Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

so my 5 year old netbook has just died and my Dad is currently trying to fix it with no success. It hasn't been working for a while and I am thinking of replacing it.

I was looking at the iPad 2 and I have been told you can get a keyboard for it and I reckon this will probably total up to about £360ish?

I don't have to type up long essays, mainly patient notes etc and nothing more than 1000 words. I also like watching movies, playing with apps etc.

I have an iPhone and I really like that so I am assuming I will also like the iPad. But my dad seems to want me to get another netbook because of the extra storage space but tbh, how much is a few word documents going to take up? Not much.

Has anyone else tried the iPad for uni stuff and can give me some advice as to which is best?

Thanks in advance x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenniferann232)
    Hi,

so my 5 year old netbook has just died and my Dad is currently trying to fix it with no success. It hasn't been working for a while and I am thinking of replacing it.

I was looking at the iPad 2 and I have been told you can get a keyboard for it and I reckon this will probably total up to about £360ish?

I don't have to type up long essays, mainly patient notes etc and nothing more than 1000 words. I also like watching movies, playing with apps etc.

I have an iPhone and I really like that so I am assuming I will also like the iPad. But my dad seems to want me to get another netbook because of the extra storage space but tbh, how much is a few word documents going to take up? Not much.

Has anyone else tried the iPad for uni stuff and can give me some advice as to which is best?

Thanks in advance x
    I personally would get a netbook. It depends on the person obviously, but I think it would be easy to get frustrated with the limited use of a tablet. I would buy (and I have bought - it's great) this: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-a...14897-pdt.html (Acer Aspire, V5-171, £329.00, 6GB RAM, Intel Core i3 Processor).

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance x
    what about other documents? PDF's as well which take up quite a bit, the apps, movies, etc it all adds over time.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the netbook too. The iPad is more of an entertainment thing.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone tried working with the iPad?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it doesnt really work all that well :/ In my experience tablets in general are for consuming content whilst a netbook is far superior for creating content. I mean an ipad is great for looking at past lecture notes etc etc but as for creating them a netbook is still your best bet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoGoodOnesLeft)
    Yeah it doesnt really work all that well :/ In my experience tablets in general are for consuming content whilst a netbook is far superior for creating content. I mean an ipad is great for looking at past lecture notes etc etc but as for creating them a netbook is still your best bet
    is this even the case for when using a keyboard?

Only I thought that I could combine the good points of the entertainment side with the typing. Plus I'm probably a bit sad by saying this but an iPad looks nicer and seems just so much better. Maybe because i'm bored of my netbook?

ReputationRep:
    is this even the case for when using a keyboard?

Only I thought that I could combine the good points of the entertainment side with the typing. Plus I'm probably a bit sad by saying this but an iPad looks nicer and seems just so much better. Maybe because i'm bored of my netbook?
    Yeh like everyone has said the iPad isn't great for practical stuff. The apps and stuff is great, but you can get them on a netbook as well. Also a netbook has more storage too. It's easier to use when it comes to transferring files or browsing etc...

Trust me you'll realise that there are serious limitations to what the iPad can do compared to what your netbook could do. The iPad uses an OS catered to mobile users. Imagine trying to use your smartphone as your main PC. That's what the iPad is like.

Also i'd consider buying an Ultrabook. You can get some good ones for under £400. Better than a netbook.

ReputationRep:
    I've always regarded tablets as something to play with and PCs/laptops as something to work with. I don't have an iPad but have had a few other tablets and they're near-useless for any sort of serious work (I did try - the only practical application it seems to have is as a mobile library catalogue when I'm walking around shelves in the library). They look nice but they just lack the functionality of a proper workstation.

I've never had a netbook (I would always buy a small laptop over a netbook - again for functionality and spec) but if you're definitely looking at only a tablet or a netbook, netbook every time.

ReputationRep:
    or what about a 11 inch macbook? What are they like? or is there no difference between that and a netbook and the extra charge is just for the brand?

I seriously need to take my dad out to go and look at these things, I don't understand aaaanything to do with computers :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Yeh like everyone has said the iPad isn't great for practical stuff. The apps and stuff is great, but you can get them on a netbook as well. Also a netbook has more storage too. It's easier to use when it comes to transferring files or browsing etc...

Trust me you'll realise that there are serious limitations to what the iPad can do compared to what your netbook could do. The iPad uses an OS catered to mobile users. Imagine trying to use your smartphone as your main PC. That's what the iPad is like.

Also i'd consider buying an Ultrabook. You can get some good ones for under £400. Better than a netbook.
    i'm a real rookie, what's an Ultrabook :P

Feeling like a right idiot now haha

ReputationRep:
    or what about a 11 inch macbook? What are they like? or is there no difference between that and a netbook and the extra charge is just for the brand?

I seriously need to take my dad out to go and look at these things, I don't understand aaaanything to do with computers :P
    If you want to pay over £1000 for a laptop then sure.

Or with the same amount of money you could buy a cheap laptop/ultrabook/netbook which will do the job and a Audi A4....

Oh and an Ultrabook is an ever so slightly bigger netbook (usually in the 12-14" screen size) with more powerful specs then a netbook and quite light and portable. Basically it's like a powerful laptop but really thin and light and has a good battery life. Like i said it's a bit bigger then a netbook, but it'll be great for your usage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    If you want to pay over £1000 for a laptop then sure.

Or with the same amount of money you could buy a cheap laptop/ultrabook/netbook which will do the job and a Audi A4....
    I guess haha :P I also do need to learn to drive at some point. AHHH I hate being a student!

ReputationRep:
    i like the fujitsu u772, you should check it out

ReputationRep:
    All my course people who have ipad's tend to also have a laptop as well.
    Its nice to have to for browsing, playing games and viewing presentation and work.

ReputationRep:
    so from this i'm getting the impression that if I wanted an iPad, I would be better off getting a netbook.

That's kinda sad, I did really want an iPad but if i'm going to not really be able to word process on it then that might annoy me later on and because technically my dad broke my netbook in the first place i'm getting some money towards a new one but if I choose the wrong thing then I will have to save up AGAIN to get something else.
    If I got a MacBook, even though my friend says they are fast and maintain their speed I would have to wait a long time and I also wouldn't be able to maybe start driving this summer, which I really want (and need!) to do.

Maybe a netbook is the way forward but I still have a quesiton,

What is an Ultrabook? :P

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this- http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenov...k_1264310.html

As i said above, an Ultrabook is an ever so slightly bigger netbook (usually in the 12-14" screen size) with more powerful specs then a netbook and quite light and portable. Basically it's like a powerful laptop but really thin and light and has a good battery life. Like i said it's a bit bigger then a netbook, but it'll be great for your usage. They are really fast as well, you'll notice a speed difference between your old netbook and an ultrabook.

ReputationRep:
    ooo thank you! I reckon even a rock and a piece of chalk would be faster at the moment. When my netbook does work it can't even keep up with my typing, I can't listen to music or watch films. It annoys me so thanks for all the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.