Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 10 thinking about my career choices. I want to study law at Cambridge university and at college I am thinking about studying:
    - English literature
    - Maths
    - German

And I am not sure about my fourth choice. Are these suitable or are there better courses for me to take to study law at Cambridge university? If it is relevant I want to be a barrister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meganedwards)
    I am currently in year 10 thinking about my career choices. I want to study law at Cambridge university and at college I am thinking about studying:
    - English literature
    - Maths
    - German

And I am not sure about my fourth choice. Are these suitable or are there better courses for me to take to study law at Cambridge university? If it is relevant I want to be a barrister.
    Sounds like a good set, have you thought about a 4th AS though. In addition do you know what having a job as a barrister involves?

ReputationRep:
    - English literature
    - Maths
    - German

Good set... History would probably be good strong academic, essay-based subject

ReputationRep:
    I agree, history is generally a very strong choice for law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jheywood)
    Sounds like a good set, have you thought about a 4th AS though. In addition do you know what having a job as a barrister involves?

Yes thank you for your advice and I have an idea. Also I'm a confident person and would be dedicated to the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyHaha)
    Good set... History would probably be good strong academic, essay-based subject
    Thanks for your suggestion. Would it matter that I haven't taken history as an option. Would this put me at a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    - English literature
    - Maths
    - German

I'd think english history and possibly law (if your place offers them) but that aint neccesary. German could be good as it will enable yoi to.go into international law more and eu law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My friend got into Oxford for Law with Maths, Chemistry and History (plus English Lit at AS) so your set sounds fine.
    Most unis (including Oxbridge) have no real A Level preference for Law as long as they are three "traditional" and "academic" subjects.
    Eg Media Studies, Business Studies, and a few others are considered "soft" and so are not highly regarded by top universities.

I know quite a few unis (including Trinity College at Oxford i think) have a public list of what they consider to be soft A-Levels but the general consensus is that strong A Levels are
    Languages
    Maths
    Sciences
    History, Economics, and a few others.

Google it to find the actual lists because I'm going off memory here, but your set looks great and as long as you're on course for A*/A grades you've got a chance at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your suggestion. Would it matter that I haven't taken history as an option. Would this put me at a disadvantage?
    you mean you haven't taken history as an option for gcse?
    i personally think it won't put you at a very large disadvantage although it may also depend on your sixth form, as some do require you to have done the subject at gcse. I think skills learnt at gcse history are easily transferable to a level history, you should be able to pick them up really quickly though with a little bit of extra work here and there

ReputationRep:
    - English literature
    - Maths
    - German

I think that you should drop maths and take history and economics as your 4th choice.

ReputationRep:
    Not having History wouldn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage, but lack of an AS level might. Even if you choose it and haven't studies it before then you technically don't need to have studied History before because you don't have to build on knowledge that you've supposedly already have - unless your college chooses Nazis! You get taught, or should get taught, the skills you need at A level, because they are a bit different. Just make sure you actually read around the subject!

ReputationRep:
    whatever you do DONT pick Law A-Level, it isnt traditional like history or english or maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibra456)
    whatever you do DONT pick Law A-Level, it isnt traditional like history or maths
    It doesnt put you at a disadvantage, as long as you have traditional subjects as well. It would perhaps give you a knowledge and insight into the subject you want to study.
    My friend got into Cambridge last year with Law, English combined and History with Drama as an AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any academic subject is good for law at university (I did maths, chemistry, biology, history for example). To get into Cambridge you need absolute top results, so pick a 4th subject that you enjoy and which you know you can excel in. Subject choice matters less than whether you have the ability to achieve an A or A*.

ReputationRep:
    I took Geography at GCSE. Could I choose this course at a level or is it not traditional? I excel more in geography than history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightStrider)
    I think that you should drop maths and take history and economics as your 4th choice.
    Maths never weakens an application. I think History would be a good choice but am much less sure as to why Economics should be any better than anything else.

English, History, Maths, and German is about as strong a set as can be imagined.

ReputationRep:
    I took Geography at GCSE. Could I choose this course at a level or is it not traditional? I excel more in geography than history.
    In that case, choose Geography - traditional, academic and has essay/numeracy skills associated with it. What matters more is that somehow you get A*AA (and an A at AS) probably, and if you're more likely to get that A at AS with Geography, then go for it! Also, have you got any relevant work experience - that may also help

ReputationRep:
    What Lady Haha said. Do English, Maths, German and Geography if those are your best subjects. I know several lawyers with maths A'level (including me) - and as lawyers often haven't done maths, we tend to be quite popular around the office as we're not phased about the occasional mathematical calculation. I pick up my calculator ten times a day ... one does much more maths in the law than you'd expect.

There are a not inconsiderable number of lawyers who when they started their A'levels at age 16 thought they would go into one of the more scientific vocations - vet science, medicine, pharmacy etc - so they picked scientific A'levels to suit. So long as you can also read and write to a high level it really doesn't matter ifyou change your mind and do law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Maths never weakens an application. I think History would be a good choice but am much less sure as to why Economics should be any better than anything else.

English, History, Maths, and German is about as strong a set as can be imagined.
    It strengthens that style of thinking - about being critical and justifying you arguments etc. while Maths is more suited to problem solving.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is always a strong subject to have.
    English and German are also very strong.
    If you're good at Geography + you like it, definitely take that as well.
    Those 4 subjects are an extremely strong set, and with good marks, you're a definite candidate.

What matters in Law is not that your subjects be all essay based etc (plenty of people get into Law at Oxbridge with sciences) it is that you can get A*/A in all your subjects.
    And then you have to perform well at the interview. (but that isn't important now haha)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.