The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jonty
With your rather supercilious attitude, young man, (I take it from your photo you are male?) I somehow doubt anyone from anywhere would bother to make your acquaintance.

What a pity this remark can't be attached your personal statement or C.V. for a future employer to see what an unsuitable candidate you would make for any post.

"Oh, I was only joking!" Right.

Jonty

Young man? For the sake of clarity: I am no more male than I am supercilious. Your doubt is misplaced: I am in education; thus, I have many acquaintances, it would be more difficult to have none.
I believe you meant 'friends?'

A great pity it is.

P.S. I was not joking :smile:
Reply 61
A scouser that meets my standards? :lol: Good joke.
Reply 62
Yes x
Reply 63
Original post by jonty
What a pity this remark can't be attached your personal statement or C.V. for a future employer to see what an unsuitable candidate you would make for any post.

Why do you think she would be tempted to put a forum post on their CV?

Incidentally, while I can't speak for the aforementioned poster, I personally don't care about what employers see about me on the Web. If I meant what I said and an employer doesn't like it, then that's their problem. (Though I definitely think the rules about this sort of stuff need to change, as employers are allowed to discriminate based on some things you say but not others.)
Original post by Llamageddon
Oh come on. If I made a thread asking people if they would consider dating a black person who otherwise meets their requirements then the negs would be in triple digits.

Perhaps, but there's no good reason for those negs to be in triple digits. They'd be in triple digits because people would instantly and wrongly assume I'm a racist. If I ask a question it doesn't reflect my own views, it just means I'm curious to know the views of others. I did make that extremely clear.

For example, if I were to ask "Do you like Snickers bars? Would you eat a Snickers bar given the chance?" it'd be completely illogical to leap to the conclusion that I don't like Snickers bars.

I actually quite like Snickers bars.
Reply 65
Original post by jonty
Respectfully, my friend, with a post of that standard, I suspect the power of thought is beyond you :smile:

Jonty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeYDI4wdjQw

Jimmy Carr was making a joke, watch around 1.20
Original post by AvocatDuDiable
Imagine a guy/girl who you'd want to go out with. We're not talking Mr/Miss Perfect here, just someone who meets your standards. Could even be a real person you know and admire.

Now imagine that person with a scouse accent. Would you still go out with them, given the chance?

(DISCLAIMER: I am in no way criticising, making wild generalisations about or otherwise insulting scousers. Most scousers I've encountered are very nice people. I'm just curious to know TSR's opinions.)

What??? I love the scouse accent. When I first got to Liverpool it was a bit too fast for me, but overtime I've come to love it (and find it sexy sometimes) :colondollar:
I'm from Liverpool, and I hate really strong scouse accents, but I wouldn't not date someone purely due to their accent :smile:
Original post by Lexi99
Me too! Or a northern accent of any kind!!

Yes! Scouse, Yorkshire and some Manc accents, specifically :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AvocatDuDiable
Imagine a guy/girl who you'd want to go out with. We're not talking Mr/Miss Perfect here, just someone who meets your standards. Could even be a real person you know and admire.

Now imagine that person with a scouse accent. Would you still go out with them, given the chance?

(DISCLAIMER: I am in no way criticising, making wild generalisations about or otherwise insulting scousers. Most scousers I've encountered are very nice people. I'm just curious to know TSR's opinions.)

Al Murray nails the scouse accent here.
Original post by jonty
I doubt you'll ever find a female companion of any species.

Poor chap.

Jonty

I doubt anyone cares about your opinion,.
Original post by datpiff
Alright alright.... Calm down, calm down...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dammit, read it in scouse accent.
Reply 72
Original post by jonty
With your rather supercilious attitude, young man, (I take it from your photo you are male?) I somehow doubt anyone from anywhere would bother to make your acquaintance.

"Oh, I was only joking!" Right.

Jonty

Your steady stream of grandiloquent verbosity is doing my ****ing head in.

And yes, I would go out with a Scouser.
Reply 73
Original post by College_Dropout
I doubt anyone cares about your opinion,.

Well you appear to, or why bother responding.

Grow up.

Jonty
Reply 74
Original post by HollyB_C

I am no more male than I am supercilious.

P.S. I was not joking :smile:

Apologies for the gender error, madam.

However, I doubt that you know the meaning of the word 'supercilious'. Just check out your original remark.

I am pleased to see you are in education; by definition, you are still in the process of learning. There is still time to learn the error of your ways. Please understand that if you carry your attitude into the workplace, very soon will you be held to account for it. Of that, you can be quite sure.

Jonty
Reply 75
Original post by jonty
Apologies for the gender error, madam.

However, I doubt that you know the meaning of the word 'supercilious'. Just check out your original remark.

I am pleased to see you are in education; by definition, you are still in the process of learning. There is still time to learn the error of your ways. Please understand that if you carry your attitude into the workplace, very soon will you be held to account for it. Of that, you can be quite sure.

Jonty

You are forgiven.

You seem to behold some sort of belief that anybody who does not like the 'Scouse' accent is guilty of class prejudice. My reasoning was based purely on sound

I work, actually. In an estate agents and we do not offer our services to those kind of people :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 76
Original post by Treeroy

....... I personally don't care about what employers see about me on the Web. If I meant what I said and an employer doesn't like it, then that's their problem. (Though I definitely think the rules about this sort of stuff need to change, as employers are allowed to discriminate based on some things you say but not others.)

Hmmm......... I think it time for you to 'Chill.'

Why would it be the employer's problem?

Afterall, it's you that approaches them and not the other way round - unless, of course, you're a select Ox-Bridge student being poached or head hunted for a high profile position. In this day and age, however, it's a matter of record that each and every position, no matter how menial, is hotly contested and you are expected to shine. Any blot on your copy book, no matter how trivial you consider it, could compromise your application. So be warned: be very careful what you write or publish on any internet or social networking site. It is all a matter of record.

Employers including most banks, Civil Service, Military, Police, British Airways, Social Work (Local Authority), Medicine including teaching, carry out preliminary checks with internet providers as a matter of course - whether or not you consider it appropriate - and it's surprising what can be gleaned about any of us from our electronic footprint.

And why do you term an employer's vetting of a prospective employee 'discriminatory'?

If you're an unsuitable or unsavoury individual, why should they bother with you? Surely if you don't cut the mustard you should be out; afterall, if you're a liability, and you muck up, it is they who bear the brunt for employing you in the first place, like it or not.

As condescending as this may sound, it's a tough world out there, so start preparing.

Jonty
Reply 77
Original post by Teofilo
Your steady stream of grandiloquent verbosity is doing my ****ing head in.

And yes, I would go out with a Scouser.

Fair enough :wink:
Reply 78
Original post by HollyB_C
You are forgiven.

You seem to behold some sort of belief that anybody who does not like the 'Scouse' accent is guilty of class prejudice. My reasoning was based purely on sound

I work, actually. In an estate agents and we do not offer our services to those kind of people :smile:

Spoiler

You're too kind.

But don't get me started on estate agents - only kidding!!
Reply 79
I wouldn't. Let me elaborate before I get negged (although I assume neggers will have already negged me).

I have no issue with Liverpudlians. my mum's family are ALL scouse, and by extension I'm half (my dad was born in Warrington so I'm a scouse-woolyback...yeah). In the 60's, they created new areas of towns (Birkenhead, Speke and Runcorn among others) then filled them with Liverpudlians that lived in Liverpool. Pretty sure this is now called ethnic cleansing but ah well... :awesome:

Either way, these people then have children (and unfortunately, some less than favourable families have LOADS), and these kids are Woolybacks if they're born/grow up in Runcorn (where I live). They are NOT scouse. They learn to speak from their parents (and in some cases I use that term very loosely) and end up talking with a scouse accent.

Behold the plastic scouser (or if you're a scouser it's called a "plazzie scally ladddd", and no, that's not an exaggeration), and in the low income areas that the "new areas" became, because they're all council housing areas so by default a lot of the occupants are on benefits, and consider being on benefits a career rather than trying to get a job. I know people who are 50+ and they've NEVER worked. Ever. Left school with no/few GCSEs and then just signed on at 18.

Plus, the scouse accent irritates me. Nothing to do with if you're from Liverpool or not, it irritates me because it's everywhere.

Latest

Trending

Trending