The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by GracieIsCrazy
Same here! It's not that drinking is a huge issue in life, but I kinda enjoy actually remembering my evenings :P

Yes, exactly! I also enjoy having the money to spend on other things :P
I had no idea there was a thread like this....glad i found it haha
Reply 442
Where all you Oxford students at?! (Or ones with an offer there)

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I may play devil's advocate in this thread...

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't a heavy drinker in fresher's either (2008). And I saved money for it (eating more frugally came into it too). But even though university carries a reputation for excess, many people go through uni and come out of the other end with a fairly good grasp of responsible consumption. I like drinking beer, and lots of it. I don't, however, see it as anything else than another interest, such as football, fashion or computers. I don't need beer to be happy, as I have many other interests, but it does make me happier, and yes, I do remember most evenings when I have a drink. I would also contest the notion that 'saving money' is an inherent virtue of teetotalism any more than not being interested in cars makes you any less inclined to have driving lessons. I've saved money on a phone contract because I don't have an expensive phone. I've saved money on champagne from not being a champagne connoisseur. Etc.

The thing is really you don't have to justify yourself when you don't drink. 'I just don't really like it' suffices to all reasonable ears. You may not like the taste, you may have had a bad experience, whatever. I didn't like the taste at 18 and I do now. It's much better to have your own reasons for not drinking than find pseudo-justifications that are really no more valid than saying 'I don't like it'.
Original post by rockrunride
If I may play devil's advocate in this thread...

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't a heavy drinker in fresher's either (2008). And I saved money for it (eating more frugally came into it too). But even though university carries a reputation for excess, many people go through uni and come out of the other end with a fairly good grasp of responsible consumption. I like drinking beer, and lots of it. I don't, however, see it as anything else than another interest, such as football, fashion or computers. I don't need beer to be happy, as I have many other interests, but it does make me happier, and yes, I do remember most evenings when I have a drink. I would also contest the notion that 'saving money' is an inherent virtue of teetotalism any more than not being interested in cars makes you any less inclined to have driving lessons. I've saved money on a phone contract because I don't have an expensive phone. I've saved money on champagne from not being a champagne connoisseur. Etc.

The thing is really you don't have to justify yourself when you don't drink. 'I just don't really like it' suffices to all reasonable ears. You may not like the taste, you may have had a bad experience, whatever. I didn't like the taste at 18 and I do now. It's much better to have your own reasons for not drinking than find pseudo-justifications that are really no more valid than saying 'I don't like it'.

Well said.

There's nothing wrong with someone not wanting to drink at uni.

:yy:
Hello! Here's another teetotaller to join you, glad to see I'm not the only one here. :biggrin:

During the first 19 years of my life I didn't want to touch alcohol at all, mostly for health related reasons (empty calories, liver damage, brain cells, etc), and some bad experiences around drunk people. I have however tasted alcohol three times now (twice cider and once wine), but I absolutely hated it every time, so that is currently the biggest reason for not drinking at all, not even moderately.

I've got nothing against people who drink however (although I do find 'absolutely smashed' people quite annoying sometimes), so I don't really see this becoming a problem when I go to uni this September. I just hope people won't think less of me because of it! Don't know yet if I'll come to like the taste of alcohol later in my life, but I do not see it happening any time soon.

edit// Oh, and I'm from Finland, going to study in QMU in Edinburgh.

From what I've heard, I think Finnish drinking culture is pretty similar to the British. There are people who drink a little, and then there are people who get really drunk every time they come in contact with alcohol, and something from between.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 446
Original post by lilGem
Another UEA person :woo:
Make that 3!! I'm going to UEA in september to do Modern Languages! Nice to meet you!! :ciao:
Reply 447
Original post by LozzEM
Make that 3!! I'm going to UEA in september to do Modern Languages! Nice to meet you!! :ciao:

Nice to meet you too!

I have a friend who will be a third year medic when we start, a friend who will be doing nursing+ environmental science and someone else on my course :biggrin:

Nice to meet you too, you're welcome to add me on fb if you want :h:
Reply 448
Original post by lilGem
Nice to meet you too!

I have a friend who will be a third year medic when we start, a friend who will be doing nursing+ environmental science and someone else on my course :biggrin:

Nice to meet you too, you're welcome to add me on fb if you want :h:

Looks like you're the girl to know :wink: That would be awesome! How do I find you ? :bigsmile:
Reply 449
Original post by LozzEM
Looks like you're the girl to know :wink: That would be awesome! How do I find you ? :bigsmile:

haha well :tongue:

I'll PM you a link to my profile unless you're on the fresher pages? :smile:
Reply 450
Original post by lilGem
haha well :tongue:

I'll PM you a link to my profile unless you're on the fresher pages? :smile:

I am on a few of them :smile:
Reply 451
Original post by LozzEM
I am on a few of them :smile:

yay! I've only found one other person on my course out of all the pages :lol:
Original post by laraali1
Anyone at KCL?

Hopefilly I'll be at KCL this September :biggrin:
I'm due to start uni next September studying French and Music and this is already an issue that is worrying me. I already fall out of social circles because of my teetotalism and I would quite like some friends at uni so I'm glad I found this thread.

I don't drink because, if I'm honest, I'm yet to find a drink that I like the taste of. But aside from that I have never had the influence of alcohol from my mum who drinks now and then and in small proportions, she never gets drunk. However the main reason for me is that my father drank a lot when I was younger and I hated the change I would see in him after a few cans of beer. It scares me what alcohol can do to people. So I steer clear.

I look forward to hearing how you all get on at freshers without drinking. As I mentioned I'm already panicking about this as I have a friend going to uni this year who has spent her life since exams getting drunk in "preparation". I really don't want to end up like that!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 454
Original post by itsjustsophie
I'm due to start uni next September studying French and Music and this is already an issue that is worrying me. I already fall out of social circles because of my teetotalism and I would quite like some friends at uni so I'm glad I found this thread.

I don't drink because, if I'm honest, I'm yet to find a drink that I like the taste of. But aside from that I have never had the influence of alcohol from my mum who drinks now and then and in small proportions, she never gets drunk. However the main reason for me is that my father drank a lot when I was younger and I hated the change I would see in him after a few cans of beer. It scares me what alcohol can do to people. So I steer clear.

I look forward to hearing how you all get on at freshers without drinking. As I mentioned I'm already panicking about this as I have a friend going to uni this year who has spent her life since exams getting drunk in "preparation". I really don't want to end up like that!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is pretty similar to what I'm feeling! :colondollar:
Reply 455
Original post by Sannn
Any Bristol firmers here? c:

Hey, I am firming bristol and doing economics this year. you?
Reply 456
Original post by Yue0928
Hey, I am firming bristol and doing economics this year. you?

Made Bristol my firm for experimental psychology - can't wait to get there
Reply 457
Original post by Sannn
Made Bristol my firm for experimental psychology - can't wait to get there

yea, but really..I am tired of choosing accom. I was thinking of Goldney, n then I started to worry about the self-catered thing. sad sad :frown: What about you? which one are you applying for if you dont mind my asking?:wink:
Reply 458
Is not being a drinker of alcohol or fizzy drinks too specific?

Haven't had a fizzy drink at all for nearly 2 years, out of choice and for health.

I drink about 4 litres of water a day. Varies on heat, exercise, etc.
Reply 459
Original post by Yue0928
yea, but really..I am tired of choosing accom. I was thinking of Goldney, n then I started to worry about the self-catered thing. sad sad :frown: What about you? which one are you applying for if you dont mind my asking?:wink:

yeah Goldney is quite popular from what I've heard. I dunno specifically about where to apply - somewhere in SB for sure, either Churchill or Durdham I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending