Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right I applied for an e-marketing job last night with a well known company. The skills they require for the job were more basic skills & qualities rather than specific skills which would have been gained from previous work experience. I am due to graduate and I have a year's experience of a similar job gained from part time work. They have emailed me back asking what my salary expectations are. I've seen similar jobs in London which offer between 20-25k however as I'm from the North, salaries are lower due to low living costs. How should I reply? Above or below what I expect? I don't want to sell myself short as they may negotiate however I don't want to seen too greedy. Any advice? Never been in this situation before. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer to sell my self a bit short so I can could get the job. I would go for 21500.

ReputationRep:
    If the job is actually based in the north then don't expect to get a salary that you would get in London. You could email them asking what they consider fair, and try workout that way. For this type of entry level job you could say that you would be happy with anything between £19k-£22k, best to sell yourself short than lose out to someone willing to work for less.

ReputationRep:
    Business is all about making as much profit for as little cost as possible, and the fact they're asking you suggests the employer is quite tight with salaries. If you want the job you should sell yourself short or you will lose out. If it's below what you want then just keep looking for a job and leave once you find one more suitable. When you're jobless you shouldn't be aiming too high.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.