Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21875816

The parents of six children who died after a house fire in Derby have been convicted of their manslaughter, along with their friend.

Mick Philpott and Paul Mosley were found guilty by unanimous verdicts, while Mairead Philpott was convicted by a majority, at Nottingham Crown Court.

They were found guilty after less than eight hours of deliberation.

Derbyshire Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said it had been the most tragic case he had ever worked on.
    Sentencing later

He said: "There are six little kids there that have not got the chance to grow up."

Five of the children died on the morning of the fire in Victory Road, and the sixth died three days later.

Jade Philpott, 10, John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six, and Jayden, five, died on the morning of the fire on 11 May 2012.

Mrs Philpott's son from a previous relationship, 13-year-old Duwayne, died later in hospital.

The judge, Mrs Justice Thirlwall, said the defendants would be sentenced on Wednesday.

As the court heard the guilty verdicts Mairead Philpott looked down at the floor and appeared upset while holding a tissue in her hands.

Before leaving the dock, Mick Philpott was heard to say: "It's not over yet."

ReputationRep:
    Poor children Hope he rots in jail, scum.

ReputationRep:
    Poor kids . Apparently the parents did nothing to try and rescue their own kids.According to one of the guys that did try to save the kids, the dad was over the road at a neighbours house.What kind of parent doesnt at least try to save their kids?.I would risk life and limb to save my kids if they were trapped in a house fire.

http://news.sky.com/story/1072984/de...-save-children

Rotten scum the 3 of them.

ReputationRep:
    He was on Jeremy Kyle for grooming young girls or something? How was he even allowed around children I'll never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Poor kids . Apparently the parents did nothing to try and rescue their own kids.According to one of the guys that did try to save the kids, the dad was over the road at a neighbours house.What kind of parent doesnt at least try to save their kids?.I would risk life and limb to save my kids if they were trapped in a house fire.

http://news.sky.com/story/1072984/de...-save-children

Rotten scum the 3 of them.
    There have been more revelations about him http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...irlfriend.html

(Original post by Martyn*)
    He was on Jeremy Kyle for grooming young girls or something? How was he even allowed around children I'll never know.
    He was on Kyle because of his lifestyle (sleeping with two women).

ReputationRep:
    Who's watching the programmes about it?

ReputationRep:
    Feel sorry for the poor kids. He sounded like a vile man who took advantage and manipulated the people and system.

ReputationRep:
    He seems a nasty piece of work, it's sad that the children had to suffer though. The bit about the whole story that upset me was when he saw the kids in the morgue, he called them "little ****s". Just seems so cruel given it was his fault they died and not a nice or loving term you would use for your children.

I feel for his wife, although she's also guilty of manslaughter I think he had a lot of control over her, he seems to have made many people's lives a misery. Hope he rots in prison.

ReputationRep:
    Wow what a scumbag. Makes you wonder how many "Micks" are still out there ruining lives.

Those women are pretty stupid too for getting involved with him.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely disgraceful. Almost scares me how messed up people can be.

ReputationRep:
    ...and the nights following the fire, they had a threesome! Sick! They didnt feel any remorse/ loss of their kids. All they wanted to do is get banged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelyAndEmpty)
    Who's watching the programmes about it?
    I was just watching some of the one on Channel 5.

I think the guy is probably mentally deranged.

ReputationRep:
    Philpott spent 7 years in jail for attempted murder (stabbed an ex 13 times while she slept), and he propositioned a policewoman days after the fire. No wonder the police thought he did it.

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow's Mail front cover: oh my. Pretty much insulting the whole population.

Ain't going to post it here but search it on Twitter, it's horrific.

ReputationRep:
    The front page of tomorrow's Daily Mail is disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

Derby needs some good news soon, surely?

ReputationRep:

Stay classy DM, stay classy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)

Stay classy DM, stay classy.
    They should probably change the picture to one of just him. Looks like they're having a go at the kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selnec)
    The front page of tomorrow's Daily Mail is disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

Derby needs some good news soon, surely?
    I forgot the last time Derby got good news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    I was just watching some of the one on Channel 5.

I think the guy is probably mentally deranged.
    I watched both the Channel 5 and ITV1. Me and my mother were so stunned by how heartless he is.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, I swear there's never anything good about Derbyshire on TV :')

Anyway, he's scum. I despair that people like that actually exist in the human race.

The poor children

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.