Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand many Republican arguments, but one I think is unfair is the argument of her cost. I often hear people complaining about how much the Queen costs the UK taxpayer. No doubt then that many republicans will be jumping up and down complaining that, this year, the Queen has received an extra £5M from the government. Let me explain...

Recently, George Osborne scrapped the Civil List, which financed the official duties of the Queen, and replaced it with a Sovereign Grant that is equal to 15 percent of the Crown Estate's annual profits.

This year, The Crown Estate, which owns property on behalf of the Queen, said profits were £240 million. The Queen gives all of this money to the exchequer, then the exchequer gives The Queen back 15% of this. Because last year the now defunct Civil List gave the Queen £31M, and under the new system she will receive £36M, she effectively has a £5M pay rise.

But it's not really a pay rise. If you do the maths you work out that she basically has a TAX rate of 85%, and that she gives the government £204M per year.

Can it really be said that giving the Queen back an extra £5m of her earnings is unfair?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's understandable how some people will react negatively to this. I think we can all remember the government saying "We're all in this together" not too long ago, and then people see this. According to Republic "The estimated total annual cost of the monarchy to taxpayers is £202.4m... The official figure excludes a number of costs, including round-the-clock security, lavish royal visits and lost revenue from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall."

Then they go on to say ridiculous things like "£202.4m is equivalent to 9,560 nurses, 8,200 police officers and more than the total annual Ministry of Defence spending on food." I haven't looked particularly hard, but I haven't seen anything on their website about the cost a republic would be. The issue of money when it comes to monarchy is one that's never as clear cut as "good value for money".

ReputationRep:
    Scrap the monarchy and have a president.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazinq)
    So we can have a man like george bush in control?

ReputationRep:
    She should totally not have been given this money and instead everyone in the country should've got 8p tax credit back to them.

ReputationRep:
    This is completely ridiculous! The amount of work the Queen does is close to nought, yet she is being granted this highly exquisite pay rise. This is absurd and completely preposterous, to the highest extent :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Login)
    This is completely ridiculous! The amount of work the Queen does is close to nought, yet she is being granted this highly exquisite pay rise. This is absurd and completely preposterous, to the highest extent :mad:

(Original post by Snagprophet)
    She should totally not have been given this money and instead everyone in the country should've got 8p tax credit back to them.
    This is exactly the kind of rubbish I'm talking about! I can understand some republic arguments but this one is just absurd!

She has not been given any money, she has just been allowed to keep more of HER OWN money.

Based on your calculation, The Queen already funds £3.30 TAX credit for everybody, including YOU- she pays us, we don't pay her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Based on your calculation, The Queen already funds £3.30 TAX credit for everybody, including YOU- she pays us, we don't pay her!
    Well I demand my 8p back. God damn this fascist class system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Well I demand my 8p back. God damn this fascist class system.
    *her 8p

ReputationRep:
    *her 8p
    Same thing?

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant message to be sending out, especially with what else has been announced recently. The crown estate is not the private property of the queen, and its profits belong to us and not her, its not her money that we're giving back to her, its ours.

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This year, The Crown Estate, which owns property on behalf of the Queen, said profits were £240 million. The Queen gives all of this money to the exchequer, then the exchequer gives The Queen back 15% of this. Because last year the now defunct Civil List gave the Queen £31M, and under the new system she will receive £36M, she effectively has a £5M pay rise.
    Except they're giving her the exact same percentage, which correct me if I'm wrong would mean the amount she has given the exchequer rises as well. This is one of those rare situations where both parties win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    So we can have a man like george bush in control?
    Yes if that is what the people voted for. Or we could have a man like Obama, Stephen Fry, David Beckham, an actor off Coronation Street etc. The people would decide, as the people would be in control- not the current randomness/unfairness of what sperm will be successful.

I think it's terrible that I was born into a country where I knew I would never became head of state. Not because I wasn't clever enough but because of who I was born to.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly the kind of rubbish I'm talking about! I can understand some republic arguments but this one is just absurd!

She has not been given any money, she has just been allowed to keep more of HER OWN money.

The thing is- why should the Crown Estate be her money?. If I find oil on my land, I should be allowed to keep it (indeed this is what happens in most parts of the world- makes sense). But oh, no- here it goes to the Crown Estate. This is the same with anything e.g wind power done on the coast line. This is totally nuts.

So yes, the Crown Estate does generate money- but how anybody can rightfully say in the 21st century that the monarch should own it is beyond me!

The next thing you'll be telling me is that having a monarchy generates so much to our economy in tourism!

ReputationRep:
    Family of Spongers. Get rid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazinq)

Which is an even bigger cost than the current monarchy.

ReputationRep:

It is not HER money. It is CROWN money. From CROWN lands.

The question you need to ask yourself is this: how did the crown come to own those lands?

ReputationRep:
    The Queen doesn't get paid. This sort of thing is spending on the Royal Household, whether the upkeep of buildings, official travel, office costs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The Queen doesn't get paid. This sort of thing is spending on the Royal Household, whether the upkeep of buildings, official travel, office costs etc.
    She doesn't get paid no, but she lives a life of absolute luxury almost entirely at the tax payers expense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.