Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is using an airbrushed picture ethical? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I am online using a dating site, I use a picture that is me, but is heavily airbrushed (I have a very nifty app on my phone).

Is this ethical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    When I am online using a dating site, I use a picture that is me, but is heavily airbrushed (I have a very nifty app on my phone).

Is this ethical?
    It's deceitful...

ReputationRep:
    Why would you do that? It would be really awkward if you meet any of these people and you're nothing like they expected.

ReputationRep:
    People who use filters and/or edit their photos are deceiving themselves and others.

Don't be insecure with yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashazzz)
    Why would you do that? It would be really awkward if you meet any of these people and you're nothing like they expected.
    I do use a picture of my genuine self, it's just edited to highlight me to my full potential.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I do use a picture of my genuine self, it's just edited to highlight me to my full potential.
    Well then you don't actually look like that. That's unethical, setting up dates under fale pretenses.

ReputationRep:
    So if you were to meet somebody in real life, would you be able to edit and highlight yourself to your full potential?
    Don't think so darling! It's better to put up a picture which realistically looks like you.

ReputationRep:
    Probably no different to wearing make up.. And pretty obvious too if overdone..

ReputationRep:
    By artificial means...

ReputationRep:
    If someone showed me this picture:
    Name:  eden_wood_01.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  42.1 KB
    I would never be able to identify the little girl in real life because it's gone beyond showing her 'full potential' and turned her into something she's not.
    Name:  eden_wood_03.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  50.2 KB
    (I realise you're not a little girl, but it's a good example of how different edited pictures can look compared to the reality)

It is deceiving people. I'm sure you wouldn't like it done to you. No point in exaggerating everything to make yourself look better online as you will have to show how you look without the editing if you decide to meet anyone from the site.
    Attached Images

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.