Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/sony/xperia-e/

I currently have a BB (sim contract as I bought the phone).
    I am thinking of buying this Sony and then having a rolling monthly Simplicity contract for £16.00
    Is the phone worth the price?
    This is what I would be using it for:
    E-mails directly to my phone
    Whatsapp
    Maybe playing things like 'draw something' etc.

I also do not know what internet usage tariff I should be on.
    Usually this is how much I use my phone (daily):
    Around 20 mins on Facebook; checking emails which have come to my phone (max of 20 a day). Browsing sometimes (never more than an hour)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)

I am thinking of buying this Sony and then having a rolling monthly Simplicity contract for £16.00
    Whatsapp

Around 20 mins on Facebook; checking emails which have come to my phone (max of 20 a day). Browsing sometimes (never more than an hour)
    If you personally ask my opinion I would add a £10.00 and then use the iphone 5. (https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariffs/ap...-5-16gb-black/ ) It is not simply because that It is iPhone It has many great features.

E-mails directly to your phone
    Whatsapp
    Browsing internet
    Itunes
    Weather
    FaceTime
    The design
    Retina Display
    Face detection
    Video recording HD

I dont want to put all those good tech specs but you can reach them from here. (http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html) And also you can buy Iphone 4S (couldn't find the tariff from O2 itself,but in the apple page it says £23.99 for 24 monthly payments without contract )

Sony XPERIA is a good telephone but I would rather keep the BB or buy iPhone 5.You can also read this article http://www.knowyourmobile.com/apple/...-sony-xperia-t

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlaux)
    If you personally ask my opinion I would add a £10.00 and then use the iphone 5. (https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariffs/ap...-5-16gb-black/ ) It is not simply because that It is iPhone It has many great features.

E-mails directly to your phone
    Whatsapp
    Browsing internet
    Itunes
    Weather
    FaceTime
    The design
    Retina Display
    Face detection
    Video recording HD

I dont want to put all those good tech specs but you can reach them from here. (http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html) And also you can buy Iphone 4S (couldn't find the tariff from O2 itself,but in the apple page it says £23.99 for 24 monthly payments without contract )

Sony XPERIA is a good telephone but I would rather keep the BB or buy iPhone 5.You can also read this article http://www.knowyourmobile.com/apple/...-sony-xperia-t

Hope it helps
    Sorry, that doesn't really answer my question.
    I want a sim-only contract. I did that with my current BB, which I could still sell for £40-£50 so it worked out cheaper than having it on contract.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth paying the extra £29 for the Galaxy Ace 2 in my opinion. It's a much much better phone.
    I think 750MB+ data should be fine.

Just out of curiosity, how many minutes/texts do you need. Is there a reason you're going with O2? You can get better deals elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 3 and I pay £10 a month for 3000 texts, 90 minutes and 500 mb data and I get by pretty fine on that, so you should be fine.

There was a Nokia Lumia Windows Phone on there for £69.99 I noticed, my cousin has one and its very durable, I have a newer one and Windows Phone is pretty good.

ReputationRep:

Whatsapp

Great features?...........most other phones have the same features or some sort of alternative to what the other guy described.

The only thing which makes the Iphone stand out is that its an Apple, it looks good generally and the OS which is about it.

Also this is the best sim only contract around at the moment, everythings unlimited for £16
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-o...m-paym/extras/

this is pretty decent http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-a...xy-ace-2-payg/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    It's worth paying the extra £29 for the Galaxy Ace 2 in my opinion. It's a much much better phone.
    I think 750MB+ data should be fine.

Just out of curiosity, how many minutes/texts do you need. Is there a reason you're going with O2? You can get better deals elsewhere.
    I have always been with O2 as they have good customer service (once they gave me staff discount on a phone case even though I bought the phone from phones4u) and I rarely have problems with network going down etc.

I was just offered 300 mins, 300 O2-O2 mins, (I hardly ever call so this is fine for me) unlimited texts, 250MB data, unlimited wi-fi for £11 a month

ReputationRep:
    I have always been with O2 as they have good customer service (once they gave me staff discount on a phone case even though I bought the phone from phones4u) and I rarely have problems with network going down etc.

I was just offered 300 mins, 300 O2-O2 mins, (I hardly ever call so this is fine for me) unlimited texts, 250MB data, unlimited wi-fi for £11 a month
    Ok, just because if you plan to use data on your phone then 250mb will not be enough and O2 won't be the best network for it. Based on your type of usage i'd say even 500mb won't be enough. Remember, Smartphones use more data than blackberry phones.

I'd recommend getting the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 for £130 from O2. It's the best phone at that price and much better than the Sony Xperia E in every single category.

Also i'd recommend using Tesco mobile (who use O2's network). They are cheaper than O2 yet still provide you with the exact same service. For £10pm you can get 250 Mins/5000 Texts & 1GB of data. You can keep your number as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, just because if you plan to use data on your phone then 250mb will not be enough and O2 won't be the best network for it. Based on your type of usage i'd say even 500mb won't be enough. Remember, Smartphones use more data than blackberry phones.

I'd recommend getting the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 for £130 from O2. It's the best phone at that price and much better than the Sony Xperia E in every single category.

Also i'd recommend using Tesco mobile (who use O2's network). They are cheaper than O2 yet still provide you with the exact same service. For £10pm you can get 250 Mins/5000 Texts & 1GB of data. You can keep your number as well.
    When they just checked my usage at the moment I averaged at around 25Mb a month. I mainly just use it for e-mails coming directly to my phone (PUSH e-mail I think it is called?)
    The Samsung does seem like a better phone - thanks for pointing that out! However, it is Android 2.3?

ReputationRep:
    When they just checked my usage at the moment I averaged at around 25Mb a month. I mainly just use it for e-mails coming directly to my phone (PUSH e-mail I think it is called?)
    The Samsung does seem like a better phone - thanks for pointing that out!
    That's because you're using a blackberry like i said above. It's not a good idea to buy a smartphone and tie yourself into a 12 month contract with 250mb data. Blackberrys compress data by 5x the amount. So that 30mb can easily turn into 150mb on an android device. And if you use it as a smartphone, such as watching youtube, going on facebook, browsing more, then you can push that well above 500mb. Also android updates apps in the background so you need to reserve at least 100mb per month for that.

So like i said, ignore the amount of data you use on a blackberry, You'll use much more on the Samsung.

Therfore, i really recommend not going for a contract with any less than 500mb data. I recommend Tesco as they use the same network as O2 and are cheaper. They have the EXACT same service.

ReputationRep:
    That's because you're using a blackberry like i said above. It's not a good idea to buy a smartphone and tie yourself into a 12 month contract with 250mb data. Blackberrys compress data by 5x the amount. So that 30mb can easily turn into 150mb on an android device. And if you use it as a smartphone, such as watching youtube, going on facebook, browsing more, then you can push that well above 500mb. Also android updates apps in the background so you need to reserve at least 100mb per month for that.

So like i said, ignore the amount of data you use on a blackberry, You'll use much more on the Samsung.

Therfore, i really recommend not going for a contract with any less than 500mb data. I recommend Tesco as they use the same network as O2 and are cheaper. They have the EXACT same service.
    I may stick to my current tariff and just buy a new BB handset when this one kicks in.

ReputationRep:
    I may stick to my current tariff and just buy a new BB handset when this one kicks in.
    What's your current tariff? Is it out of contract?

Tbh blackberry have run into a lot of financial troubles and therefore are only releasing certain handsets over £400 price tag now to try and get higher profit margins. The only cheaper phone they sell at the moment is the Curve 9320 which is £129 but should be worth around £40 based on the specs. It's a much much much worse phone than the Galaxy Ace 2. The only reason someone should stay with blackberry is if they prefer the physical keyboard. But even that's not a reason as blackberry now have no selling point for low end users. They've gone back to targeting their core business users.

So i would not recommend getting another blackberry in this day and age when they're on the brink of collapse and are no longer looking out for average consumer customers. Especially when phones like the samsung can do a lot more and cost a lot less. And with apps like Whatsapp, BBM has been made redundant and a waste of £5pm.

I'd really consider moving to tesco. It's cheaper and better value. I really don't understand why you want to pay more for less on the exact same network. Like i've said before it's the same service and everything. I could have recommend cheaper deals from the likes of Virgin or Three. But because you said you want to stay on O2 that's why i recommend tesco. because they're the exact same.

But at the end of the day it's your decision, i'm just trying to save you money. At the end of the day this is a student forum and i know students want to save as much as possible. In this scenario all that changes is your monthly cost. Your signal and number remains the same.

ReputationRep:
    What's your current tariff? Is it out of contract?

Tbh blackberry have run into a lot of financial troubles and therefore are only releasing certain handsets over £400 price tag now to try and get higher profit margins. The only cheaper phone they sell at the moment is the Curve 9320 which is £129 but should be worth around £40 based on the specs. It's a much much much worse phone than the Galaxy Ace 2. The only reason someone should stay with blackberry is if they prefer the physical keyboard. But even that's not a reason as blackberry now have no selling point for low end users. They've gone back to targeting their core business users.

So i would not recommend getting another blackberry in this day and age when they're on the brink of collapse and are no longer looking out for average consumer customers. Especially when phones like the samsung can do a lot more and cost a lot less. And with apps like Whatsapp, BBM has been made redundant and a waste of £5pm.

I'd really consider moving to tesco. It's cheaper and better value. I really don't understand why you want to pay more for less on the exact same network. Like i've said before it's the same service and everything. I could have recommend cheaper deals from the likes of Virgin or Three. But because you said you want to stay on O2 that's why i recommend tesco. because they're the exact same.

But at the end of the day it's your decision, i'm just trying to save you money. At the end of the day this is a student forum and i know students want to save as much as possible. In this scenario all that changes is your monthly cost. Your signal and number remains the same.
    Currently I get 300 mins (I rarely go over 50), unlimited texts, unlimited BB web for £10. I was looking at the 9360 which I think is around £150. I do prefer a physical keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    Currently I get 300 mins (I rarely go over 50), unlimited texts, unlimited BB web for £10. I was looking at the 9360 which I think is around £150. I do prefer a physical keyboard.
    Yep, if you want another blackberry then the deal your on is fine. So just sell your current phone and then buy the 9360. It is worth nothing that the 9360 is almost 2 years old now and won't be receiving any updates or support from blackberry. In my opinion blackberrys are overpriced, but they're also the only manufacturer who actually still make phones with a physical keyboard.

If you want to stick with Blackberry then the 9320/9360 are the only two choices under the £150 price point. Also your deal with O2 for BBM is good so stay with them there.

But if you're a low user it may be worth looking at Ovivo mobile (Vodafone) who give you 150 mins/150 texts and UNL blackberry services for £5pm, or Virgin (EE) who do the same deal for £7pm but with unlimited texts.

If you want a smartphone then it's worth looking at the galaxy Ace 2 and switching to tesco as the deal you're on at the moment won't apply (because samsung don't use bbm) and O2 will want you to pay extra for something you can get on Tesco for less.

Like i said i'm thinking more on price and best phone/tariff for you. So sorry if i came across as a bit pushy in my previous posts. It's just when you said in your OP you were considering paying £16pm for a sim only i thought it was a bit expensive when there are much cheaper and equivalent options.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, if you want another blackberry then the deal your on is fine. So just sell your current phone and then buy the 9360. It is worth nothing that the 9360 is almost 2 years old now and won't be receiving any updates or support from blackberry. In my opinion blackberrys are overpriced, but they're also the only manufacturer who actually still make phones with a physical keyboard.

If you want to stick with Blackberry then the 9320/9360 are the only two choices under the £150 price point. Also your deal with O2 for BBM is good so stay with them there.

But if you're a low user it may be worth looking at Ovivo mobile (Vodafone) who give you 150 mins/150 texts and UNL blackberry services for £5pm, or Virgin (EE) who do the same deal for £7pm but with unlimited texts.

If you want a smartphone then it's worth looking at the galaxy Ace 2 and switching to tesco as the deal you're on at the moment won't apply (because samsung don't use bbm) and O2 will want you to pay extra for something you can get on Tesco for less.

Like i said i'm thinking more on price and best phone/tariff for you. So sorry if i came across as a bit pushy in my previous posts. It's just when you said in your OP you were considering paying £16pm for a sim only i thought it was a bit expensive when there are much cheaper and equivalent options.
    Seriously thanks for all of your help! I can upgrade my sim contract any time so I think I will stick with it for now (as this tariff I am on is no longer available to new customers)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh no worries.

I think the tariff you're on is great value if you want to stick with your current blackberry/buy a new blackberry. Plus O2 priority moments is awesome am i right! :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.