The Student Room Group

UCL vs. University of Toronto

Hello,

I've been accepted to UCL and U of T for an undergraduate bachelors degree starting in the academic year 2013-2014, and I'm stuck between the two.

At U of T I'll be going to Trinity College for Arts & Sciences in the Humanities stream and hopefully doing the Ethics Stream of the Trinity One Program. I've also received some extra benefits (ie scholarships)

At UCL I'll be doing a B.A. in Philosophy.

My own comparison runs like this: UCL is faster, 3 years instead of 4, but that's not necessarily a good thing. UCL I'll only get to study philosophy whereas I want a broader undergraduate education which U of T would more easily accomodate. I'm interested in mathematics, history and some sciences as well.

Financially, UCL is more expensive (~$100,000 for 3 years) whereas U of T is ~$80,000 for 4 years.

MY QUESTION IS: WHICH UNIVERSITY DO YOU THINK IS BETTER FOR ME AND WHY?
Reply 1
Maybe university of Toronto: two reasons,
1. You have to save some money for when you get out of uni and start looking for a job
2. It doesn't matter that UCL is shorter, in fact seeing as it is shorter you'll probably learn less stuff
As a U of T student I'll throw in my vote for Toronto. It is an excellent school and Trinity is a great college with a great environment. The professors are for the most part excellent, and very accomodating, however you need to approach them, obviously. I have found during my current process of graduate applications, how generous professors are with their time if you ask in advance.

Toronto is also a great city, and probably less expensive to live in than London, though still expensive. Also, as you say, you will have access to a wider range of course options here, and there is an incredibly wide range. U of T has the widest range of programs and courses in Canada, and you can always change your major if you realize you don't like program early on, as I did. U of T has great strengths in literature and Medieval Studies and Languages and their Philosophy program is excellent as well. I cannot comment on your specific program, but I do know that Trinity is excellent, and in any case you could easily take Philosophy as a Minor or as a Concurrent Major or simply as electives. Programs are quite flexible. Do check your programr equirements though since some (highlight some) have oppressive breadth requirements, though most allow you a great deal of freedom.

All I can really say on top of this is that I have enjoyed every second I have been here, and have found the academic environment incredibly stimulating and rewarding in my field of Medieval Literature and History (U of T has one of the best Centres for Medieval Studies int he world by the way), and I wholeheartedly reccomend it to you. In my opinion the flexibility of programs has been an incredible benefit and it allowed me to find my true passion, namely the Middle Ages. I was able to change from a Renaisscance focus to a Medieval one after taking a Medieval course and realizing like a prodigcal student that i had loved it all along. So if you aren't 100% sure that you want to do Philosophy and only Philosophy, I would recommend Toronto, since it would allow you to discover or rediscover other passions, and also increase the breadth of graduate programs you might be able to apply to should you so choose.

Anyway that's the best i can do.
Best of Luck with your education!
Reply 3
Original post by ericcanadian
Hello,

I've been accepted to UCL and U of T for an undergraduate bachelors degree starting in the academic year 2013-2014, and I'm stuck between the two.

At U of T I'll be going to Trinity College for Arts & Sciences in the Humanities stream and hopefully doing the Ethics Stream of the Trinity One Program. I've also received some extra benefits (ie scholarships)

At UCL I'll be doing a B.A. in Philosophy.

My own comparison runs like this: UCL is faster, 3 years instead of 4, but that's not necessarily a good thing. UCL I'll only get to study philosophy whereas I want a broader undergraduate education which U of T would more easily accomodate. I'm interested in mathematics, history and some sciences as well.

Financially, UCL is more expensive (~$100,000 for 3 years) whereas U of T is ~$80,000 for 4 years.

MY QUESTION IS: WHICH UNIVERSITY DO YOU THINK IS BETTER FOR ME AND WHY?

UCL has the better brand name, reputation, rankings, prestige etc. However, given how many benefits you've enumerated by choosing U of T, perhaps you should go for Toronto. Seems like the better overall decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending