Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study psychology next year but, apart from psychology, all my A Levels are humanity subjects. I have already taken my AS levels and am currently in year 13, hoping to take a gap year and reapply.
    Majority of universities state that although having a maths / science is highly advantageous, it's not essential. But would I be at a disadvantage? I also got a B in maths at GCSE, will that hinder my application?
    I am aiming to apply to universities such as UCL.
    Thanks for all help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take my Biology AS-level to A-level and still got five offers; you do not need a science A-level unless the course specifies it as a requirement, your humanities subjects should be fine providing you get the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    I didn't take my Biology AS-level to A-level and still got five offers; you do not need a science A-level unless the course specifies it as a requirement, your humanities subjects should be fine providing you get the grades.
    Ah that's a relief, thank you
    If you don't mind me asking, which universities did you apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not a problem at all. I take Psychology, History and English Lit at A2, took Philosophy and Ethics at AS.
    Have 5 offers - Royal Holloway, Nottingham, Birmingham, Warwick and Bristol

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of people who did not do maths/science subjects and are doing psychology. Maths only really helps if you do a statistics module and physics/chemistry aren't that helpful for psychology!

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who took 3 humanities (including psychology) and got offers from Cambridge and Bath. Your maths GCSE might hinder you, but only for really competitive courses - normally they don't actually require anything above a B. Really don't worry about it - at the start of the university course there will be modules on statistics and the biological components required that are explored in A level maths and biology so that no one really has a massive advantage.

ReputationRep:
    A girl I know from school and sixth form studied psychology at A Level. She I think she got a good grade in it and she's studying Psychology as a degree. She's in her second year now. She didn't study sciences and maths at A Level.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Only science I did was psychology and I also got a B in GCSE maths. Offers from both Durham & UCL for psychology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.