do one, is it worth it and do unis care

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    EPQs are generally looked upon very highly by universities- especially the top ones. I have a friend whose offer was lowered at a certain highly respected university because of his good EPQ grade.
    They are very interesting, one of my friends is doing one on law, but whether you should do one or not depends entirely on you.
    They are completely independent- you can't do no work all year and pick it up at the end, it's a hell of a lot of work and you need to be par excellent at time management to do really well.
    It also depends on what support you have- the only reason I think i've managed to get through this is because our class is relatively small, i'm close to the teacher as they teach me in two other subjects and therefore the course is very personal and because my mum works at a university, so she knows what to write/how to write and I can always borrow her library card and get out academic books as our local library isn't very good.
    They can be expensive, if you don't have access to resources academic books can cost about £20 (even if they're second hand) and if you're doing an artefact, buying all of the paints, films, developing equiptment etc it can all add up.
    However, I think the benefit greatly outweighs the cost. I took the course because I have a huge interest in pursuing my own interests and not being bound by a chosen curriculum and because my GCSE results weren't shiny and perfect int he maths, science and french department, and if one of my other as levels doesn't go very well i'm hoping a good EPQ will make up for it, and it probably will, because unlike usual courses it demonstrates all of the skills you actually need and use at univeristy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.