Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I regularly make full backups of all my data, onto external hard drives. These are stored in my house. I'm considering whether I should store these in another location, however.

Does anyone on here backup their data and store the backups in another physical location? I'm not talking about online backups, but actually backing up onto storage media, and then transporting the media to another location.

Has anyone ever suffered a theft or disaster that has caused loss of both the live and backup copy of their data?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewFolder)
    I regularly make full backups of all my data, onto external hard drives. These are stored in my house. I'm considering whether I should store these in another location, however.

Does anyone on here backup their data and store the backups in another physical location? I'm not talking about online backups, but actually backing up onto storage media, and then transporting the media to another location.

Has anyone ever suffered a theft or disaster that has caused loss of both the live and backup copy of their data?
    Unless you are a business that really requires off-site storage, I don't see a point. To protect against theft you can just hide you external drives somewhere in the house, for accidents like your house burning down, is the chance of that happening vs. the effort of off-site storage worth it? I have RAID1 setup for a hardware failure and just back up important stuff to the cloud. Everything else is re obtainable to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a business, so no but that being said I can understand why people would if they had a lot of important data.

I would store my uni dissertation off site multiple times - once on my PC, once on an external HDD plus a copy on Google Drive and Dropbox. You never know.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of documents I make aren't really that important so I don't bother backing them up. Sometimes I might keep multiple versions of the same file in the same place in case I accidentally do something stupid like delete lots of text and click save. For my university final year project, I backed it up by emailing it from my gmail account to my university account - so it's sitting in two separate mailboxes. Where I've worked in IT in a bank, they certainly back things up offsite, and do more than that as well.

I think when deciding what sort of backing up to do, it's a case of weighing up the implications of losing data against the cost and effort required of doing backups.

To answer your other question, someone I know once accidentally deleted a lot of important data from a company database, whilst the backups were currently on a ship being transported somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I keep backups of all important files and documents i need on external hard drives and on my PC hard drive. External hard drives are usually in the house.

I have 50GB dropbox storage which i got with my HTC One X last year so i've backed up really really important files to the cloud as well.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I do but not really deliberately. I jut have a crap old computer that isn't good for much so I back things up onto it. That is in my bedroom at home and I live elsewhere. I put important things on external harddrives too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't do off site backups in the sense you're asking about as I've generally decided it's too much hassle - I don't want to be swapping drives over and taking them elsewhere all the time!

However all my VPS's get backed up onto my local server (so that's effectively an off site backup for them). I also store most of the things I'm currently working on using dropbox (giving an off site - cloud based copy) and other stuff is backed up into the cloud using crashplan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.