Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to start a blog, and I've been thinking about it for a really long time now.

I was wondering, for those of you who have a blog, what are your tips for starters?

Also, would you recommend Wordpress or Blogspot as a platform for the blog?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Wordpress for sure, much more power and in my opinion nicer to use.

What sorts of blogging tips would you like? From what angle? I.e. how to get traffic, how to keep your audience engaged, how to make money from it?

ReputationRep:
    best tip i ever i got is always make sure you have the mobile version installed on your smart phone it saves a lot of time and you can blog on the move. Perfect for train journeys

ReputationRep:
    In terms of writing - write every day to ensure you gain a consistent style and that your quality improves.

In terms of platform - I personally prefer Blogger over WordPress, but I can the appeal of the latter.

In terms of traffic - Try to get your head around SEO for your titles and tags.

ReputationRep:
    Wordpress any day and everyday

My only tip would be - make sure you be consistent, with your posting style and consistency. Always have a schedule to abide by. Sooner you'll have a long archive of posts and naturally - a fair amount of SEO traffic. Install yoast's SEO word press plugin - works wonders.

Engage with other bloggers in your niche - form relationships and try to do a few guest posts on other websites/blogs with audiences smaller or larger than your own.

Build a list! : I.e an optin form on your sidebar or below your posts to allow people to subscribe to your blog for updates and/or a newsletter that you may wish to create.

Have an RSS feed: so people can subscribe to get updates everytime you make a post..

if you have any questions reply to me here or PM me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.