Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Any stummers/stutters here on tsr? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I stutter ,anyone else stutters? And how do you deal with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I occasionally stutter or repeat one word several million times one after the other in a sentence - I just think really hard about what I'm trying to say and slow down my speech in order to get the accuracy better.

ReputationRep:
    Lol is that why you wrote your name twice? I do it on a regular basis when ever I talk , people always say "pardon" and I stutter all over it sucks man. However I heard there's a therapy for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    I occasionally stutter or repeat one word several million times one after the other in a sentence - I just think really hard about what I'm trying to say and slow down my speech in order to get the accuracy better.
    Lol is that why you wrote your name twice? I do it on a regular basis when ever I talk , people always say "pardon" and I stutter all over it sucks man. However I heard there's a therapy for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Lucifer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see what you did there....
    But no, my name is actually derived from my ancestry, one of my favourite chocolates, and an old nickname of mine
    Yeah I tend to get the "pardon" response when I talk to quickly and as a result of my speed when talking I start to stutter, but slowing down the speech really helps - granted it takes time but the self-discipline really helps. In a way it's like doing your own therapy for yourself

ReputationRep:
    I often trip over my words, it's a side effect of my anxiety, I talk too fast and sometimes mix up the letters. Most people get the gist of what I'm saying though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    I see what you did there....
    But no, my name is actually derived from my ancestry, one of my favourite chocolates, and an old nickname of mine
    Yeah I tend to get the "pardon" response when I talk to quickly and as a result of my speed when talking I start to stutter, but slowing down the speech really helps - granted it takes time but the self-discipline really helps. In a way it's like doing your own therapy for yourself
    Well I talk quick as well and that doesn't usually go well. However I am a very confident person but sometimes gets in the way when I want to talk to a girl because I'm afraid she'll be crept out by my stutter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I talk quick as well and that doesn't usually go well. However I am a very confident person but sometimes gets in the way when I want to talk to a girl because I'm afraid she'll be crept out by my stutter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like to think I'm confident too, but just try everything you can to talk slower and it should make things better. Just think: Relax, Think, Slow, Talk and things should be better - it takes time though so don't expect it to work first time round

ReputationRep:
    I stutter ,anyone else stutters? And how do you deal with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not a stummer, it's a stammer and people who stammer are called stammerers.
    Visit your doctor and let them know you would like to see a speech and language therapist and they'll arrange it for you and the speech therapist will find what works for you.

ReputationRep:
    I've had an issue with stuttering for a good part of my life, it's mild though and hardly noticeable.

Oh, how I deal with it. I talk quite fast sometimes but to prevent stuttering, I slow down my speech

ReputationRep:
    I used to badly but I had speech therapy. I do it now but only when I'm stressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose)
    It's not a stummer, it's a stammer and people who stammer are called stammerers.
    Visit your doctor and let them know you would like to see a speech and language therapist and they'll arrange it for you and the speech therapist will find what works for you.
    Does that not cause problems? "I'm a stammererererer"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Does that not cause problems? "I'm a stammererererer"
    Probably

ReputationRep:
    I used to talk quite quickly but I've learned to slow down now. You just have to take deep breaths and think about what you're trying to say before you say it.

ReputationRep:
    I do, because I speak so quickly. Funnily enough, I do it most often around people I know rather than around strangers, which I've always found odd.

I sometimes get this. Luckily not very often. So embarrassing when you're trying to say something and the words get scrambled on your tongue :o::o: I've always just stopped talking immediately, taken a deep breath, and said it again slowly. It usually happens when I'm nervous and saying something quickly.

Often when I get nervous other than that im fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, ive stammered since i was around 5-6 years old, im now 21. I have a 'block" stutter rather than one most people recognise, for example if i had to say the word "but" i wouldnt say b-b-b-but i would say b.................but.

I hate my stammer it has stopped me doing a lot of things in life and has really reduced my confidence. After some speech therapy though ive gotten more confident and desensitised to stammering. I want to go into a career as IT Support and with that job comes one of my biggest fears which is, talking on the phone.

Unlike most people when they say they stutter when they are nervous, i stutter when im not and im much worse when nervous. It hasnt stopped me from doing anything though, i still present in front of 40+ people when i need to and i order what i want at a restaurant rather than what i can say.

I didnt have no one to talk to about my stammer so if you want to talk about it then let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken Hulk)
    I have a 'block" stutter rather than one most people recognise, for example if i had to say the word "but" i wouldnt say b-b-b-but i would say b.................but.
    This is what I have too! I've never thought of it as a stutter before, just tripping over my words, but somebody mentioned it to me the other day and I was like, hm. Maybe it is a stutter. It's not horrendous but it can be quite embarrassing. I just try to think about what I'm going to say before I actually say it, that helps a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    This is what I have too! I've never thought of it as a stutter before, just tripping over my words, but somebody mentioned it to me the other day and I was like, hm. Maybe it is a stutter. It's not horrendous but it can be quite embarrassing. I just try to think about what I'm going to say before I actually say it, that helps a little.
    Yep thats a good technique, also dont forget to breath lol thats where a lot of people find trouble when stuttering..including myself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.