Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Compared to Durham I mean

ReputationRep:
    Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller.....

ReputationRep:
    Bueller.................Bueller.

ReputationRep:
    They're both fairly similar in terms of reputation for maths. One major difference is that Kings is in London - what are your thoughts on that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    Bueller.................Bueller.
    Ha.

King's is terrible for Maths compared to Durham. I went to Cambridge for undergrad, Kings for postgrad, and now I'm doing a PhD at Bath. I would say that the postgrad exams at Kings were at a lower level (in terms of difficulty) than first year exams at Cam.

I've tutored a student at Durham, I think it's a good maths course but definitely not as hard as Cam or Ox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    Ha.

King's is terrible for Maths compared to Durham. I went to Cambridge for undergrad, Kings for postgrad, and now I'm doing a PhD at Bath. I would say that the postgrad exams at Kings were at a lower level (in terms of difficulty) than first year exams at Cam.

I've tutored a student at Durham, I think it's a good maths course but definitely not as hard as Cam or Ox.
    Ignoring academic aspects...how is King's for getting into say, IB, finance, becoming an actuary or accountant for example?

Masters at King's being as hard as first year Cambridge Maths, you are exaggerating right? Or you're a troll...you have a thread which says you're doing a PhD at Bristol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    They're both fairly similar in terms of reputation for maths. One major difference is that Kings is in London - what are your thoughts on that?
    That sounds good, I don't plan on going into anything academic, so if the difficulty is different, I don't really care, as long as King's reputation is still good. Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    Ignoring academic aspects...how is King's for getting into say, IB, finance, becoming an actuary or accountant for example?

Masters at King's being as hard as first year Cambridge Maths, you are exaggerating right?
    Not really. I did Kings Financial Maths, and then worked as a pensions actuary for three years (so it certainly prepares you for jobs in finance well).

The difference in difficulty is more to do with the fact that Cambridge and (possibly) Oxford are much harder than most other places. Kings would be similar to, say, Bristol and Bath, and is well respected by employers.

Cambridge has a style of exams that caters for, and distinguishes between, exceptional students. These students would just all get 100% in most other university exams.

If you want to work in academia, then I would suggest Cambridge is definitely a better choice. If you want to get a good job (not in academia), than it's probably easier to get a first at Kings than at Cam / Ox / Durham.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.