Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've got offers from UCL and Leeds to read French (rejections from Oxford, Durham, St Andrews).

My natural thinking is to put UCL as firm choice and Leeds as insurance.

However, my dad has made it clear he seriously does not want me to go to UCL because of the cost, the 'step-up' of moving to London, etc.

I would love to go to London, but kinda think my dad has a point...

Anybody in a similar situation?? Would love some advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoopyLinguist)
    Hi, I've got offers from UCL and Leeds to read French (rejections from Oxford, Durham, St Andrews).

However, my dad has made it clear he seriously does not want me to go to UCL because of the cost, the 'step-up' of moving to London, etc.

You get extra money for attending in London to help offset that extra cost.

Money shouldn't be a barrier to education, you should go where you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    If you study in London, you get more from student finance to cover the costs.

I would pick UCL, it's a GREAT institution.

ReputationRep:
    If you're adamant in going to UCL but your dad can't afford to send you there then I would advise you to get a part time job whilst at uni. If not then looks like you're heading to leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    You get extra money for attending in London to help offset that extra cost.

Money shouldn't be a barrier to education, you should go where you want to go.
    Hi, thank you. I know money shouldn't be a barrier, but unfortunately it is.

ReputationRep:
    uni is a scam espeically living in london way too much money

ReputationRep:
    Look at expected rents and costs (try asking some current students to talk to if you can) and work out how much it would cost vs how much money you have + student finance (more in London) + parental contributions. If you can afford both then just decide which place you'd prefer to study at! If you can't then look into part time jobs or just accept that you'll have to go to Leeds - it sucks, but running out of money and dropping out sucks more...

ReputationRep:

Go to your favourite. You get extra grants/loans for London and you can get a part time job. If you really love UCL then you should go for it. My family is quite poor but I have UCL as my firm and KCL as my insurance - I would regret it otherwise. Choose your favourite otherwise you'll probably resent your Dad from preventing you from going there. I'll be doing French and German, so we could quite possibly meet. HI! Check out our UCL firmers thread if you do end up firming UCL

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at bursaries and what-not? Always try and find what you're entitled to!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you. I know money shouldn't be a barrier, but unfortunately it is.
    Yeah, I hope that didn't come across wrong, I too know that finance is a huge barrier. There is help out there for you though. Part time work is definitely an option, 12 hours per week in a retail environment would give you around £75 per week extra money.

Have you also looked to see if you qualify for any bursaries or scholarships? I'm not sure on UCL's policy, but there tends to be quite a lot of finance out there from this vein.

ReputationRep:
    Just go. What your father thinks is irrelevant; you are an end in yourself, not a means to the ends of others; you must live for your own sake, neither sacrificing yourself to others nor sacrificing others to yourself; you must work for your rational self-interest, with the achievement of your own happiness as the highest moral purpose of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    Yeah, I hope that didn't come across wrong, I too know that finance is a huge barrier. There is help out there for you though. Part time work is definitely an option, 12 hours per week in a retail environment would give you around £75 per week extra money.

Have you also looked to see if you qualify for any bursaries or scholarships? I'm not sure on UCL's policy, but there tends to be quite a lot of finance out there from this vein.
    No, didn't come across wrong at all! Yeah, there is financial support and I am already saving from my weekend job. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your offers!

My first thought would be to firm UCL as I've been to the school and really liked it there. Plus, it does seem to be higher up on the prestige hierarchy if that's something that's important to you. Also, London IS an exciting place to be. So...I agree with what the others have said, go where you want to go! You can always get a part time job to finance the extra living costs.

However, really sit down and talk to your dad - make sure that he's on your side. Don't let this put a strain in your relationship My dad was quite opposed to my decision to study medicine (for various reasons) and we had little outbursts here and there because of it. I wouldn't feel right if applying meant my dad feels upset/unhappy with my decision. (....I know. I'm a bit of a wuss but there you have it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrhythmia)
    Congrats on your offers!

My first thought would be to firm UCL as I've been to the school and really liked it there. Plus, it does seem to be higher up on the prestige hierarchy if that's something that's important to you. Also, London IS an exciting place to be. So...I agree with what the others have said, go where you want to go! You can always get a part time job to finance the extra living costs.

However, really sit down and talk to your dad - make sure that he's on your side. Don't let this put a strain in your relationship My dad was quite opposed to my decision to study medicine (for various reasons) and we had little outbursts here and there because of it. I wouldn't feel right if applying meant my dad feels upset/unhappy with my decision. (....I know. I'm a bit of a wuss but there you have it)
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Look at both courses and see how they differ. Choose the one you prefer.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.