Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Welfare change opponents chat a pile of **** Watch

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that statement entirely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21998784

Do you agree?

There is not a single argument against the bedroom tax for example.

ReputationRep:
    You're going home in a privatised ambulance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    I agree with that statement entirely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21998784

Do you agree?

There is not a single argument against the bedroom tax for example.
    yes there is, NOT ENOUGH SMALLER HOUSES!!!

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, it's the proponents who chat the greatest ****e:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-about-welfare

:dunce:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    There are PLENTY of smaller houses if one were to look hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    it has been shown by research pointed to on another thread that there are about 3000 1 or 2 bed properties avaiable and 300,000 people who need them

ReputationRep:
    Mr Duncan Smith dismissed the petition as a "complete stunt" and told his local Wanstead and Woodford Guardian he had been unemployed twice so "I know what it is like to live on the breadline".

Wiki:

He was moved to the Regular Army Reserve of Officers on 2 April 1981, signalling his retirement from the military.[13]

Upon leaving the Scots Guards, Duncan Smith spent a period applying for jobs and claiming unemployment benefit,[15] during which he joined the Conservative Party. He took up employment at GEC-Marconi in 1981,

Gee. Times must have been tough for IDS. [sarc/]

ReputationRep:
    I think I dislike Osborne so much, that if he told me the sky was blue, I'd violently scream at him: 'IT'S PURPLE YOU POSH TIT!'

That being said, even if the statement was made by Ryan Gosling dipped in chocolate and surrounded by kittens, I'd still disagree. Opponents to welfare change have every right to be concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Not unless they looked so hard they began to hallucinate a small house...

ReputationRep:
    "This month, around nine out of 10 working households will be better off as a result of the changes we are making. This month we will make work pay." George Osborne

"The reforms will hit the poorest 10% of people hardest while those in the top 10% will gain." Labour

"The bedroom tax, a policy so stupid it forces people to leave their homes and drag themselves around the country in search of nonexistent one-bedroom flats." Ricky Tomlinson

"There are PLENTY of smaller houses if one were to look hard enough." Chadya

Vague and contradictory statements are constantly being thrown around by everyone. Does anyone have any facts?

ReputationRep:
    it has been shown by research pointed to on another thread that there are about 3000 1 or 2 bed properties avaiable and 300,000 people who need them

http://m.gumtree.com/flats-houses/fo...ionId=11000043

so according to that research the West Midlands alone has 20% of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    http://m.gumtree.com/flats-houses/fo...ionId=11000043

so according to that research the West Midlands alone has 20% of them.
    in the social housing sector that people on housing benefit will be able to afford.

ReputationRep:
    No there is not, i am currently working with a trade union group looking into the impact of the 'bedroom tax' and other attacks on the welfare state. In Derby there is a massive shortage of one bedroom social housing and it's the same throughout the country. It will only make things so much worse for the most vulnerable.

People are so short sighted on this subject it is ridiculous, asking people to take in lodgers or move from their family home regardless of length of tenancy or health is unfair.

What about a separated father who keeps two rooms for his children to visit? Should he just give up on having a relationship with his children just so he can heat his house and feed himself?

Or parents who's child is away at university? The parents may be considered to have a spare room if they don't fulfill some criteria!

Advice being given....
    Number 1 move??? to where i ask when there is a shortage of smaller homes?
    Number 2 take in a lodger??? yeah that's a great idea, let a stranger into your home if you may be vulnerable or have dependents like children.
    Number 3 Increase the hours you work??? haha if only it was that easy
    Number 4 Get a job??? are they on a wind up?

source http://www.lbbd.gov.uk/AdviceBenefit...s2013FAQs.aspx

This is an act of class war, plain and simple

ReputationRep:
    in the social housing sector that people on housing benefit will be able to afford.
    Don't tell me that someone on housing benefit cannot afford £400 a month. The Govt (aka the taxpayer) would pay that in full for them.

ReputationRep:
    There are stupid people on both sides of the table.

People talking about 'attacks' and 'class warfare' are morons, and those that assume there is no issue with the policy are very short-sighted too. Why can we not have discourse on political matters without ridicuous hyperbole and meaningless soundbites?

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell me that someone on housing benefit cannot afford £400 a month. The Govt (aka the taxpayer) would pay that in full for them.
    https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/what-youll-get

Scroll about 3/5 of the way down.

Does that or does that not say that someone who lives on their own one bedroom property is only entitled to £250 per month? Absolute maximum. For private rent, which is considerably higher than social rent...

ReputationRep:
    The government gives me money in the form of a student loan. They don't give me enough money to have my own house or one with a spare bedroom, so I share a house with some other students.

It's not that complicated. People needing only one or two bedrooms should be encouraged to share.

I don't see what the problem is, you're still getting free accommodation, paid for by somebody else's hard work

ReputationRep:
    Affordable ones into which unemployed people can move?? No. There aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    There are stupid people on both sides of the table.

People talking about 'attacks' and 'class warfare' are morons, and those that assume there is no issue with the policy are very short-sighted too. Why can we not have discourse on political matters without ridicuous hyperbole and meaningless soundbites?
    Because what's going on is a concerted attack on the poor? Punishing them for the crisis created by a small coterie of very overpaid bankers and city traders, most of whom have suffered no loss?

If what's happening right now is not class war by the rich against the poor, organised by the traditional instrument of that war, the Tory Party, it's hard to know what is.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    To a certain extent I do agree. The welfare system in this country is completely unsustainable and over-generous in general, but branding everyone on benefit as a scrounger is completely unrealistic, and a lot of government policies and speeches at the moment seem to be attempting to do just that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.