Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi there,

I'm writing cos I'm basically fed up with my life and don't know how to get out of it....

I am currently doing a masters, but to cut a long story short- I didn't even want to do it in the first place (my dad made me) cos I'm fed up with education and writing essays and pretty much the generic student life. I just want to be in a job, earning money and moving out from home.

I moved away from home for my undergrad and went to a decent uni. Made fab friends and came away with a decent degree. Loved it. Ever since moving back home and doing my masters I've been so sad. I can't get a student loan so had to get a part-time job in a supermarket to make ends meet and pay the rent at home etc. Doing a masters is pretty demanding, uni work wise. I cant see my friends ever cos I am either working or doing uni work. But even if I could... I don't have the cash to.... .

I'm just so sad cos nothing I'm doing right now is what I want to do, but I have no choice but to.

Really doesn't help that my supervisors and bosses at work make me feel so worthless, reporting me every 5 mins, blanking me when I say hi. It's basically work-place bullying by arrogant under-qualified middle management.

On top of it all, I've just recovered from major surgery where I was on crutches for 3 months and that was after someone in my family died.

On the plus side, I've managed to get myself a paid internship, I don't really have the time but I'd be stupid to say no to it after a year of constant applying....

I see my friends moving out from home, getting a job, going on nights outs, dating, getting engaged.....and I'm stuck in the same old rut where I can't do any of that...

Basically I want my life back I'm so sad right now.....

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I`m so sorry to hear this. You`ve touched on a lot of issues and I think the best think to do is ask yourself which is the one area in your life that is the most intolerable? Is it your job? [which frankly,sounds like a nightmare]. The Internship sounds like a really positive thing,so focus on this and your studies. I know we all need a job to pay the bills ,but at the end of the day if it is really making you miserable,i would look for an alternative.[Easier said than done,i know]. Life`s too damn short to be doing something that is making you unhappy. Have you thought of asking your friends if any of them need a flat mate? It would be cheaper than getting your own place and give you the space away from your parents that you need. Don`t forget,it might also be a bit stressful for your parents having you back at home ,when they thought you had flown the nest.!! Maybe the very first step is to talk to your parents. Have a real heart to heart with them. Explain to them exactly how you feel about your life at the moment; that basically you want A LIFE ,and ask if there is anything they suggest. If they feel you are including them in it and can see that you value their opinions they will probably be delighted to offer some advice. The best of luck to you in your choices, Lisa.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.