Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently bought a custom gaming PC. For the most part, it's been great - built well, runs games nicely. However, I'm experiencing some issues with older generation games, those that don't use DirectX 11. For example, when the PC first arrived and I had set it up, I downloaded ARMA 2 Free. There didn't appear to be any hiccups during installation, but upon launching the game I received the notorious X3daudio1_6.dll error. I thought this would be a simple problem to overcome, one which would be easily resolved by downloading the DirectX package from Microsoft's site, as it was said to include previous iterations of the platform. I was wrong! I tried numerous other "solutions", all to no avail. In the end, I gave up in frustration, fearing that I would do something I'd eventually regret (I'm not the most patient of people). Anyway, I later installed Steam, and downloaded a few demos and TF2, all of which worked. It's only when I tried to play the Just Cause 2 demo that I experienced another .dll error. Not only that, but it black-screened my computer. So I'm in a position where I fear that many games, fantastic games, are literally unplayable on my system, a situation which makes my PC, well, limited. I have no idea how to proceed, really, and I would greatly appreciate some advice.

My graphics card is the EVGA GTX 670 FTW (I've updated the drivers from Nvidia's website) and my OS is Windows 7 64-bit. I'll gladly provide any further details if required.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I recently bought a custom gaming PC. For the most part, it's been great - built well, runs games nicely. However, I'm experiencing some issues with older generation games, those that don't use DirectX 11. For example, when the PC first arrived and I had set it up, I downloaded ARMA 2 Free. There didn't appear to be any hiccups during installation, but upon launching the game I received the notorious X3daudio1_6.dll error. I thought this would be a simple problem to overcome, one which would be easily resolved by downloading the DirectX package from Microsoft's site, as it was said to include previous iterations of the platform. I was wrong! I tried numerous other "solutions", all to no avail. In the end, I gave up in frustration, fearing that I would do something I'd eventually regret (I'm not the most patient of people). Anyway, I later installed Steam, and downloaded a few demos and TF2, all of which worked. It's only when I tried to play the Just Cause 2 demo that I experienced another .dll error. Not only that, but it black-screened my computer. So I'm in a position where I fear that many games, fantastic games, are literally unplayable on my system, a situation which makes my PC, well, limited. I have no idea how to proceed, really, and I would greatly appreciate some advice.

My graphics card is the EVGA GTX 670 FTW (I've updated the drivers from Nvidia's website) and my OS is Windows 7 64-bit. I'll gladly provide any further details if required.

Thanks in advance.
    Can you link me this custom computer you got?
    Some places are actually terrible and a rip off as well.

Also remember to google search the error alongside the game, it can be down to the OS your running and solutions are generally easy to use Or run in compatibility mode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Can you link me this custom computer you got?
    Some places are actually terrible and a rip off as well.

Also remember to google search the error alongside the game, it can be down to the OS your running and solutions are generally easy to use Or run in compatibility mode.
    I got it from Dinopc. Here are the specs:

i5 3570k (overclocked)
    Asus P8Z77-V LX2
    8GB Corsair 1866mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
    2TB HDD
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Corsair H60 Water Cooler
    650W Corsair TX Modular

Excluding the warranty and delivery charge, the price came to about £950.

With ARMA 2 Free, I followed several pieces of advice: I downloaded and extracted the DirectX packages as admin into the game folder, granted permissions to all users, and installed and reinstalled the game multiple times. Still no dice, however. Just Cause 2 gave me a separate .dll error, and, to be honest, it was pretty scary: black screen and loss of mouse function. Luckily I didn't have to turn off the machine! I'm thinking I might have to reinstall the OS. See if that can remedy the issue. It's weird, though, because TF2, a non DirectX 11 game, worked fine. Giving me a damn headache, that's for sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I got it from Dinopc. Here are the specs:

i5 3570k (overclocked)
    Asus P8Z77-V LX2
    8GB Corsair 1866mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
    2TB HDD
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Corsair H60 Water Cooler
    650W Corsair TX Modular

Excluding the warranty and delivery charge, the price came to about £950.

With ARMA 2 Free, I followed several pieces of advice: I downloaded and extracted the DirectX packages as admin into the game folder, granted permissions to all users, and installed and reinstalled the game multiple times. Still no dice, however. Just Cause 2 gave me a separate .dll error, and, to be honest, it was pretty scary: black screen and loss of mouse function. Luckily I didn't have to turn off the machine! I'm thinking I might have to reinstall the OS. See if that can remedy the issue. It's weird, though, because TF2, a non DirectX 11 game, worked fine. Giving me a damn headache, that's for sure!
    This is the advice I'm getting.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...sing-error.htm

Definitely reinstall direct x and make sure to get it directly from the website. Also try download direct x 9.............or possibly a reinstall of the game.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.