Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been looking for a suitable car to replace our Disco V8 ES to use as a daily. Winter is over now (yeah, took long enough eh!) so I don't see the point of holding onto the 4x4 for much longer.

Went all the way to south wales to pick this up - 400 mile round trip which went smoothly....

The car is a '76 Triumph 2500S. The S was the top spec version of the 2000 range. Previously the flagship model was the 2500PI but the fuel injection system proved to be a little bit tempermental which was costing Triumph sales. The PI system originally made it's debut on the TR6 which itself was a facelift of the short lived TR5 - the first ever production car to recieve fuel injection all be it mechanical rather than the electronic systems we all know and "love" today...

This particular car was basically ordered with ALL the options. The only avaliable options were a laminated windscreen and an automatic gearbox. Everything else which was optional on the lower trim cars came as standard on the S model.

Engine is a 2.5 litre Triumph straight six breathing through a pair of SU carbs. Gearbox is a Borg warner 35 and this went in just about everything that was built in that era from jags to rovers to volvo's etc...

Suspension is independant all round so, whilst it's only got about 100bhp it drives a lot like a modern car so you are able to carry higher speeds through the corners. I saw off a lexus roadster on our local B road today so it can't be that bad. In the context of the day this was a bit of a speed machine - it's a bit like buying an M3 today I suppose. The Triumph 2000 and Rover p6 range were light years ahead of the competition and really these cars are the DNA of what we would consider modern sports saloons.

Unusually for a Triumph 2000 it's not totally rotten - normally they've gone through a couple of sets of front wings by now, but you can still see the factory spot welds in the engine bay which is nice. I suppose only having 89k on the clock is the likely reason it's survived so well.

Colour is Pimento red with a black vinyl top which is quite rare. They tend to be white, brown or old fart blue! Some kind person has also fitted a towbar so I'll be able to pull my trailer tent with it which is nice. Just need to find a new sports car to replace our MGB V8 now. I think it's a toss up between a BMW Z4M or a Triumph TR6 - not quite sure which we'll go for yet?

Anyway... enough drivel from me: a few piccies...

ReputationRep:
    I used to drive a Triumph 2000.... a terrific car in its day and yes, it's handling was pretty damn good... with a few caveats!

Despite having a tad less than 100hp it was just a bit too easy to get the back end hanging out on a wet road. Also, the brakes were pretty good but it was easy to get them to fade.

And the fuel consumption.... I'd average about 26mpg

Ah, I miss that car...

ReputationRep:
    Asides from that nice car OP, always nice to see a classic in good condition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01Chris02)
    Both of you need to calm down and seriously consider the implications of what you post before you actually post it.

Asides from that nice car OP, always nice to see a classic in good condition!
    I think JC needs to keep a blacklist of people he won't help when their car stops working.

ReputationRep:
    Nice looking car JC. Seems to be in tidy condition.

I'd say go for the BMW, don't you have enough old English cars already and fancy a change?

ReputationRep:
    Z4M even though the interior is shockingly bad as well as the ride - the engine is bloody gorgeous. And I think it looks a bit understated. You must get it in that interlagos blue - preferably with CSL alloys.

Anyway your new motor. Not for me. It threatens my eyesight, but it appears to be in good nick. I can't believe you say that it corners as well as a modern Lexus Roadster; really?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    Z4M even though the interior is shockingly bad as well as the ride - the engine is bloody gorgeous. And I think it looks a bit understated. You must get it in that interlagos blue - preferably with CSL alloys.

Anyway your new motor. Not for me. It threatens my eyesight, but it appears to be in good nick. I can't believe you say that it corners as well as a modern Lexus Roadster; really?!
    Bright isn't it? Triumph call it "Pimento" - Nic and I refer to it as "yob red".

I think you and I have very different ideas about what is and what isn't good in a car. I thought the two Z4M's I've driven had a FANTASTIC ride. Really communicative and I love the fact if you put your foot hard down whilst driving in a perfectly straight line the arse end steps out dramatically. It's an animal. It drives like much older car. Probably why I like it so much - you either concentrate and drive it properly or it'll go wrong and you'll hurt yourself. I approve of that alot in a car.
    I disagree with you completely with the interior comment too. I find them a genuinely nice place to be. I particularly like the satnav that rises out of the dash. Interlagos blue... yeah... afraid I hate that too. "doom blue" as they call it in the trade. The first choice would be red or grey but with only 900 RHD examples in the world you don't really get to pick the colour of a seccond hand car anyway - it's pot luck.

With regard to the lexus a) the other driver probably didn't know the road and b) I was "trying"... and by that I mean "Balls out".
    Without a doubt he had the quicker car. But like I always say, it's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

ReputationRep:
    Very nice good choice and looks to be in great condition, has it got much history with it?. I've always loved those I think the MK2 looks so much better than the MK1. Must be one of the last ones on a R plate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Very nice good choice and looks to be in great condition, has it got much history with it?. I've always loved those I think the MK2 looks so much better than the MK1. Must be one of the last ones on a R plate?
    Yes, it's certainly a late one. They only made them for about another 9 months after this one rolled off the line.
    The very last Triumph 2000 made is a 2500S Estate and that lives at Gaydon heritage motor museum registered on a V plate!

ReputationRep:
    Lovely car you have there! Don't see too many of these about nowadays.

And a Z4M? Do it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.