The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
At A-level? Or AS?

Fundamentally, choose the course you prefer, at a university you want to be at for 3 or 4+ years.

A level going through clearing
All same courses electronic and computer engineering
Which is regarded the better uni
Original post by Topgear69
A level going through clearing
All same courses electronic and computer engineering
Which is regarded the better uni

They are all well regarded.
Reply 522
I am an international student who is applying with APs and I would like to know your opinion concerning the universities that I am applying to. My knowledge of the rankings of UK universities rely on the rankings that I found online and therefore I am not sure which one to trust so I wonder how would you rank Edinburgh, UCL, Southampton and Manchester in terms of EEE. These seemed like the top universities to me from my brief research but I would value any advice concerning other top ranking universities as well. Have a nice day.
Original post by uk2018
I am an international student who is applying with APs and I would like to know your opinion concerning the universities that I am applying to. My knowledge of the rankings of UK universities rely on the rankings that I found online and therefore I am not sure which one to trust so I wonder how would you rank Edinburgh, UCL, Southampton and Manchester in terms of EEE. These seemed like the top universities to me from my brief research but I would value any advice concerning other top ranking universities as well. Have a nice day.

All four are excellent universities for EE.
(edited 6 years ago)
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/electrical-engineering/communications-signal-processing/ would this master course contribute to acquiring knowledge for the creation of endless energy added to a BEng EEE course which covers electromagnetics, electromagnetic induction and alt. and dir. current? Are digital signals always electric?
Original post by elgaucho
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/electrical-engineering/communications-signal-processing/ would this master course contribute to acquiring knowledge for the creation of endless energy added to a BEng EEE course which covers electromagnetics, electromagnetic induction and alt. and dir. current? Are digital signals always electric?

What are you actually asking?

Creation of endless energy??

Are digital signals always electric??

For a start, do you understand the electromagnetic spectrum...
What are you actually asking?

Creation of endless energy??

Are digital signals always electric??

For a start, do you understand the electromagnetic spectrum...

haha, are digital signals always electric?
haha, are digital signals always electric?

What did my last statement say?

Is light "electric"?
What did my last statement say?

Is light "electric"?

no? so would that master course have anything to do with electricity generation?
no? so would that master course have anything to do with electricity generation?

Light is part of the EM spectrum

Anyway, that course is electronics and communications, not electrical. Why do you think it has anything to do with power generation?
Okay, I'm a 3rd physics student. My project will be on electronics. I'm just wondering if I do enjoy it a lot, and end up considering a career based on it. Will it be okay? Considering I don't have an eee degree. Thanks!
Original post by H.a.hx
Okay, I'm a 3rd physics student. My project will be on electronics. I'm just wondering if I do enjoy it a lot, and end up considering a career based on it. Will it be okay? Considering I don't have an eee degree. Thanks!

I still don't really know what you are asking. If Imperial's stated entry requirements say a Physics undergrad is ok then it's ok, if you are unsure ask Imperial. If the course is something that interests you then do it.

Does it guarantee you a job? no.
What jobs can you get with an eee degree?
Small list of most possible jobs straight out of uni would be nice
is it true that an electrical and electronic engineer can't fix a(n)

electrical generator
tv
laptop
microwave
battery charger...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Metal zombie
I've applied for ELectronic engineering to Liverpool, Bath, York, Warwick and ucaln. Which would you say are the best? Just waiting for my college to send my ucas form. Got BBBB in maths, physics, biology, English AS and predicted AAA (dropped English). Originally wanted to do physics, but really couldn't see how to apply it in a job outside of research. Then I started to look at engineering. I got an A in the electricity section of physics AS. I realised this was the way to apply physics for me. Not sure if my personal statement is up to much as I didn't realise what I really wanted to do until recently. Hope I get offers!

I hold a MSEE [Electrical Engineering] from an accredited USA uni [George Washington, Uni, Wash D.C. My experience [since my BSEE in 1969], has been that Physics degrees are considerably less 'salable' than engineering ones. As you remarked, most of the openings are in research, they don't pay very well, and there are not very many of them. I would think that electrical engineering [of course i'm biased], or computer science would be a more rewarding career path. Elect Eng is heavily involved with programming anyway, because to attack a lot of the problems in [for example] satellite communications, you pretty much have to use a 'link budget' program to consider all the variables, and see what happens if you use [for example], a larger - higher gain antenna, or more transmit power. You CAN hand calculate these things, but it amounts to 8 to 10 pages (if you write fairly small), and it's easy to make an error. Errors tend to 'propagate' through, so if you make an error on the second page, you've got 8 or 9 pages to re-do. Using a link budget program is much easier. You can buy them, or write your own. I took the latter route - because i wanted some special features in mine. Also, it's cheaper & you get exactly what you want. Lots of my colleagues have done the same.

After i got my bachelors degree, i took an overseas assignment for almost 3 years [i was working for the US Government]. I did this, because i found my rather small salary was going out in expenses nearly as fast as it was coming in. After 3 yrs overseas, i had accumunlated enough to buy most of a house & cut my flat rental costs by about 4:1. In order to do this, you have to go to some place that is (seen by most job seekers) highly undesirable. Forget Paris, Rome, London, those sort of places. Everyone wants to go there. Think Beruit, Damascus, Ryad, Saudi Arabia - those sort of places. I don't know how single people these days can manage to buy a house - even on this side of the pond. On your side, it appears to be totally impossible. Unless your last name happens to be Spencer, DuPont, Kennedy, or such. Right now, an electrical engineer with a bachelors and 5 to 10 years experience, should be getting about $85,000 or more here. Add a masters, and another 10 years experience, and you should be over $125,000. Overseas service (depending upon your specific contract of service) should roughly double that, and may include meals and quarters [mine did]. Good luck!!
Who's applying for EEE 2018 entry?
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
If you're already experimenting with programming and circuits, you're probably ahead of most applicants. The majority of my fellow first years are good at Maths and Physics but have never really encountered practical electronics.

It depends what sort of areas you're interested in but I'd recommend getting an Arduino or something similar. It's a very affordable way of getting into programming and circuit design.

I concur. I'm a RF engineer - i do satellite communications [earth terminal design]. Even so, i'm teaching myself assembly programming. I have a little project i'm working on that requires some data manipulation, and that seems the only practical way to do it. Programming skills are becoming increasingly important, as time goes on. I had worked as a technician for several years, before starting an engineering degree, and i found that to be quite a help. I was used to 'breadboarding' test circuitry, and could read the resistor colour code, as well as most capacitor values. [Deciding which are the value digits, and which is the multiplier is not trivial on some capacitors]. Cheers.
Reply 537
To anyone who has gotten an offer from UCL, what are your predicted grades for A2? I would like to see if I stand a good or bad chance of getting an offer
Original post by 1Max1
To anyone who has gotten an offer from UCL, what are your predicted grades for A2? I would like to see if I stand a good or bad chance of getting an offer

Try this: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
Reply 539

It doesn't work for me for some reason

Quick Reply

Latest