Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advise on which is better. The M&T program at Jerome Fisher University of Pennsylvania or Comp science at Oxford. Tough choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aprpvr)
    Any advise on which is better. The M&T program at Jerome Fisher University of Pennsylvania or Comp science at Oxford. Tough choice
    Oh wow. I was at Penn recently and met some people on the JF program. I was doing CS @ Penn as an exchange student from Edinburgh. Inbox me if you want great detail but overall US very different from the UK, especially Penn. I can comment that CS and SEAS at Penn seemed to suck, the entire schools focus is definitely Wharton. I'm not sure how much JF is skewed to SEAS or Wharton to be honest, the program is probably very flexible.

If I was in your position, I'd take Oxford. I think the UK in general wins hands down for undergraduate, and I'm quite certain that Oxford CS is much better than Penn CS or SEAS. In terms of the business or management side of things, I don't know much about how Oxford fares for that but Wharton would definitely be more (if not the most) prestigious for that in the US esp.

But yeah, undergrad in the US is a bit dodgy, especially those dual program degrees (though this is definitely one of the better ones). The advantage of Penn is that you can probably switch into a full time Wharton program or something while the program at Oxford will be quite rigid. It's also 3 years at Oxford vs 4 at Penn. Price should be a huge factor also, Oxford definitely wins there.

At the end of the day the Oxford route is more 'honest'. Oxford is definitely more prestigious overall. It's also a ton cheaper, a public university, and you will learn tons in the program. The US way of undergrad is more like a business, especially Penn. If you want to work in the US Wharton will set you up very nicely though - but an extra year and a ton more money, it's hard to say if it's worth it...

Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.