Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have 6 months left until I start university, I'm on a gap year.

What type of experience would be most useful in terms of making my CV stand out for IB?

My ideas:

-Work experience (although it can't really be in an Ibank)
    -Learn a foreign language abroad, get a qualification in it.
    -Volunteering work

1. How helpful would/ could these opportunities be?

2. Any other suggestions?

3. Could you recommend any particular language/ work exp./ volunteering?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone shed some light on this?

ReputationRep:
    Learn a language abroad and get a qualification in 6 months?? Good luck with that.

Volunteering seems the most realistic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could do TEFL where you teach English abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Build a rocket space ship, fly to mars, learn martian, come back, stick on CV, go to Uni, walk with pride... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Learn a language abroad and get a qualification in 6 months?? Good luck with that.

Volunteering seems the most realistic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in a similar position to OP. But I used to have near fluency in a language- do you think getting qualifications in it would help with my CV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlatan?)
    I'm in a similar position to OP. But I used to have near fluency in a language- do you think getting qualifications in it would help with my CV?
    Depends if it is your native language or not. E.g. If you are native Chinese and have a qualification to prove your proficiency in Chinese, I would not be all that impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Depends if it is your native language or not. E.g. If you are native Chinese and have a qualification to prove your proficiency in Chinese, I would not be all that impressed.
    I'm British, but lived in France for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlatan?)
    I'm British, but lived in France for a while.
    Possibly, but I don't think it would be necessary to do a qualification. Stating that you are fluent in French/lived in France should be enough, so long as you can back it up should they decide to test you on it during the interview process.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously - just get really good at Excel, Macabacus.com is good although understand what the following functions are and how to use them first:

• H/Vlookup
    • Index / Match
    • Indirect
    • Named Ranges
    • Dynamic Named Ranges (using offset & count)
    • Offset
    • Count, Counta, Countif
    • Sumif(s)
    • Rank
    • Listing the top X number of entries using a combination of Rank and Vlookup / Index Match. Ensure that you don't miss any indentical values by adding something like (+Row(A1)*0.000001)
    • Array formulas to do exactly the same thing as above but neater (clients don't get this though which is why you should know the slower method)
    • Conditional formatting with formulae as triggers, doing the same again but referencing another cell with a formula
    • Left & Right functions
    • Len
    • Proper
    • Find
    • Ctrl+Arrow keys
    • Ctrl+Pg up / down between sheets
    • Alt E S down down enter - paste as values. Transpose is also useful sometimes
    • The Idea of having inputs in blue and colour coding of other types of cells
    • Being able to make something look good in a short period of time
    • Understanding you can just hide gridlines without filling the whole sheet's background
    • Alt H AC and other basic formatting functions without a mouse
    • Substitute
    • Instead of merging cells right clicking, Format Cells > Alignment > Fill Across Horizontally to negate the need of merged cells
    • Ctrl + Space to select
    • Shift + Space to select
    • Inserting columns and rows with Ctrl + +
    • Hyperlink function - Formula not the right click version, means you can dynamically change it
    • Basic chart things, formatting series, referencing dynamic ranges and simple stuff like adding a Title and altering axes
    • Understanding how important F4 is
    • Understanding how useless F1 is
    • How to copy formulae to other cells without it altering the cells references (F4 can do this although sometimes it's necessary to Find and replace all = with an obscure symbol, copy all the formulae about and then replace the symbol with an equals sign
    • Basic recording of macros, don't waste your time with this though, there'll always be someone better than you at macros who can do something in 3 minutes, also mucks up when using on other computers regularly
    • Locking cells
    • Setting print layouts
    • Grouping columns and rows instead of hiding them
    • Adding comments so you remember what you were thinking when you wrote that 5 line formula at 4am
    • Data validation
    • Text to columns

The second people know you're good at Excel means it's in their interest to be your friend.

Also Pivot Tables - although these are flawed in so many ways it's good to get an output from static data.
    And custom formatting to either hide numbers you don't want printed or to add words before and after numbers without preventing excel to understand it's a number.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.