Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I will be taking my Unit 3 Business Studies exam in the end of May and i was wondering whether there are any good tips or effective ways to revise and anything i could do to handle the hard topics?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What exam board?

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newstudent2013)
    Edexcel
    Oh sorry I do AQA

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it mainly just basic knowledge about businesses?

ReputationRep:
    I think AQA may be doing the same thing or something similar anyway.. Well in Unit 1 : Introduction to small business is all about the main knowledge of a business but Unit 3 : Building a business talks about the law of business, communication, ethics,advertisement and other topics such as breaking even in a business which can be quite tricky..

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I will be taking my Unit 3 Business Studies exam in the end of May and i was wondering whether there are any good tips or effective ways to revise and anything i could do to handle the hard topics?

Thanks!
    I did GCSE Edexcel Business Studies and got an A . Get this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCSE...4984019&sr=8-1

My teacher made the whole class get it since it was that good. Read the book, ask your teacher if you don't understand something on there and do ALL the long questions carrying a lot of marks. Just make sure you understand the disadvantages and advantages of every method e.g. problems and advantages of quality control and assurance, how bad communication can affect a firm etc. Make sure you can analyse well i.e. this means.., this leads to..., as a result, however... . Be good at evaluations. Do ALL past papers, they help so much with exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    I did GCSE Edexcel Business Studies and got an A . Get this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCSE...4984019&sr=8-1

My teacher made the whole class get it since it was that good. Read the book, ask your teacher if you don't understand something on there and do ALL the long questions carrying a lot of marks. Just make sure you understand the disadvantages and advantages of every method e.g. problems and advantages of quality control and assurance, how bad communication can affect a firm etc. Make sure you can analyse well i.e. this means.., this leads to..., as a result, however... . Be good at evaluations. Do ALL past papers, they help so much with exam technique.

Wow thats really good Thankyou every much i actually have 'Revise Edexcel GCSE Business' workbook that i am currently using to revise... Thank you very much i will remember to use those techniques Any website that I can get past papers from?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats really good Thankyou every much i actually have 'Revise Edexcel GCSE Business' workbook that i am currently using to revise... Thank you very much i will remember to use those techniques Any website that I can get past papers from?

Thanks!
    http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/studen...astpapers.aspx

When you do past papers and the questions from the book I suggested, get your teacher to mark your work and also give you advice on how to do better and always ask her/him for feedback. Try to get very high marks for unit 1 since it's multiple choice and a LOT easier than unit 3.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/studen...astpapers.aspx

When you do past papers and the questions from the book I suggested, get your teacher to mark your work and also give you advice on how to do better and always ask her/him for feedback. Try to get very high marks for unit 1 since it's multiple choice and a LOT easier than unit 3.

Good luck
    Thanks I will get my teacher to mark it..

Thanks a lot much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I did the GCSE Edexcel Business Studies course 2 years ago and got an A* overall - both an A* in coursework and exam. It was definitely my best subject at GCSE and this is why I am still studying an Edexcel Business Studies course at A-Level at the moment. If you want any help, if you ask me I will be happy to help.

What topics do you find particularly hard?

ReputationRep:
    im doing the same board- just read over the easy stuff and any stuff that you don't understand make notes on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
    I did the GCSE Edexcel Business Studies course 2 years ago and got an A* overall - both an A* in coursework and exam. It was definitely my best subject at GCSE and this is why I am still studying an Edexcel Business Studies course at A-Level at the moment. If you want any help, if you ask me I will be happy to help.

What topics do you find particularly hard?

Wow thats great Topics such as consumer protection laws, remuneration and break even can be quite tricky....

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats great Topics such as consumer protection laws, remuneration and break even can be quite tricky....
    Consumer protection laws are really just a case of memorising them all (or a good few of them). In many cases, if you can't quite remember what one of the laws does (e.g. the consumer protection act), just take an educated guess about what it does based on its name.

Remuneration is just a fancy name for what the employer does for the employee in return for working. Remuneration can be categorised into two main types; monetary and fringe benefits. Monetary is any way that the employer remunerates by directly giving the employee money e.g. in a wage or salary. Fringe benefits are non-monetary benefits that the employee can receive e.g. a company car, health insurance etc...

Break even is just the point where revenue is the same as cost and therefore profit is £0. It is the point between a business making money and losing money. At the break even point, the business has essentially gained nothing from operating.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much i will keep this in mind

I also wanted to ask on how to answer a question that talks about whether a company will break even or how much a company will need to sell to break even (this has to be done without analyzing a graph)...?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much i will keep this in mind

I also wanted to ask on how to answer a question that talks about whether a company will break even or how much a company will need to sell to break even (this has to be done without analyzing a graph)...?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...ysisrev3.shtml

There's the formulae for break even. You just need fixed costs, selling price and variable cost per unit to work out break even, not necessarily a graph. Just practice applying the formula an make sure you know that break even is where no profit nor loss is made. You might have to say if you think a firm will break even. In that case think about what is helping it to get high sales e.g. quality, customer service, promotion, marketing mix etc, and what is making it difficult for the firm to get high sales e.g. competition, suppliers failing to deliver stock on time. Then you may have to conclude e.g. depends on number of competitors entering and leaving the market.

ReputationRep:
    can someone get me a 2013 which has 3.1 marketing and 3.3 finance both in the same paper

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.