Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you do with your dog on holiday? Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you do with your dog when you go on holiday?
    Take them with us
    35.71%
    Put them in a kennel
    28.57%
    Get a dog-sitter
    14.29%
    Don't have a dog
    21.43%

ReputationRep:
    My Dad is currently dog-sitting for some friends of ours while they are on holiday. They've gone to Cornwall for a week. We have a dog and my mum and I both agreed it wouldn't be a holiday if we didn't take her with us. We haven't been on holiday for a while now, can't afford it but when we did we always found a holiday cottage that would accept dogs, it wasn't difficult. One of our holidays was to Cornwall, pretty much all there is to do is go for long walks in the countryside, surely the perfect place to take a dog on holiday!

Just wondering what the general opinion was, do you take your dog with you, leave them in a kennel or get a dog-sitter? Obviously this is for family holidays not mates holidays.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    We used to have a dog. My parents pretty much stopped taking holidays at all. The dog got car sick - not pleasant. Also he would run away if he wasn't sure of his surroundings - because they did not want to kennel him, because of something called "kennel cough" they stayed at home. When the dog died, they had forgotton about holidays so never really went away again at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRIKEY12)
    We used to have a dog. My parents pretty much stopped taking holidays at all. The dog got car sick - not pleasant. Also he would run away if he wasn't sure of his surroundings - because they did not want to kennel him, because of something called "kennel cough" they stayed at home. When the dog died, they had forgotton about holidays so never really went away again at all.
    That's a shame. Our dog hates the car but we don't feed her in the morning when we're going away so she's not sick. We would not put her through it at all but we have to a few times a year to visit the rest of our family who live 2 and a half hours away
    Obviously I don't know how long ago you had the dog but mine's vaccinated against kennel cough.

ReputationRep:
    This!

It's great – they get to go to a home (that often has kids) that wants to look after a dog for a short time; there's a door-to-door service so you hardly have to do anything; they take almost any dog; and you can stay in contact with the people who take them in to find out how they've got on. The families are always more interested in the dogs than your regular dog sitters, the conditions are obviously better than at kennels, and my dogs always come back having had a great time.

ReputationRep:
    I no longer go on holiday with my parents, so when they and my siblings go abroad I stay at home and look after the house / dog.
    The last time I did go with them, my grandparents came over to house-sit for us and looked after the dog at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    I leave the dog with someone or get someone to dog sit, or take the dog, depending on what type of holiday it is.
    To be honest, half of the joy of a holiday for me is not having the responsibility of all the pets for a few days.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what type of holiday.
    If we're going somewhere that requires travel by aeroplane, we get a dogsitter.
    However, if we're travelling by car to somewhere that's not too far away (In the UK/France) and have dog-friendly accomodation, he'll come with his. He's pretty good in the car and enjoys a nice holiday, it means extra walks and sometimes visits to the beach! :awesome:

I went to this dog friendly town in Wales. There were dogs EVERYWHERE, it was absolutely mental. The dog loved it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.