Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm in my final year at university and graduating in a few months, so is my boyfriend. We've been friends for two years and became best friends and then started dating at the beginning of our final year. The problem is that neither of us really know what we're doing after we graduate. I'm planning to travel and live at home and he may either be at home with his family halfway across the world or living in London which is reasonably close.

We both sort of agreed at the beginning of this year we would just take things how they came, enjoy it as we went and not worry about the future. To my mind, no matter how much I care about him and enjoy being with him, I've always assumed it would end after we graduate.

Recently though he keeps saying things like I never tell him how I feel. Or I don't show him I care enough. I get the feeling he is hinting for me to tell him I love him or demonstrate some commitment. I've never let myself think of it as a long-term or serious thing even though I do love being with him, I don't believe in LDRs and think things will be too hard after we graduate so there is no point in making it more difficult for ourselves.

The problem is the only thing we fight about it how I put work above him or will say I'm too tired for sex or whatever because I've been in the library all day. Since this is my final term at university I want to make sure I see my friends and get lots of work done so I can say I gave it my best shot. Meanwhile he's suggesting that he'll come stay round mine (single bed) every night. I know I won't sleep well and I want freedom and time to see other people besides him in my final term but I get the sense he is pushing for more from me.

Should I call it quits early even though I really enjoy the time I spend with him? I just feel he's asking too much of me and we've talked about it before but it continues to be an issue. Do I have one last term of enjoying being with him and risk getting more emotionally involved or do I call it quits early and make sure I make the most of my last term at university?

ReputationRep:
    Show him your post. Problem solved.

A slightly more discrete method would be to leave your laptop/PC/Mac open with this page minimized and leave the room. Someone as clingy as that will have a peak sooner or later and he'll get the message.

Am currently in a similar situation. Girlfriend on the other side of the world. I didn't think it would be that bad and it would kind of end as soon as we were thousands of miles apart, but a few days after we were distant from each other we both realised just how much we do love each other. She often cries because she misses me and it will be ages before we see each other again. I get upset and I will admit I have cried (and i am not that sort of guy).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I'm in my final year at university and graduating in a few months, so is my boyfriend. We've been friends for two years and became best friends and then started dating at the beginning of our final year. The problem is that neither of us really know what we're doing after we graduate. I'm planning to travel and live at home and he may either be at home with his family halfway across the world or living in London which is reasonably close.

We both sort of agreed at the beginning of this year we would just take things how they came, enjoy it as we went and not worry about the future. To my mind, no matter how much I care about him and enjoy being with him, I've always assumed it would end after we graduate.

Recently though he keeps saying things like I never tell him how I feel. Or I don't show him I care enough. I get the feeling he is hinting for me to tell him I love him or demonstrate some commitment. I've never let myself think of it as a long-term or serious thing even though I do love being with him, I don't believe in LDRs and think things will be too hard after we graduate so there is no point in making it more difficult for ourselves.

The problem is the only thing we fight about it how I put work above him or will say I'm too tired for sex or whatever because I've been in the library all day. Since this is my final term at university I want to make sure I see my friends and get lots of work done so I can say I gave it my best shot. Meanwhile he's suggesting that he'll come stay round mine (single bed) every night. I know I won't sleep well and I want freedom and time to see other people besides him in my final term but I get the sense he is pushing for more from me.

Should I call it quits early even though I really enjoy the time I spend with him? I just feel he's asking too much of me and we've talked about it before but it continues to be an issue. Do I have one last term of enjoying being with him and risk getting more emotionally involved or do I call it quits early and make sure I make the most of my last term at university?
    Yes I think you should end it now, he is clearly smitten with you and your heart is clearly not all that into it. Unless you two sort this one way or another it is only going to cause more arguments and friction between you both. Relationships can work when one person is away from the other, even the otherside of the world, however as I said doesn't look like you are that bothered about the relationship so I suggest end it now so he can find someone else. No points stringing him along or dragging it out until the time you go off traveling, only going to make things worse, if you are going to end it, then end it now. It is not fair to continue like this, especially as you feel trapped.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.