Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have a BSc Economics & Management from the University of London External Programme but i got a Third Class Honours which isn't exactly nice. I intend to do a Masters in Accounting and Finance fulltime but I dunno where i can get into in London. I got into Brunel University with a Pre masters but the fee was absolutely out of reach, a whopping £ 20,000 (£6500 for the premasters + £13500 for the Msc.) By the way i am an international student. I even got into Middlesex but that too amounted to £15,500 and my budget is a maximum £9,500 (remember im an international non UK/EU student). any idea what i can do n get into a reasonably ok uni but at the right price. I see LCA is a branch campus of Anglia Ruskin n their MBA costs £8000 but dunno about the job prospects after that. any idea about other courses? i intend to start in september.

Thanks and regards,

Z.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zain.elias)
    Hi all,

I have a BSc Economics & Management from the University of London External Programme but i got a Third Class Honours which isn't exactly nice. I intend to do a Masters in Accounting and Finance fulltime but I dunno where i can get into in London. I got into Brunel University with a Pre masters but the fee was absolutely out of reach, a whopping £ 20,000 (£6500 for the premasters + £13500 for the Msc.) By the way i am an international student. I even got into Middlesex but that too amounted to £15,500 and my budget is a maximum £9,500 (remember im an international non UK/EU student). any idea what i can do n get into a reasonably ok uni but at the right price. I see LCA is a branch campus of Anglia Ruskin n their MBA costs £8000 but dunno about the job prospects after that. any idea about other courses? i intend to start in september.

Thanks and regards,

Z.
    Obviously it's your choice, but I think you need to seriously consider if further study if right for you. Unless there were serious mitigating circumstances explaining the Third Class then in all likelihood you would not be up to the rigours of an MSc. Also, the fee range of about £13500 is about right for international student fees, especially considering that home students often pay upwards of £9000 - £10,000 for finance-related postgraduate degrees. An MSc won't erase your poor undergrad performance. So why do you want to do an MSc?

ReputationRep:
    why don't u try distance learning? its cheaper instead of london.. i am EU student and i can hardly afford london for an MSc...even unis close to london are expensive too...

Also, poor marks do not necessarily reflect poor performance or a bad student... that is absolutely fault. My uni contributed lots to my marks...in another uni i could have done way better... its a combination of things contributing to someone's marks and everyone has the right to an MSc... I can even tell you tasha1986 that I knew more things on my subject than people who got 1st or 2.1 because they lots of them were memorizing like learning theatre lines... and i got a 2.2 cause of that stupid uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcr2288)
    why don't u try distance learning? its cheaper instead of london.. i am EU student and i can hardly afford london for an MSc...even unis close to london are expensive too...

Also, poor marks do not necessarily reflect poor performance or a bad student... that is absolutely fault. My uni contributed lots to my marks...in another uni i could have done way better... its a combination of things contributing to someone's marks and everyone has the right to an MSc... I can even tell you tasha1986 that I knew more things on my subject than people who got 1st or 2.1 because they lots of them were memorizing like learning theatre lines... and i got a 2.2 cause of that stupid uni...
    I haven't said that he/she shouldn't or can't do an MSc. i merely recommended that he/she consider why they ended up with a Third class degree. There may well have been mitigating circumstances. A Third Class absolutely does reflect poor performance, but there could be a number of reasons for that. People learn in different ways, but the thread starter needs to do a bit of self-reflection (if they haven't already) about the reasons for getting a Third - if for no other reason than not throwing away thousands of pounds and having the same process repeat itself again and coming away with the minimum required for a pass, or not passing at all. They will also probably have to explain the Third Class in other applications and why it is not an accurate reflection of their potential performance at MSc.

I'm not trying to be mean or judgemental. But an MSc is very hard work and a huge financial undertaking, and a bit of honest self-reflection is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply guys. For some reason the reply i posted to Tasha's answer didnt show up on the thread (i think i might have replied in a privat msg by mistake, im sorry im new to this lol) anyway i really appreciate u guys giving sincere advice. let me just formally introduce myself, my name is Zain Elias, i am from Pakistan, 26 yeards old male, been working at a Chartered Accountancy firm. i got into the MBA programme here in Karachi in the well known institute IBA in september 2012, cleared their entry test, then their group discussion phase and then the interview, i was hesitant initially cuz of the Third i had but i figured if my marks were less they wouldn't award me the admission. during the interview the professor asking me questions is a Phd from UK so i figured she'd know what a Third is and if she thinks its less i wouldnt get onto the MBA programme, she asked me questions about my Alevels but nothing about my degree marks although it was right in front of her, she also took a look at my original degree. so anyway after a week i made the list was awarded admission and began studying got good marks in the first mid term as well but then one day the office guy calls me and says yr marks in yr last degree is less so i told him that you required a 2.5 gpa n this equal to that (according to online sources) and even if it wasn't what the heck are u doing bringing this up 3 weeks after giving me admission i've left my job and am performing according to your standards too plus i gave u all my documents at the start and if this wasn't upto yr standards why did u give me the admission in the first place plus i've cleared all yr admission procedures (test/group discussion/interview). well the matter went to the admission committee and they said we've made a mistake we shouldn't have given u the admission and then they cancelled it. so then i didnt have a job and not studying either and now 6 months down the road im still jobless with nothing in hand. what hurt me was the fact that i gave them everything at the start, complied with all their rules and then they did this, so know im considering studying in UK so that i can turn this around. atleast once i get admission to a UK university they wont throw me out just because they didnt see i had a Third.

i fully understand yr sincere advice tasha but now i am more than ever determined to get a good qualification. any ideas to what i should do?

ReputationRep:
    I really suggest that you qualify as a Chartered Accountant or something similar, and leave the MBA and MSc track for others.

And you are really too young to benefit from an MBA, which is of most help to people who have already got some solid work experience as a mid-level professional in a business context.

Sure, UK universities would be glad to take your money if you were willing to pay their (outrageous) tuition fees, but the reputable ones charge fees that are beyond your reach, and a qualification that you can afford is probably not worth having.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasha1986)
    I haven't said that he/she shouldn't or can't do an MSc. i merely recommended that he/she consider why they ended up with a Third class degree. There may well have been mitigating circumstances. A Third Class absolutely does reflect poor performance, but there could be a number of reasons for that. People learn in different ways, but the thread starter needs to do a bit of self-reflection (if they haven't already) about the reasons for getting a Third - if for no other reason than not throwing away thousands of pounds and having the same process repeat itself again and coming away with the minimum required for a pass, or not passing at all. They will also probably have to explain the Third Class in other applications and why it is not an accurate reflection of their potential performance at MSc.

I'm not trying to be mean or judgemental. But an MSc is very hard work and a huge financial undertaking, and a bit of honest self-reflection is a good idea.

(Original post by Voyager_2002)
    I really suggest that you qualify as a Chartered Accountant or something similar, and leave the MBA and MSc track for others.

And you are really too young to benefit from an MBA, which is of most help to people who have already got some solid work experience as a mid-level professional in a business context.

Sure, UK universities would be glad to take your money if you were willing to pay their (outrageous) tuition fees, but the reputable ones charge fees that are beyond your reach, and a qualification that you can afford is probably not worth having.
    I think both these posts make very good points.

ReputationRep:
    After having a quick look on FindaMasters.com there is only one program within your fee range, and with seemingly more flexible entry requirements, at the University of East London in International Accounting and Finance.

But to be honest, I completely agree with what Voyager_2002 has said. Also, you haven't addressed the reasons for getting a Third. All you've said is that you did start an MBA in Pakistan but they revoked your admission because of your Third Class degree.

I don't think this is worth it, if I'm being honest.

ReputationRep:
    ?..

i fully understand yr sincere advice tasha but now i am more than ever determined to get a good qualification. any ideas to what i should do?
    I'm sorry to hear you went through a bad experience.

However, it's very questionable whether an MBA from Anglian Ruskin is a "good" qualification. MBAs are a dime a dozen these days, and they don't differentiate you at all unless they are from a decent business school. And those, mainly because MBAs are very often company sponsored, are well out of your budget.

ReputationRep:
    [A 49% is a 3rd and a 50% is a 2.2.

R u kidding me? It does reflect poor performance...however, degree marks are not that accurate. This is my point. Unless you get to know the person and then decide whether it suits a position/place.

This is another topic of course, but i am telling u again, degree marks are very very fictional from my experience at uni...people reading in front of a mirror, learning it like they got a theatrical play...and thats 80% of the students, mind you. It always depends on the uni, on the lecturers, the professors, the environment everything!!! ]

Now, dude, i would recommend trying OU for a start...or send some emails, talk with some unis and see what they say...whatever we tell u here it is very relevant to count on... and especially don't waste ur budget... think carefully and decide.

ReputationRep:
    also for these reasons, i wish i went to a crap uni for my BSc, easily get a 2.1, 1st rather than go to a good uni spend most of my student life in the library and labs and now that A4 paper saying Class 2 division 2. Thanks. No one knows or cares because of the reasons i mentioned above. It's all about the RAE in some unis cause thats where the £££ come from!!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks ever so much all of u.. yeah ill contact universities today and will keep you all updated for sure.

the reason i got a Third was basically i was complacent in the beginning and then like i said the local college here wasn't that helpful either plus i think a degree through distance learning (DL) is more difficult since you miss out on the university experience plus you never get a feel of your course instructors and what they might test you on. you can tell that in class when a teacher stresses on a particular topic you know. A degree through DL is like groping in the dark and requires extra commitment more so than a regular degree.. let me get back to you guys but meanwhile let me say i am overwhelmed at the promptness, relevance and sincerity of your responses. thanks alot.. ill update when i have something.

ReputationRep:
    hey, so i told you i already got into Brunel and Middlesex in the MSc Management program (but first i'd have to do the pre masters) anyway so i got a reply from LCA for the Anglia Ruskin degree and they said i dont fulfill their entry requirements so they cant offer me admission so now this is a bit depressing to be honest, i am committed to do a Masters but cant find anyone who'd take me and if i do the fees is unbelievable, isn't their a solution to this problem?

ReputationRep:
    The harsh truth is that your undergrad marks are not enough to get on to a masters course without some kind of pre-masters: this is clear from your story. If you cannot afford thei route, then the only option I'm afraid is to keep looking for work, save up as much as you can, and revisit the idea of doing a masters in a few years time. You won't be the only one who has had to save up before being able to do postgrad....

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

thanks ever so much for all your sincere replies in this thread. I feel obliged to update you on matters since. After all your advice and those of my friends i decided it was important to get a qualification of value not just a degree for the sake of it. As i had previously been working in a Chartered Accountancy firm here in Pakistan, i applied for ACCA full time programme at BPP college in London at their Shepherd's Bush campus and got the admission and subsequently paid the fee too (£5544 for 9 papers). I got one exemption from ACCA too for the F1 paper based on my degree so i have to give 13 papers instead of the 14. I am to apply for Visa in mid of june (a few things left to complete) pray i get the visa and i'll be on my way to London.

Your thoughts/advice/experiences regarding ACCA/BPP/Shepherd's Bush will be most appreciated.

regards,

Z

ReputationRep:
    Maybe have a look at the courses available at Open University?

Edit: Didn't see the last post, sounds a lot better than my advice and you might be able to start working as an accountant as you pass the exams, as a friend of mine did.

ReputationRep:
    lol everybody seems busy but guys any input?

Hey guys,

thanks ever so much for all your sincere replies in this thread. I feel obliged to update you on matters since. After all your advice and those of my friends i decided it was important to get a qualification of value not just a degree for the sake of it. As i had previously been working in a Chartered Accountancy firm here in Pakistan, i applied for ACCA full time programme at BPP college in London at their Shepherd's Bush campus and got the admission and subsequently paid the fee too (£5544 for 9 papers). I got one exemption from ACCA too for the F1 paper based on my degree so i have to give 13 papers instead of the 14. I am to apply for Visa in mid of june (a few things left to complete) pray i get the visa and i'll be on my way to London.

Your thoughts/advice/experiences regarding ACCA/BPP/Shepherd's Bush will be most appreciated.

regards,

Z

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people go to Oxford and come out with 2.2s, and still become reasonably successful (Tony Blair, Boris Johnson, Imran Khan, Vorderman).

So a third can't be all that disastrous as it is not too far from 2.2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.