Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have two offers from University of Law (formerly College of Law) and Nottingham Law School. I have left it a bit late to decide. I have until 2pm, 03 April. But reason being that I frankly don't know which to choose. I have been to both institution and very impressed. I still cant decide. Can anyone share opinion they may have on either e.g. prestige, teaching style, value for money etc? I live in Birmingham, and partly why I have applied to University of Law is due to living expenditure I will save. But this I feel is not enough to disregard Nottingham Law School.

ReputationRep:
    Find out more about NTU. If the careers service is in any way shared with Kaplans, go there and don't look back.

In my experience, the CoL careers people are extremely optimistic. They're proper "glass overflowing" type people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Find out more about NTU. If the careers service is in any way shared with Kaplans, go there and don't look back.

In my experience, the CoL careers people are extremely optimistic. They're proper "glass overflowing" type people.
    Indeed it is. They offer virtually the same modules and are very closely affiliated. Can you elaborate on what you meant by College of law being overly optimistic? They claim to have 83% of applicant securing legal work on completion. But that does little to boast my chances for Pupillage as such statistic is irrelevant. Nottingham Law School claims similar with 88%.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure about the relationship between Kaplans and NTU. It seems that NTU validate Kaplans, but I don't know if anything happens in the other direction. If you don't have Pupillage/Training, Kaplans is the place to be - their statistics are much higher for finding places for their students than the other schools. Like I said, if Kaplans send anything back to NTU - I'd go there. If not - I don't really know.

As for the CoL stats - you're right, they're meaningless, and furthermore if you visit them, I'd be extremely surprised if they tell you what the exact statistics are for someone going in without Pupillage and coming out with it. I have been at several events/open days/seminars when they have been asked this (although usually in relation to TC) and they have point blank denied knowing the numbers.

I'd also caution that any stats you do get - as with BPP - may be aggregated across the group - so it may be unbalanced by centres with a high density of law firms i.e. London.

ReputationRep:
    You are absolutely right on the statistical imbalance. Plus, I feel a more narrow focused institution is better than one where resources are ultimately scattered across its different outlets.

ReputationRep:
    I had offers from City, BPP and Kaplan and I accepted Kaplan outright, just because of the courses reputation and the careers service available. I must say I was very impressed with the overall set up at Kaplan.

ReputationRep:
    I am predicted a 2.2 and wanted to know if I have a chance of getting onto a BPTC. My first choices are BPP london, COL london and City London.

Has anyone else been able to get on the course with a 2.2 or knew of someone. Many Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.