Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing German, French, Hindi and Sanskrit for GCSE and Spanish as an Asset Language. Is having these many languages useful for university level?

PS: I have a knack at Languages and I LOVE them:')

ReputationRep:
    didn't know they did sanskrit gcse anyway, the more languages you know the better it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samyak!)
    I'm doing German, French, Hindi and Sanskrit for GCSE and Spanish as an Asset Language. Is having these many languages useful for university level?

PS: I have a knack at Languages and I LOVE them:')
    If you pick a few of these at A-level that could work. I've heard universities like it when the applicant has a set of languages or something extra, so yes, these are helpful. What do you want to study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    yes! especially if you want to be a linguist!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (I'm in Year 9 at the moment) I wanna' go round Psychiatry (basically Medicine) and I'll finish the A-Level course for Sanskrit(outside of school) and Hindi (also outside of school) before Year 12. One of our school teachers is Indian and knows Sanskrit and I signed up for his course. He'll take us to A-Levels with Sanskrit and Hindi is my mother tongue and I'm fluent (Speaking, Reading, Writing etc.) and that GCSE/A Level is taken care of (Hindi School)
    For my other A-Levels, I'm planning Maths, Chemistry, Biology (three of my strongest subjects, Maths Level 8A, Sciences 7A) and German (Level 7A>> Apparently my teacher said that I'm one of the best students he's ever taught and it would be a shame if I didn't take it for A-Levels>> But don't worry about that, It's not so interesting) as well as Psychology (Deeply spiritual and I've always been interested in the mind)>> Will these subjects be fine for A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (I'm in Year 9 at the moment) I wanna' go round Psychiatry (basically Medicine) and I'll finish the A-Level course for Sanskrit(outside of school) and Hindi (also outside of school) before Year 12. One of our school teachers is Indian and knows Sanskrit and I signed up for his course. He'll take us to A-Levels with Sanskrit and Hindi is my mother tongue and I'm fluent (Speaking, Reading, Writing etc.) and that GCSE/A Level is taken care of (Hindi School)
    For my other A-Levels, I'm planning Maths, Chemistry, Biology (three of my strongest subjects, Maths Level 8A, Sciences 7A) and German (Level 7A>> Apparently my teacher said that I'm one of the best students he's ever taught and it would be a shame if I didn't take it for A-Levels>> But don't worry about that, It's not so interesting) as well as Psychology (Deeply spiritual and I've always been interested in the mind)>> Will these subjects be fine for A-Levels?
    Jesus, you're only in year 9? What uni are you planning on applying to, as your first choice? But all of this is really impressive. However a few universities want you to do ALL your A-levels in year 12 and 13, I'm not sure how all of them feel about taking a few A-levels early, so it would be worth looking into.

It's great you're doing well in year 9, but A-levels get tough. Really tough. It's doable, of course, but do you really want to put so much strain on yourself? I'd suggest picking 4 A-levels to a maximum, I'd even say, drop one at AS and only carry on with 3 A2's because even if you have extra A-levels, you won't be at an advantage, in fact I feel like you'd be under more stress that might restrict you from reaching your full potential. Say if you were to pick 3 A-levels, standard offer is AAA for medicine, but if you were to do say, 4 A-levels, not only will they give you that AAA offer, but most unis would also want you to get an A in your fourth A-level. This would spread you thin. So watch out for that.

But other than that, well done, you seem set!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yh, I'm planning to do Psychology for AS only and depends if I'll do German for AS or not. BTW>> Which subjects do uni's want for A-Levels? I've just thought about my strongest subjects. Will Chemistry matter?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yh, I'm planning to do Psychology for AS only and depends if I'll do German for AS or not. BTW>> Which subjects do uni's want for A-Levels? I've just thought about my strongest subjects. Will Chemistry matter?
    YES! For Medicine, you HAVE to take Chemistry and Biology!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's good
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Languages are power! Go for it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.