Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I finally received a reply from the Uni I've always wished to go to -- Exeter. I applied for Politics and Economics (LL12) but when I went on my UCAS track to check, I got an offer to study Mathematics (G100) instead! I am truly confused on whether this is a mistake or they really are offering me a totally different course. I mean I have nothing against mathematics, I actually really enjoy it but...

Anyway, does this happen a lot and what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Theres quite a difference between a Politics and Economics degree and a Mathematics one. I honestly think you should contact them or UCAS... I know I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aqsquare)
    So I finally received a reply from the Uni I've always wished to go to -- Exeter. I applied for Politics and Economics (LL12) but when I went on my UCAS track to check, I got an offer to study Mathematics (G100) instead! I am truly confused on whether this is a mistake or they really are offering me a totally different course. I mean I have nothing against mathematics, I actually really enjoy it but...

Anyway, does this happen a lot and what should I do?
    You should probably give them a call, I'd think history would get mixed up with those, but not maths!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Did your personal statement show that you really love maths? As a PS Helper I've read many economics/business statements that start to imply a maths degree is actually what they should be applying for.

Phone the uni asap and check it isn't a mistake. If they say it isn't, ask their reasons so you can find out why they think you're more suited to maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoholicPolyglot)
    Theres quite a difference between a Politics and Economics degree and a Mathematics one. I honestly think you should contact them or UCAS... I know I would.
    I know right, there's quite a big gap between the two. I really should contact them. Thanks for the input

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    You should probably give them a call, I'd think history would get mixed up with those, but not maths!
    I was thinking about the same thing! that if they really are not offering me the course I wanted, they'd offer me something like History but not Maths. Either way, Thanks for the input! gonna either email them or give them a call soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Did your personal statement show that you really love maths? As a PS Helper I've read many economics/business statements that start to imply a maths degree is actually what they should be applying for.

Phone the uni asap and check it isn't a mistake. If they say it isn't, ask their reasons so you can find out why they think you're more suited to maths.
    I am quite positive that it doesn't really show that I love mathematics. But I did quite show them just how much I love to solve problems and come up with solutions, does that count?

I definitely should, Thank you for your reply

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.