Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, and I am wanting to upgrade its seemingly weak processor. Here are its specifications:

CPU: AMD A6-3410MX APU Quad-Core with Radeon HD Graphics (1.60Ghz)
    RAM: 6.00GB
    64-bit Operating System

If you need any more spec's just ask and I would be happy to provide.

I saw a fairly decent CPU which looks like a decent upgrade to my one, although I am not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff:

AMD Phenom II N970 Quad 2.20-GHz processor (2.0-MB L2 cache, 1333-MHz FSB, 35W, 3.6 gigatransfers/second)

Is this a good upgrade, or is there a better CPU that I could buy instead. I am not sure about things such as compatibility, and 'will it over-heat?' and whether this will improve my laptop noticeably whilst gaming, for example.

Also, money is kind of a 'limitation'. To be honest, the lower the price the better, as long as I will be able to see a difference in my laptops performance. Additionally, I don't really want to have to also upgrade my motherboard or other components if the CPU is to powerful and requires better support - please suggest CPU's that do not require anything else to be upgraded, thank you. All feedback is greatly appreciated, as I feel my laptop could be significantly improved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooQuix)
    Hey there,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, and I am wanting to upgrade its seemingly weak processor. Here are its specifications:

CPU: AMD A6-3410MX APU Quad-Core with Radeon HD Graphics (1.60Ghz)
    RAM: 6.00GB
    64-bit Operating System

If you need any more spec's just ask and I would be happy to provide.

I saw a fairly decent CPU which looks like a decent upgrade to my one, although I am not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff:

AMD Phenom II N970 Quad 2.20-GHz processor (2.0-MB L2 cache, 1333-MHz FSB, 35W, 3.6 gigatransfers/second)

Is this a good upgrade, or is there a better CPU that I could buy instead. I am not sure about things such as compatibility, and 'will it over-heat?' and whether this will improve my laptop noticeably whilst gaming, for example.

Also, money is kind of a 'limitation'. To be honest, the lower the price the better, as long as I will be able to see a difference in my laptops performance. Additionally, I don't really want to have to also upgrade my motherboard or other components if the CPU is to powerful and requires better support - please suggest CPU's that do not require anything else to be upgraded, thank you. All feedback is greatly appreciated, as I feel my laptop could be significantly improved.
    Sorry to say, but there is serious limitations when it comes to upgrading the processor, even more so on a laptop.

Its quite clear you think that you can do what you can do on a desktop, but you can't........laptops have serious limitations.

You could possibly upgrade, but I need much more info, the exact model name of it.
    I should also state that not all cpu's will be possible, but in fact laptop makers have a base model and different versions of it.

Other issues, overheating, possible issues with running properly, lower battery life due to more power, etc
    It depends again............... AMD's APU's are basically a dual cpu and gpu system, the one you want is a just a cpu leaving your system without a gpu.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your feedback.

I realise that there are limitations as to how to upgrade a laptop's components, and that there is a difference between what you can do to a laptop compared to a desktop, I am just unaware of which processors are suitable for a laptop and which are compatible.

Could you please specify which information you need exactly in order to help me chose a suitable CPU or tell me if I can even upgrade at all. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, and I am wanting to upgrade its seemingly weak processor..
    Yeh that's not going to happen.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your feedback.

I realise that there are limitations as to how to upgrade a laptop's components, and that there is a difference between what you can do to a laptop compared to a desktop, I am just unaware of which processors are suitable for a laptop and which are compatible.

Could you please specify which information you need exactly in order to help me chose a suitable CPU or tell me if I can even upgrade at all. Thank you.
    The exact model name..........usually with HP Pavilion dv6 there are a few more numerical/alphabetical values.

And even then you'll still be limited by choice, your gain is going to be minimal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    And even then you'll still be limited by choice, your gain is going to be minimal.
    Pretty much this. Even if the processor is upgradeable your choice will probably be a same series CPU with a minimal advantage. It'd be cheaper to just sell and buy a new laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    System Model: HP Pavilion dv6-6b08sa
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor: AMD A6-3410MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date: Hewlett-Packard F.02, 02/09/2011
    SMBIOS Version: 2.7

Code on the bottom of the laptop: 584037-001

Is this enough?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know most laptop CPUs are soldered in (as opposed to just resting on the pins/in the slots like a desktop) to save space, so upgrading a laptop CPU really isn't an option.

ReputationRep:
    Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    System Model: HP Pavilion dv6-6b08sa
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor: AMD A6-3410MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date: Hewlett-Packard F.02, 02/09/2011
    SMBIOS Version: 2.7

Code on the bottom of the laptop: 584037-001

Is this enough?
    Most I can find is that it has the amd rs880m chipset which is the motherboard.
    But can't find any info on the cpu.

Have a look on HP'S forum and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    If your interest is gaming then realistically a dedicated GPU is likely to improve things much more than a CPU upgrade. Unfortunately as it's a laptop it's unlikely you can do that. You're probably better off buying a new system instead.

ReputationRep:
    You can't replace a CPU on a stock laptop - simple as that. Well you can, but it's going to be extremely tough and next to impossible. Most CPU's are soldered onto the motherboards.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a list of cpus compatible with the socket in your laptop (FS1).
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_FS1.html

To anyone saying he can't, I've already had this argument (and been wrong about it), you'd be amazed how many laptop cpus are socketed.

ReputationRep:
    And none of those CPU's offer any substantial advantage at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    And none of those CPU's offer any substantial advantage at all.
    No, none are worth bothering with. I just got distracted by the "it's not possible" argument and found a list.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.