Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If it was conclusively proved Jesus never existed would you still be a Christian? watch

ReputationRep:
    Micro debate yay!

You can still learn from his if he didn't exist right? But would you still be a Christian?

ReputationRep:
    The Bible isn't meant to be taken literally because if it was, we would still be stoning people to death in most civilised countries...

The Bible provides the foundations of a moral standing and, short of morals being subjected to being proven wrong, it wouldn't change most people I believe.

Though, I'm an atheist.
    Knowing if people took the Bible literally, I probably wouldn't be alive today given my sexual orientation. =P

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to be a Christian if Jesus turns out to not exist.

(Of course a conclusive proof is never going to be produced. We haven't conclusively proved the lack of Yeti. And in this case there is substantial evidence the other way.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    It's impossible to be a Christian if Jesus turns out to not exist.

(Of course a conclusive proof is never going to be produced. We haven't conclusively proved the lack of Yeti. And in this case there is substantial evidence the other way.)
    Could you not just follow the teaching of Jesus anyway? Does the fact he is the son of God make his teachings more correct in Christians eyes? I suppose it does to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Could you not just follow the teaching of Jesus anyway? Does the fact he is the son of God make his teachings more correct in Christians eyes? I suppose it does to them.
    From a Christian perspective then it is the fact he is the son of God that makes his teaching worth listening to - it is the truth he speaks.

ReputationRep:
    From a Christian perspective then it is the fact he is the son of God that makes his teaching worth listening to - it is the truth he speaks.
    I see. So what if Jesus was proved to be real but not the son of God. Would you still follow his teachings? Or just some of them?

This is all hypothetical of course I know you could never prove any of this.

ReputationRep:
    I see. So what if Jesus was proved to be real but not the son of God. Would you still follow his teachings? Or just some of them?

Jesus HAS been proven to have existed because there are writings of a man rambling on about being the son of "God" at around the time of Jesus and was infact named Jesus (then again, Jesus was a common name like today's Jack).

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't continue to place any value in them. (Although I'm sure as a society we'd keep following many of them, because our society has been influenced by Christianity.)

(Of course!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Jesus HAS been proven to have existed because there are writings of a man rambling on about being the son of "God" at around the time of Jesus and was infact named Jesus (then again, Jesus was a common name like today's Jack).
    This thread isn't to debate if he was real or not.

But still I'm sure the best evidence for Jesus's existence comes from Tacitus and that was 100 years after his lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Jesus HAS been proven to have existed
    Er, no; he hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't continue to place any value in them. (Although I'm sure as a society we'd keep following many of them, because our society has been influenced by Christianity.)

(Of course!)
    Even things like forgive one another and stories like the Good Samaritan? Is the only reason you listen to Jesus that he was the son of God? Not that some of his ideas were actually good?

ReputationRep:
    The clue is in the name - 'christ'-ian

I guess you could still be an alternative type of Jew, who still followed new testament teachings. It would depend on whether you thought those teachings came from prophets, or simply philosophers, but the writing itself is most definitely from that era.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    The clue is in the name - 'christ'-ian
    This. It'd go from being a deist religion to something more akin to Buddhism, imho :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it negate pretty much most or all of the New Testament? Christians would probably be forced to ignore it and only follow the teachings of the Old Testament which are rather...old school.

ReputationRep:
    Nope - I wouldn't be a Christian if there were no Christ. Take "Christ" out of "Christian" and all you're left with is "Ian". And Ian can't help you.

But seriously, I do believe in the historical Jesus. I don't think you can be a Christian if you don't believe in Christ as a real historical figure. I mean you can debate the meaning of the Bible till the cows come home - but if you don't follow the general gist of Christ's teaching and moreover never believe he even existed - can you really say "I'm a Christian" with conviction?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  atheistsForJesus.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  36.4 KB

Yes, that is Richard Dawkins.

Not that he is one, but there is actually such a thing as Christian atheism and also weirdly enough there are some Christian humanists who combine elements of the teachings.

If you remove the God element, Jesus' parables are still a good model for living life as is the sermon on the mount I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    A Christian is someone who follows Jesus' teachings because they are teachings of Jesus, not because of how good they are.

I don't happen to think that Jesus's teachings are good anyway, though that is another debate all together. :P

ReputationRep:
    I think this question is slightly flawed, no offense! I mean it makes people think that even if strong conclusive evidence was found against Jesus, that Christians would still stubbornly follow. Which is indirectly attacking religion. You would still get a vast majority of Christians believing, not solely because of the teachings of Jesus, but because of the influences Christianity- more so the belief- has had on their lives. Christianity since founded *truthful generalisation coming up* had completely changed society. From the religious events, to modern rules and laws. I'm pretty sure that if evidence came in opposition -which I strongly doubt- the good morals, rules and hope that Christianity brings will still remain one way or another. Going back to this question, I think it should have equally been sided with "if both evolution, the big bang and Jesus were scientifically proven not to have occurred and some other spontaneous phenomena existed, would people still believe" that way it's looking from both view points, not just a negative push on those believing in Jesus. Furthermore, it is addressing the most controversial topic out there... "Big bang and evolution THEORY". But let's leave that for another day
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Micro debate yay!

You can still learn from his if he didn't exist right? But would you still be a Christian?
    That is like proving 1+1 is not equal to 2, the whole of mathematics would collapse upon itself.

The whole of christianity would collapse upon itself, if that was proven.
    People may look for misinterpretations in the bible but the fact most of the new testament is heavily dependent on jesus, it wouldn't end well.

Impossible to prove though.

ReputationRep:
    If only that could be proven. If you'd continue to be Christian in the sense of believing in the bible being the word of god that would be simple ignorance. Morals in the bible are just simply human decency and kindness and I'd like to hope most people stick to them because they understand what's right and wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.