Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Indian students applying for Med in the UK? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, all.
    I just finished my grade 12 exam a few weeks back (it's the biggest exam in our schooling). The results won't be out before late May/early June. I had English, Math, Biology, Chemistry and Physics in grades 11 & 12 - this is considered the heaviest course load.
    My school is under the CBSE board (Central Board of Secondary Education) which is the main board of education in India.
    I am hoping to apply for Med in the UK this year after taking, what would effectively be, a gap year (This was done mainly because my father refused to fund me unless I devoted myself completely to the grade 12 exams over the last 2 years).
    After a lot of searching, I have found one senior of our school who had been called back for interviews to KCL & UCL for Medicine. He couldn't go for the interviews due to personal reasons.

So I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's in the same situation? I spoke to some Admissions Reps from UK unis & they all said that my biggest handicap was the fact that I graduated under CBSE. Does anyone know how I can mitigate this is issue?
    I am also giving 4 APs in May - Bio, Chem, Art History & Psycho.

Thanks for reading this!

ReputationRep:

​What is 4 APs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyberboy)

​What is 4 APs?
    Advancement Placements. That's more for the US than the UK really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlaskaYoung)
    Hello, all.
    I just finished my grade 12 exam a few weeks back (it's the biggest exam in our schooling). The results won't be out before late May/early June. I had English, Math, Biology, Chemistry and Physics in grades 11 & 12 - this is considered the heaviest course load.
    My school is under the CBSE board (Central Board of Secondary Education) which is the main board of education in India.
    I am hoping to apply for Med in the UK this year after taking, what would effectively be, a gap year (This was done mainly because my father refused to fund me unless I devoted myself completely to the grade 12 exams over the last 2 years).
    After a lot of searching, I have found one senior of our school who had been called back for interviews to KCL & UCL for Medicine. He couldn't go for the interviews due to personal reasons.

So I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's in the same situation? I spoke to some Admissions Reps from UK unis & they all said that my biggest handicap was the fact that I graduated under CBSE. Does anyone know how I can mitigate this is issue?

Thanks for reading this!

From my limited knowledge I would say, once you have your results you will need to go to NAIRC - http://www.ecctis.co.uk/ to get your qualifications validadted for the UK system.

Have you sat IELTS yet?

Be prepared to travel to interview - some unis do have representatives who come to Delhi or Mumbai, but sometimes you might have to fly to the UK.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.