Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    X has 1.8 x 10^15 atoms and its half life is 8h, after 24h its gonna have 2.25 x 10^14 atoms left.

what is the energy transfer from the sample in 24h if the isotope emits alpha particles of energy 5MeV.

so i know energy transfer = AE,

A = N/t so the atoms that had decayed after 24h is 1.575 x 10^15, so that divided by (24 x 60 x 60) is 1.8 x 10^10, and that multiplied by 5MeV, i thought would give me the answer but it didn't.

what am i doing wrong?

Why are you dividing by 24 x 60 x 60
    Think about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    Why are you dividing by 24 x 60 x 60
    Think about it...
    oh im guessing you dont do that because the time taken had already been taken into consideration.
    so the activity is just the total number of atoms that had decayed in a certain time?

(Original post by cooldudeman)
    oh im guessing you dont do that because the time taken had already been taken into consideration.
    so the activity is just the total number of atoms that had decayed in a certain time?
    Yes you just need the total number decayed in the 24hr time interval.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.